Mothering Forum banner

Sodium Ascorbate vs. other forms of Vitamin C

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jaimee 
#1 ·
I learned about sodium ascorbate a while back and have been taking it whenever illness enters the house and especially during the winter months. But then I learned about other mineral ascorbates like calcium ascorbate and I am wondering if there is a reason to take SA over CA? I know that both the ascorbate and the mineral are well absorbed so it makes more sense to me to be getting extra calcium instead of extra sodium. Thoughts?

Also, what about other forms of vitamin C like Ester-C, Vitamin C Crystals, etc. that may be in ascorbate form or ascorbic acid form? Is one type better than the other? Or is it simply a matter of the mineral ascorbates being less acidic and therefore supposedly gentler on the GI tract?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
I really believe in getting nutrition from whole foods so honestly I would recommend eating a kiwi, citrus fruit or some leafy greens instead. They have so many nutrients to help your body fight illness and just maintain and improve its overall health(including of course lots of vitamin C), and it is VERY well absorbed by your body.

#3 ·
Depends - some people don't need the extra calcium in CA while other people don't need the extra sodium in SA. This only matters if you are taking mega doses. The other thing is, my DH takes both - for him, the SA seems to absorb better (less is dumped into the GI tract) while the CA seems to dump more into his GI tract resulting in softer stools (that's why he takes the CA - as a form of nutritive laxative). He was taking mega doses to get that effect. With either one you will hit a bowel tolerance at some point.

Ester-C is a specifically branded form of calcium ascorbate.

All of the mineral ascorbates are less acidic, if acidity is a problem for you.

Ascorbic acid may be fine for many people, but probably not if you want to take mega doses.

HTH.

#4 ·
I do take mega doses during the winter and any other time I feel a cold coming on. We eat a diet rich in fruits and veggies, but I can't get that level of vitamin C from food. I was concerned that ascrobic acid would be too harsh in mega doses.

The reason I asked the question is b/c I can't find the mineral ascorbates locally and will have to order it online or go for a different brand/form.

#6 ·
The sodium in the SA is not a concern - even for people concerned about salt intake because it is needed to metabolize the ascorbate. Calcium ascorbate should never be used IMO. Here is how it was explained to me: In order to metabolize ascorbate, the Vitamin C needs a sodium ion. It splits into two compounds, one of which is used, the other excreted. The basic biochemical unit of the cell is the sodium ion. If you use calcium ascorbate, the calcium sheers away, and sodium is pulled from the nearest cell with it in it. Once the ascorbate is split, the first thing it does is to chelate out the calcium, which should not be there. Then what you have left, is what is available. That is why you rarely get the runs with calcium ascorbate, because you have to use far more of it to do what sodium ascorbate does. There are similar problems with ascorbic acid. AA requires sodium with which to split it into two compounds one of which is excreted, and one used. If you use anything other than sodium ascorbate for any length of time, the sodium balance in the cells gets severely disrupted, particularly in those who don't use much salt in their diet, and the immune system can crash. if you must use ascorbic acid, buffer it with sodium bicarbonate. If you have enough sodium in your diet, your other alternatives would be magnesium ascorbate.

We order SA online - no big deal

#7 ·
Very interesting Marnica! Thank you for posting! I have done numerous google searches and simply cannot find a meaningful discussion of mineral ascorbates, ascorbic acid, etc. how the body uses it exactly and which is better. I have, however, always seen SA recommended as an immune booster. It was actually my MIL that convinced us to switch to CA b/c of the "excess sodium" issue. And I feel I did notice a difference in the immune effects between the two, but I thought perhaps it was just the state of my body at the time. I think I will switch back to SA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.