Gallbladder problems during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone had gallbladder or gallstones during pregnancy?   I'm showing some serious signs of gallbladder problems and I'm 8 wks prego.  I'm going to the Dr. in a couple of weeks but I was wondering if any of you can share some of your experiences and treatments with gallbladder issues during pregnancy.  I would really appreciate it.  Thank you so much. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had gallbladder attacks every other day when pregnant with my dd. Are you pregnant with a girl? Most women that have attacks when pregnant also are carrying a girl. I realized that it wasn't all fat that was a problem, but just dairy and eggs and also I had to get my digestive enzymes and probiotics up and something like kombucha would help perhaps.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 PM

I had gallbladder pain with both my pregnancies (a girl and a boy ; )).

I had a fasting ultrasound of my gallbladder maybe 4 months into my first pregnancy.  It showed no stones or other indications of gallbladder disease.

I was not able to keep the pain completely under control through diet, but I made some major improvements that way.

I restricted meat and animal fats (eggs, dairy, etc.) with my first pregnancy, and that helped some at first.  As my pregnancy progressed it returned.  A friend's sister, who is in some kind of natural healing field, suggested I try the Blood Type diet.  I am type A, so the diet is largely vegetarian, limited eggs, goat/sheep dairy, etc.  Lots of whole grains and vegetables.  I had to modify the amounts/frequency recommended of eating certain foods to get enough protein, but the pain completely went away for several months.  By the end of my pregnancy it was back, but never got too severe, and if I went off the diet it would get much worse.

Lying on my back often helped.  Drinking plenty of water and resting also seemed to help keep it at bay.

Both times the pain disappeared as soon as the baby was born and I was able to resume a normal diet (that is, until the baby got colicky!).  I still have my gallbladder (never opted for surgery as it does not bother me when I'm not pregnant).  We have decided not to have any more children.  I intend to do some gallbladder cleansing diets and herbs when ds is done breastfeeding.

Best of luck.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

I had gallbladder attacks every other day when pregnant with my dd. Are you pregnant with a girl? Most women that have attacks when pregnant also are carrying a girl. I realized that it wasn't all fat that was a problem, but just dairy and eggs and also I had to get my digestive enzymes and probiotics up and something like kombucha would help perhaps.

I'm only about 9 or 10wks now so I don't know if its a girl or boy.  When it was at its worst, my stomach would hurt so bad when I ate anything and especially if I drank something cold.  Quickly following would be very bad cramping pains across my upper abdominal area. Also, I would get this swollen feeling and/or pain under my right rib area - sometimes wrapping around to the back causing back pain.  Does that sound like anything you've experienced?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input.  It is much appreciated.

Sunnygir1,  I heard of the eat right for your blood type diet.  And well, I could never stick to it or any diet for that matter and that's probably what got me into this mess.  However, with the pain and discomfort I've been feeling, I am willing to try anything.  

I mentioned some symptoms of mine in my previous post.  Would you mind taking a look at them and telling me if you had any symptoms like that?  I'm asking anyone and everyone who has had gallbladder problems because 3 doctors I've seen are having a difference of opinion.  The ER dr. said it sounds like acid reflux disease.  My OB/GYN Dr. said it sounds exactly like gallbladder and my family Dr. is leaning towards acid reflux disease as well but has ordered a fasting ultrasound to check the upper abdominal area.  I feel so lost and to have these Doctors not even be sure is soooo frustrating and scary.  

The pain has subsided but not gone.  I've been living off of rice products and soup for 5 days.  Yesterday I finally ate some regular food (little bits at a time and low in fat).  Today I feel nauseous but I am still in the 1st trimester of pregnancy so that could be it.  I notice my pains get worse with too much physical activity.  Is it that way for any of you?  

Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKye View Post

Thank you all for your input.  It is much appreciated.

Sunnygir1,  I heard of the eat right for your blood type diet.  And well, I could never stick to it or any diet for that matter and that's probably what got me into this mess.  However, with the pain and discomfort I've been feeling, I am willing to try anything.  

I mentioned some symptoms of mine in my previous post.  Would you mind taking a look at them and telling me if you had any symptoms like that?  I'm asking anyone and everyone who has had gallbladder problems because 3 doctors I've seen are having a difference of opinion.  The ER dr. said it sounds like acid reflux disease.  My OB/GYN Dr. said it sounds exactly like gallbladder and my family Dr. is leaning towards acid reflux disease as well but has ordered a fasting ultrasound to check the upper abdominal area.  I feel so lost and to have these Doctors not even be sure is soooo frustrating and scary.  

The pain has subsided but not gone.  I've been living off of rice products and soup for 5 days.  Yesterday I finally ate some regular food (little bits at a time and low in fat).  Today I feel nauseous but I am still in the 1st trimester of pregnancy so that could be it.  I notice my pains get worse with too much physical activity.  Is it that way for any of you?  

I didn't have stomach pain, and I don't remember it being worse when I drank something cold.

The upper right side pain, under the ribs and wrapping around to the back is exactly what I had, often after eating, but not necessarily.  For weeks I would just get it in the evening, around dinner time and have it until I went to bed -- it was usually better in the mornings.

I don't remember exertion making it worse, but I do remember that I needed lots of extra rest or it would get worse.

Did any of the doctors palpate (feel and push on) your abdomen?  When my doctor palpated my gallbladder area, it hurt.  As I said before, they didn't find anything on the fasting ultrasound, but my doctor and I are certain it was gallbladder.

I hear you about the diet thing.  I don't stick to dietary changes very well, usually, but pain is a good motivator.  Just try it out for a few weeks, if you slip, don't worry about it, but just do your best and it might make a huge difference in your pain level.  If it works for you like it did for me, even if it doesn't make the pain completely go away, you will notice that it gets worse if you eat the wrong things.  It's probably only for the duration of your pregnancy, you can do it!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM

I had this problem with my last prgnancy. It did seem like activity made it worse. My midwife gave me supplements to get it under control. They are all standard process brand. Cholacol is a bovine bile supplement. It will break down the fat as you eat it.  You take one or two tablets a few minutes before you eat.  That makes everything so much better.  But what was amazing really was AF Beafood (beet juice extract)- I took 5 in the morning and 5 at night for a week as suggested by my chiro- it took all the pain away within a week and I never did take the the Cholacol again.  However- the AFBetafood has synthetic Vit A- so not recommended until very late in pregnancy (I took it at 36 weeks) What it does is it thins your bile down so it can get around the stones.  The cholacol will make a huge difference.  Some pharmacies will order it in for you and a bottle is only like $15 or so.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sunnygir1.  My physical therapist did palpate my upper right abdomen but for different reasons.  A week later is when the more severe symptoms started.  I wondered if there was a connection to that.  I did have my ultrasound today and I'll get my results in about a week.  I hope i get some answers.  I really hate that they cant tell me what they see in my own body while performing the ultrasound.  Now i have to wait a week to get results.

iowaorganic, thank you for the beet supplement suggestion.  I read about a beet and lemon recipe on a website dedicated to gallbladder issues.  Its suppose to help a lot.  That and flaxseed oil, I think. I wonder if I can stomach it though because it uses raw shredded beets with lemon.  Things have been hurting my stomach very easily lately but not in a heartburn kind of way.  At least I think its my stomach that hurts.  That particular pain is right under my sternum.  I assumed it was my stomach.  Anyway,  thank you for your suggestions.  I really appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM

I would suggest juicing them.  And drinking with a straw.  Beets stain everything.  I would imagine especially teeth ( and I am vain like that). 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Rid your diet of trans fats, trim fats from meat and don't eat a lot of cheese. This is what worked for me! Gall bladder stopped hurting and it's now been 6 years!! 

User Tag List