3 year old run-down, sad a lot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 year old son has been ill recently, and frequently it seems.  I had his hemoglobin checked in March, it was fine.  He just seems run down, sad and frustrated.  It makes me really sad to see him so down.  I just have a feeling it is related to his health.  He just seems sort of depleted nutritionally.  He eats a wide variety, but can often be "too busy" to really sit down and eat a whole meal.  Any ideas on how I can replenish his system and boost his immunity?  I just think if he was really fed well he would also feel better mentally.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#2 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Have you tried removing common allergen/irritants from his diet? Gluten, soy, dairy, corn? When my LO's digestive system is overwhelmed he gets REALLY down and sad, doesn't play the same way, looks tired/out of it.... it's so hard to watch. When he gets like this, we do green smoothies for a little while. Just fruits, greens, & water (honey if he needs a little sweetener). Keeps him full, cleans out the toxins, and gives him his little smile back! Wide variety of greens is very good for boosting immunity. We also are full time gluten, dairy, and soy free now because of his intolerances, he just seems to do so much better without that stuff. I also love the green smoothies BECAUSE toddlers are too busy to bother with their meals... he thinks smoothies are fun, so he helps me blend them, and then hops away drinking them. 

ASusan likes this.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#3 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions.  I did have the idea to do some green smoothies.  I will get on that.  Also your suggestion for allergens... it makes so much sense.  I think I will try.   For some reason my gut is telling me that could be it for him.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#4 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second thinking about food intolerances. My DS is gluten free and used to be dairy and soy free in addition to a bunch of other foods.

Do you give him any high quality food based vitamin/mineral supplement? I agree foods are the best way to get nutrients in him, but I think the right multi may help as well

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM

How is he sleeping?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

@ the vitamins.  I think I will check for something for kids that seems more high quality.  Any suggestions?  The ones he is getting are pretty run-of-the-mill.

@ sleeping.  I had that thought as well.  He is napping less.  He sleeps okay, but always resists falling to sleep, plus he shares his room with his brother who is an early riser, and who has special needs so is not always aware of his volume in the morning.

#7 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 PM

I would see a MD first and ask for CBC with Diff as well as Vit B test.

Does he bruise easily?

#8 of 10 Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that missing sleep regularly, even if it's just a little bit a day, could really wear down a kid's vitality and immune function, over time. So making sleep a top priority would be my first thing, if a kiddo wasn't looking well. (Keeping in mind, too, that three years old is a difficult age, with sleep, and with emotional issues, too-- my three year olds were always hair-triggered emotionally, inclined to be explosive, and very easily frustrated. They seem to have grown out of it without anything other than some extra patience, lots of sleep, and plenty of exercise in the fresh air.) But if your instincts are telling you something is not right, I would definitely be consulting with a qualified health care practitioner, for sure.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 10 Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the further suggestions.  We have not had a CBC for him, or a vit B test.  I will ask about that.

And I agree with making sleep a priority.  We do have an extra bedroom.  Maybe we will try it out for him, and see if he sleeps better without brother around.

#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chromosomes View Post

@ the vitamins.  I think I will check for something for kids that seems more high quality.  Any suggestions?  The ones he is getting are pretty run-of-the-mill.

@ sleeping.  I had that thought as well.  He is napping less.  He sleeps okay, but always resists falling to sleep, plus he shares his room with his brother who is an early riser, and who has special needs so is not always aware of his volume in the morning.

Megafoods is a great brand. http://www.whole-food-vitamins.net/organic.php?product=MegaFood%20Kids%20N%20Us%20Food%20Based%20Minis%20270%20Tablets  this may not be ok for a 3 yr old though since it is not chewable or capsules you can mix with juice. it is a minitablet so it may be ok depending on your child.

Dr. Mercola has a whole foods http://shop.mercola.com/Supplements-2_Children's_Chewable_Multivitamin,_2_Whole_Food_Multivitamin_PLUS__4-Pack-P1552.aspx  kids chewable but I dont know too much about it (havent used it)

and New Chapter is also a great brand http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Vitamin-Code-Kids-Chewable-Whole-Food-Multivitamin-for-Kids-Cherry-Berry-60-Chewable-Bears/24315?at=0&x=1

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page