Help with symptoms and what might help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so hoping that anyone might be able to offer insight here. Not about my child, but a dear friend.
He is without insurance, as a lot of people are, and unable to afford to go to any more doctors. They had not helped him any before...

He has neuropathy in his feet and has now spread up to his knees. He is not diabetic, his liver and kidneys work fine (according to bloodwork that was done) He is not on any other type meds except for pain meds as needed. (They don't do much good except to take the edge off)

He took all sorts of meds prescribed by doctors and none of it helped. Now, he isn't on much of anything.

Is there anyone who can offer some ideas of herbs, or vitamins or anything that might help? I know it's a long shot, but the only other option for him is to sit and let it continue to get worse.

Thanks for ANY help!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#2 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Does he have any backpain? That's the first thing I would look for after diabetes has been ruled out. An x ray or possible MRI  of the back (or more specifically, the spinal cord) would probably be a good start. A lot of times as we age we can develop conditions that can compress the nerves in our spinal cord which can then cause neuropathy, numbness etc. in different limbs. Scoliosis, cuadrina equina (SP?), spinal stenosis are just a few of the conditions I know of offhand. If he happens to have a problem where something is compressing his spine, correcting this condition could stop the neuropathy from spreading further and might even be able to reverse it.  As far as herbs etc. to help with the current pain he is experiencing now, I'm sorry but I don't know of anything. I know of a few people who have had luck with lyrica though, its not a herb, but a prescription med. So sorry I can't be more help and I hope that he's able to find help and get relief soon. I know its so hard when you don't have insurance.

Stephanienut.gif, RT, Mama to Jenergy.gif (4/06), Nfencing.gif (9/10), and someone new stork-girl.gif (2/14), partner to Vdrum.gif and Learning to take it one day at a timepraying.gif 
#3 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 PM

That can sometimes happen w/ some types of heavy metal toxicity. Maybe try a google search for that and see if it fits. Good luck to your friend. I know how challenging it can be to figure this stuff out on your own. 

#4 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He needs a doctor. It could be anything from MS to atypical migrane.

#5 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, guys! You rock!

He's been to doctors. His wife, while she was alive, made him go. They never figured it out. Put him on all sorts of meds, from pain killers to muscle relaxers to antidepressants. Nothing worked. He's had this for 15 years now, increasingly getting worse.

Metal toxicity might have something to that. How do you find out? Hair testing? Or what's the best way?

I don't know if they did any MRI's or anything. I'll have to check. I know they did all sorts of bloodwork, and it was all normal. (Liver, kidney, etc...)

Thank you guys again. Please keep any suggestions or ideas coming. Please!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.

#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If he had metal toxisity, there would be changes in liver/kidney.

#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Is there anyone who can offer some ideas of herbs, or vitamins or anything that might help? I know it's a long shot, but the only other option for him is to sit and let it continue to get worse.

Thanks for ANY help!

He may want to look into LDN (low dose naltrexone)

#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've not heard of that. Off to look! Thanks!

#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM

I agree with the LDN.  For the right people, and I include myself in this category, it is a LIFESAVER.  I wish more people could have access to doctors who prescribe and are knowledgeable about it.

I also recommend the GAPS diet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page