3D mammogram - is it safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know a lot of women elect not to have mammograms.  I choose to have a mammogram but, I want it to be as safe as possible. 

3D breast imaging is now available in my area so, I'm considering having my next mammogram done there but, I'm not finding a lot of information on it. 

Does anyone know if it delivers more radiation?  Is it worth driving way out of my way for the 3D mammo?

I am currently having to have MRIs of my head and CT scans of my chest, abdomen and pelvis every 3 months due to melanoma so, I'm not loving the idea of more radiation.  But, I love the idea of cancer even less.

#2 of 3 Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, in case anyone is wondering....I talked with the center and they advised that it sort of is more radiation but, it depends upon the type of scanner.  They said that the majority of imaging centers use Fuji scanners which emit the most radiation - 2.8 - 3 on the scale that they use.  Some digital mammography machines do emit less but, they are not widely used (I think she said it's by motorola).  The machine they use for the 3D mammogram emits 2.2 - 2.6.  So, it's more radiation that a regular 2D mammogram with a motorola scanner but, it's less that what is emitted by a 2D scan using a Fuji which most all mammo centers use. 

#3 of 3 Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM

I am a mammographer and also teach other technologists how to perform 3D  breast Tomography.  The dose for a 3D mammogram is slightly more but still under the recommended dose for a conventional 2D mammogram.   I personally will drive the 3 hours to have a 3D mammogram because I believe that it does give more information that the conventional.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page