Quick insight needed: Would you keep this appointment or look for another doctor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wrote here about the crazy abnormal bleeding I have been having for the past year.  The midwife ran out of treatment ideas and recommended I see a gyn.  So I chose someone in a private practice and went in for my first visit (Please keep in mind that I live in a desolate area so I have to drive 75 miles, one way, to a ob/gyn.)  20 minutes before my appointment I got a call from the office and was told that the doctor is running 2 hours behind but I need to come in on time or rescedule.  I was frustrated but since I had already spent the time/money driving there  I went in and waited, waited, waited for over 2 ½ hours before seeing the doctor who basically told me a polite way that my abnormal bleeding was due to me being fat and old but that I could go on the pill.  I left the office livid. 

A  week later I got a call from the office nurse telling me that the doctor wanted me to take the clomid challenge but because my bleeding was so irregular I would have to take something to cause an excessive bleed so basically we would know when the first day of my cycle was and then on day 5 I could start the clomid.  I was overly emotional about the idea of more excessive bleeding as I was already highly anemic and had just finished bleeding heavily for almost 10 straight weeks.  After arguing with the nurse, asking for more information and clarification, she finally asked the doctor to call me back which the doctor did, a few days later, at 9pm at night.

The doctor and I had a good conversation that night and she actually took the time to discuss all of my options.  She asked me to come in for an ultra sound to confirm that I did not have any polyps and said that if polyps were found, a D&C would be the next treatment option.  So again I drove the 75 miles for the appointment which went fine only to find out that the tech was not able to say anything to be about the ultrasound and that office policy was that I come back in to discuss results with the doctor.  I asked that the doctor call me and receptionist said she would pass on the message but a week went by with no call so I called today only to be told that I needed to come in and that the next treatment option I had was the clomid challenge. 

I have an appointment set for Thursday but I am strongly considering canceling.  I am really frustrated by the lack of communication, little respect for the time and money, unwillingness to discuss things by phone, ect.  I also acknowledged that I am under a great deal of stress-I start my PhD comprehensive exams next Monday, then comes the busiest time for me at work-the return of students to campus, and then I am slated to start my dissertation so my general tolerance is very low.  So am I expecting too much from this office?  The thought of looking for yet another ob/gyn puts me in tears but so does the one I am currently seeing so I feel damned either way. 

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Well, the only thing is if they know the distance you have to travel, they should work on that with you a little bit (so you don't have to go in as much).  I can definitely see why you are frustrated..that must be so hard.

However, on that same note, it's not their fault you live 75 miles away.  I would bet the vast, vast majority of their clientele live much closer, so coming in to speak to the doctor isn't as much of a deal as it would be for you.  I was actually pretty impressed that they called to tell you the Dr. was 2 hours late and gave you the option to reschedule.

Anyway, I'm not really sure. I might look for another doctor, but I would really ask around in your area and ask for the experience's of others  I would be careful about switching without really good recommendations..   Your experience doesn't seem that unusual to me, it's just that the added distance makes those practices and rules so much more of a burden than it would be for someone who lives 10 minutes away

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Also wanted to add, that my above response was only based on the lack of respect for your time and lack of communication.  They sound bad in that regard, but unfortunately not that unusual.

If you are also upset about the treatment (the clomid) or the unhelpful advice the dr. gave you at your first visit, then I would absolutely switch.  Absolutely.    If possible find someone who would consider your diet, hormones levels, etc., etc. when considering a treatment.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page