Thrush in 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never heard of or seen thrush past infancy (like the first weeks bfing from my experience) but I think that's what I'm dealing with in my 3 year old DS1.

back story - I just had a baby on July 9th(ds2) a beautiful short hb! On the 12th we ended up in the NICU for 4 days because the little one developed a really high fever. Super scary!! They were not able to find the source of infection but to be sure it wasn't bacterial they pumped antibiotics  into him for 3 days :( until his fever broke. (It was over 102F). I am dealing with yeast in ds2, which was to be expected after all the antibiotics.  He's on probiotics and I have a Rx for oral anti fungal meds, but I'm holding off on that because the probiotics are really helping.

BUT - I just noticed some white patches on DS1s lips (on the inside). He randomly came down with a fever yesterday. I checked his throat this morning just to see if it was irritated and saw white spots on the roof of his mouth, way in the back and white patches in the insides of his cheeks. DS1 eats kefir and Nancy's yogurt daily. He's never been on antibiotics. Anyone have any idea as to how he could have developed thrush?? I did see him sucking on one of DS2's paci's, could that be the culprit?

I'm wondering if I should just pick up the anti fungal meds and be done with this. But because I don't understand of the anti fungal med works in the body, I'm hesitant to use it.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#2 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

no one?

#3 of 5 Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 AM

My two year old had thrush after a round of antibiotics (despite being given probiotics during and after!), and Olive Leaf Extract was the only thing that got rid of it. We tried Grapefruit Seed Extract, Oregano Oil, all combined with huge doses of probiotics, and saw no difference. Then we tried the Olive Leaf Extract (we used the liquid kind from Barleans) and saw a difference after the first dose. To get it under control, we did the same frequency they recommend for prescription antifungals -- three times a day. We also added calendula tincture at some point, and I thought that helped too. It took a loooong time, like a month, to get rid of it entirely, but OLE is so much better for the body than those prescription antifungals that I felt like it was worth it. OLE preserves the beneficial bacteria, whereas most other antifungals, even natural ones, destroy everything.

My lo was also struggling with recurrent ear infections at the time, and the OLE kicked those out of town too. I was impressed.

As to root causes for a kid being susceptible to thrush even when they are regularly exposed to probiotics, we recently discovered mold in our house, which apparently can explain that susceptibility, as well as the problems we've had with ear infections and breathing issues. Any chance you have mold? Any leaks?

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 AM

My FIL had thrush about 6 years ago.  Its rare, but it happens. 

#5 of 5 Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

My two year old had thrush after a round of antibiotics (despite being given probiotics during and after!), and Olive Leaf Extract was the only thing that got rid of it. We tried Grapefruit Seed Extract, Oregano Oil, all combined with huge doses of probiotics, and saw no difference. Then we tried the Olive Leaf Extract (we used the liquid kind from Barleans) and saw a difference after the first dose. To get it under control, we did the same frequency they recommend for prescription antifungals -- three times a day. We also added calendula tincture at some point, and I thought that helped too. It took a loooong time, like a month, to get rid of it entirely, but OLE is so much better for the body than those prescription antifungals that I felt like it was worth it. OLE preserves the beneficial bacteria, whereas most other antifungals, even natural ones, destroy everything.

My lo was also struggling with recurrent ear infections at the time, and the OLE kicked those out of town too. I was impressed.

As to root causes for a kid being susceptible to thrush even when they are regularly exposed to probiotics, we recently discovered mold in our house, which apparently can explain that susceptibility, as well as the problems we've had with ear infections and breathing issues. Any chance you have mold? Any leaks?

Thanks for the OLE tip. I did several searches and that never came up as a natural treatment for thrush. I don't believe there is any mold in our home, but can one know for sure? We don't have any signs of mold in the house. No leaks or water standing. Our house is newer but that doesn't mean mold isn't here...

I'm almost certain DS1 got it from DS2. Thrush can be spread from person to person (who knew?).

I kept up the pro biotic powder and had him eating Nancy's yogurt through out the day. It took a week to kick it. I didn't use the anti-fungal treatment, at the time I wanted a quick fix but thankfully I came to my senses. There is no point treating the symptoms.

Based on what you wrote I think I might give him some OLE now, it certainly can't hurt and I'm sure there is some yeast lurking where it should not be... candida is such a nasty thing to contain!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page