Incontinence? Anyone? Anyone??! (Also known as "Sorry kids, but no I can't come trampolining/jogging/play tag with you..." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Having searched incontinence issues and gotten overwhelmed with diaper services and surgery options, Im hoping to find other mothers that are experiencing or have experienced this issue and have some actual feedback to report?

I first noticed about 8 years ago when we bought a trampoline that suddenly my body was not doing everything it should be! Im not carrying weight, otherwise healthy, fit, normal pregnancies (two at that stage) and my youngest was 2. But I quickly discovered bouncing was not a dry activity!

Shortly thereafter, a night out dancing turned into a night on the sidelines as I discovered that rapid movement was not my friend.

Then a 3rd child later I did experience some unusual heaviness (we don't need too much detail) during pregnancy, another natural birth, but when I started schooling horses again I discovered that I was needing to freshen up between horses...not pleasant!

Some 3 years later I have resigned myself to not being able to take up running, not participating in elongated activities with the kids (about 30 mins of tag is my comfort limit) and certainly no trampolining. I also abstain from impromptu dancing at parties more than a hip wiggle or toe tap n shoulder dip. But seriously, my dancing is no loss to anyone.

It may have improved a little since immediately following the pregnancies but it is still an annoying limitation in my life.

I foolishly did not take heed of pelvic floor exercises as I was active and swam (fairly competitively) for each pregnancy, and have been fit and healthy all my life. Us amazon women did not need to worry about pelvic floor issues... And now here I am. Lamenting about my lack of attention to my pelvic floor.

So finally yesterday, as I watched a fellow mother take to the trampoline with her kids, while another prepared for her 1/2 marathon, I wonder- can I get myself out of this being a watcher for the rest of my life??

But nowhere on the net is there any one who has genuine reports on the success of pelvic floor excercises or permanency ... so I am considering starting a blog that details an initial status, my actions and results in trampoline bounces and distance able to run, and maybe how far into a song I get before having to leave the dance floor. I would really love some motivation/inspiration and feedback of how many others are suffering in silence??!!

#2 of 4 Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

My incontinence issues have gotten waaaay better since I started doing Katy Bowman's recommendations, which are different than the regular ones you'd get. I read about her here on Mothering, in a recent incontinence thread. Here's a good summary article/interview with her:

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

This post on the kind of squatting that actually strengthens your pelvic floor is really helpful (I've improved my incontinence simply by doing this type of un-tucked tail squatting):

http://www.alignedandwell.com/?p=1310&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=223

But the kind of squatting I've been doing is even easier and faster than the above process, and it's helped me: doorknob squatting, also described by Katy Bowman:

http://www.alignedandwell.com/?p=864&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=223

Hope some of this helps you. I noticed a difference in posture right away, and a difference in continence in about a week. I did the doorknob squats twice a day, and I also sometimes started the day by pulling my legs up to my chest while lying on my back in bed -- a lying down squat, which also untucks your tail. That's all I've done, and I've seen major improvement.

LBL999 likes this.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the links- Im on it and so relieved to hear that action is worthwhile....

#4 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Did you know that it's world continence week? Timely post!

Not sure if you'll have seen it on you search but this site has links to the continence foundations in many countries. http://www.worldcontinenceweek-usa.org/directory.html

I also know several women who have have urinary incontinence. Most found pelvic floor exercises helped, but one woman did have a op which did the trick. I think she may have had a prolapse, however. Presumably the cause of the incontinence is worth investigating?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page