Really messed up sleep schedule? Anyone? Plus idea for a "buddy" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I may have a hormonal problem, and I'm in the midst of figuring that out. So that could be a cause. I actually have a lot of health issues, that have fluctuated over the years. I currently am married, but don't have kids, and I stay at home.

My main problem right now, is that I can't seem to get on the same time schedule as the rest of the world. And it hasn't just been as simple as having discipline. I just seem to be wired differently. I sometimes don't go to bed until like 5 AM or later. Horrible, I know! Right now we don't have kids. I have had chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.....so I've been disabled, but am doing a little better with the fatigue aspect of it, and am now just dealing with a messed up clock, that is basically what disables me, because I can't get up in the morning reliably, to meet people for lunch, etc. Also, I have drowsiness during the day to the point that I'm not comfortable driving, and yes, I've looked into sleep apnea, narcolepsy, etc.  Back to the sleep schedule.....When we have guests, I can sometimes suck it up and I will be on a normal schedule for a short period, but that's because someone is here to wake me up, and normally "normal" when guests are here is getting up at like 9 AM, which is doable, and then I'll go to bed around midnight or 1 AM.

Hubby gets up at 6 AM every morning on weekdays, and that is pretty much impossible for me, because even if I get up at 6 AM, I won't naturally want to fall asleep until between midnight and 1 AM. I've tried switching, it's just hard without something like Lunesta, given in a strong enough dose to literally KNOCK me out. Which I don't want to do to myself day-in, day out. So eventually I become SOOO exhausted, since I tend to need 8-9 hours, and that schedule would only give me 5 hours. But I really don't think I can fall asleep until around midnight.

Anyways, the perfect schedule for me would be waking up at like 8 AM or 9 AM. That would ensure I'd get like 8-9 hours. But my problem is that there is no one to wake me up.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that stuggles with their schedule? I think what I really need, is someone to hold me accountable, that isn't my hubby or a family member calling me (because I find ways to get around that.....I say "hi, hello, yeah, I"m up" in a daze, then go back to sleep).

My main problem is just getting up at a reasonable hour, and I feel that that is kind of the key to going to bed on time that night.

I was thinking if there is anyone out there who had this problem too, we could be "accountability buddies," and maybe arrange to be on here together at a certain time each day, to ensure we are getting up at a reasonable hour. Like say, "you better post on this thread at 9 AM!!!!!" I dunno. Someone who will be waiting for me, that I felt like I couldn't let down. (i realize a job is the solution to that, but my health isn't there yet).

But it seems like if most of the people here have children, they will be up already, and would not need me to be holding THEM accountable too. Sigh. So in that case, it would be more like a favor thing,them just helping me out by being on here or calling/emailing, and I'm not sure that would motivate me as much as if I knew I had to be up for someone else too. Does that make sense? So I'm wondering if anyone is in this same boat with me, and wants to try to hold each other accountable for getting up on time?

I also had this idea, that this "accountability buddy" thing could be expanded on this site, to the point that people are helping each other.....exercise daily or weekly, or say no to sweets, or remove clutter, or do anything else positive that some of us might really be struggling with, to the point that we need one person to kinda whip us into shape, that isn't a family member. I feel like the threads about it might be too vague, for some of us who are really struggling. Like I could always say "whops" and neglect a frugality thread....no one would miss me, right?

Just some thoughts, from my very scattered brain. Anyone who has tips or encouragement, would be great.

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone with ideas on how to deal with a messed up sleep/wake cycle?

Anyone been through this?

I haven't been getting any replies to my posts lately, I'm not sure if it's because I write too much, or if my problems are too complicated? Or is it because I'm not a mother, so no one can relate to my world right now? I can't figure it out. I am starting to think maybe this site isn't the right place for me? (not asking to be difficult, just wanting some honesty).

#3 of 4 Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM

sounds like a sleeping disorder, or even anxiety something is preventing you from getting a good sleep at the right time.

i'm a narcolept.

8 might be enough
#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Have you had your adrenals checked? Many of your symptoms sound like adrenal exhaustion. Before I figured out that my adrenals were tanked I had horrible sleep problems due to my poor adrenals pumping out cortisol at odd times.

May be worth a look.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page