Vitamin C during pregnancy to help in-utero baby's lung function after birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently just over 26 weeks pregnant, due October 28th with a boy. In previous pregnancies "stuff' has started happening early. With our older son's pregnancy, the most recent preterm labor, (he's 4 now) they were able to stop the contractions with bed rest and Procardia. With our youngest daughter I had no issues with preterm labor at all, she's 2.

I don't know if this is based on my history of one preterm birth and two "stops" but I have a feeling this baby is going try to come early.

Shortly after our son was born I went to see a Pulomonogist due to pain in my chest, come to find out it was physical symptoms of Anxiety, but at the time we were ruling things out we discussed Vitamin C to help my lung function. I have slightly decreased lung capacity possibly do to growing up with smoking parents, allergies, or damage done by developing Pulmonary emobli during pregnancy. She told me there was no harm in trying and that if I over dosed I would just have diarrhea. 

Thinking about this now I'm wondering if I started vitamin c now if it could/would help Baby Valentine's lung function in the long run, especially if he was born early. I have no idea where to begin to look or what dosage to start at for that matter. I also have to take into consideration that I am breastfeeding a two year old and how supplementing with vitamin c could/would impact her. 

I know there is nothing saying he WILL be born early but if this is something I can do, now, with little or no risk but a potentially great benefit I'd like to give it a shot. I know there was some concern with my daughter's OB about nursing through pregnancy but that pregnancy we actually didn't have any preterm labor issues or even troublesome contractions...interesting, eh?

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Subbing

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

What does that mean? "Subbing"?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Subbing means Subscribing to the thread so that if anyone responds she will see the results on her profile page, typically because they are interested in responses to the OP. A lot of people also post that they are subbing in order to bump your thread back up to the top of New Posts, so that there is more of a likelyhood that someone will respond.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmmm... I don't know about this. I am personally taking a lot of vitamin C in hopes that it will help me avoid PROM, which I had with both of my previous pregnancies. Studies have shown it to be effective:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15817864?dopt=Abstract

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information about "subbing"! I did not know that. 

The more I read the less I think I want to take it during pregnancy. My prenatal vitamin ha 142% of the RDA for Pregnant and Lactating women. Based on what I've read if I wanted to supplement it wouldn't be wise to drastically increase that while pregnant because there IS risk of preterm labor, even hemorrhaging, and that the best way to supplement would be through food and drink while pregnant. I'm also on blood thinner and that comes into play with whatever supplements, medications, homeopathic remedies that I do take. I definitely don't want to chance a drastic increase in something that could help or hinder my blood thinning medication and definitely NOT going into the third trimester or through labor and birth.

User Tag List