Chickenpox Exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO's played with a friend for 5 hours on Friday :)  On Sunday afternoon I called to find out that our little friend has the chickenpox.  To my knowledge, they didn't use each other's spoons, etc. but they did play hard and close-up as kids do. 

I am thinking that there is a high likelyhood that both of my LO's were both exposed according to what I've read (that kids are contagious a day before the spots).   This was one of my hopes this summer, even though I'll be bummed for DD is she has to miss her one-week drama camp (17 days past exposure).

Does it seem likely that they were exposed?

Also, has anyone had the predicament of wanting their kids to get the natural immunity but not subject their spouse to it?  (I had it as a child but DS didn't and his "shot" is questionable)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#2 of 10 Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM

From everything I have read- Your friend's child would have been the most contagious the day before the spots, but also contagious 2 days before.  So either way your kiddos were exposed and if the friend had spots on Saturday your kids got the best exposure day.

Any symptoms yet?  Can develop 7-21 days from exposure but usually 10 days or so.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#3 of 10 Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. :)

No symptoms yet.  DS had some spots that looked suspect, but the next day they were gone. 

Later that week (three days after the Sunday breakout w/cpx), we were at a party and the little girl was at the party (!).  It was hard to tell whether she had scabs on her face still, or just scars, but being only three days after the breakout, we encouraged DD and DS to play with her.  DD was squirmish about this, but DS went over and kissed her right on the mouth. :) 

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#4 of 10 Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post

Thanks for replying. :)

No symptoms yet.  DS had some spots that looked suspect, but the next day they were gone. 

Later that week (three days after the Sunday breakout w/cpx), we were at a party and the little girl was at the party (!).  It was hard to tell whether she had scabs on her face still, or just scars, but being only three days after the breakout, we encouraged DD and DS to play with her.  DD was squirmish about this, but DS went over and kissed her right on the mouth. :) 

Why in the world did you have your potentially contagious children out at a party?????

#5 of 10 Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess I, too, am astonished that people would bring kids that have been exposed to chicken pox to a party.  OP, you are worried about your husband getting it... what about other people who don't want it?  It is rare that we actually know the immunity status of all of our acquaintances.  That's a very serious thing to do to someone.

By the way, your husband could have his titers checked.  That is what a friend of mine did about 2 years ago when my DD came down with CP and we had inadvertently exposed him.  He is in his 60's and really wasn't sure if he'd had it as a kid and was quite nervous about what CP might do ti him.  He came up immune, which gave him some emotional comfort. 

#6 of 10 Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I second having your DH have a CP titer since it is a simple blood test.

And PPs, doesn't sound like the OP was bringing her kids to the party this week but just a few days after exposure which is definitely NOT when they would be contagious.  Children are contagious 1-2 days before developing spots until the blisters break and scab over.  Having been exposed 3 days earlier would not have made her children potential hazards for other party goers.  OP's friend on the other hand hopefully wasn't bringing her child to a party until the pox scabbed over without letting others know...eek.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#7 of 10 Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's right, my kids were exposed Friday, she broke our early Sunday and went to the party Wednesday.  I, too, was very surprised that her mum brought her to the party.  She said  that she asked the hostess and the hostess gave her thumbs-up. 

We don't live in the States and I think there might be a little cultural difference in play here, too. 

Thanks for the info, I'll get DH to get the cpx titer done asap.  The kids are likely to break out with it within the next ten days so it seems like a great idea.

#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Here in  the UK kids get chicken pox and it is just one of those things. Here, it is ok to go out once the scabs have dried and it is not unusual to see scabby kids out and about.

#9 of 10 Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, just an update--we're almost three weeks past exposure and still no spots.  I just can't imagine how they didn't get it!  Has anyone had their kids get cpx after 21 days from exposure?

#10 of 10 Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM

All mine, that have had it, broke out between 14 and 21 days.  Never longer.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page