Have to get a mole removed on my leg, kinda freaked out. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to the doc today to have him check 2 moles among a few other things. When I showed him the dark brown mole on my leg he said right away, "we will remove that one for sure because it's irregularly shaped and an odd color". I got alot of sun when I was little but now hardly ever, I am as pale as they come. I'm only 29 but my grandpa and mom have both had basal cell carcinoma removed. I have had this mole for at least 10 years and from what I remember it has looked the same. Should I be worried? Anyone have a similar experience? They are going to use a punch to remove it and test it, yikes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Just wanted to say hugs! My hubby had melanoma stage III.. and while it's not fun at all, I'm sure you will be okay!!! Keep us updated.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 PM

I had a mole for as long as I could remember, but had it removed because it was kind of unsightly, getting a little bigger over time, imo. The tests on it came back normal and I was relieved. Fast forward 5 years and it seemed to be growing back. It was slight, but at the scar site there was a little brown spot that was popping back up. I had that biopsied and it came back basal cell carcinoma. No one could really say why, but I had MOHS surgery done (basically, it just cuts out more of it and really cleans the site) and I haven't had any problems since.  My scar healed really nicely, too. Good luck!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM

I had an oddly shapped, tri coloured mole removed on my back. It didn't look like it was growing a hair (apparently cancerous moles cannot grow hairs according to my DR) Turned out there was hair starting to grow afterall and it was negative. I'm really glad I had it removed actually to ease my mind.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post

I had an oddly shapped, tri coloured mole removed on my back. It didn't look like it was growing a hair (apparently cancerous moles cannot grow hairs according to my DR) Turned out there was hair starting to grow afterall and it was negative. I'm really glad I had it removed actually to ease my mind.

Yeah our Dr's said that most cancerous moles (I don't know if it's 100 percent, but it's a great indicator) don't grow hair..... I've examined my hubby quite a few times looking for hairless moles.. lol

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks so much for the replies and the thing about moles and hair growing from them. Mine is on my thigh so I had shaved my legs a few days ago, the hair is barely growing in but I can feel a tiny hair growing from the mole! I will take it as a good sign and it eases my mind a bit. Either way, worrying is useless and I am going to really try and think positive thoughts. It has been there for at least 10 years and looked the same for just as long, I get the punch biopsy on the 30th of this month, I will update how things go :)

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM

hi, i have a weird sunspot in my groin area of all places, i have freckles in the area but this one is brown with pink in the middle slightly bigger than a pencil head eraser(way bigger than other freckles I have in the area and on any part of my body) and broken around the edges. I am 28 almost 29 and while it seems like an unlikely spot for skin cancer and freckles for that matter I know for a fact I was naked as a baby in the pool since there are pics and so I know sun has seen where the sun don't shine so to speak. I put off getting it checked because I noticed when pregnant and I know it hadn't  always been so big and red in the middle, so now I am finally going to get it checked out. My appt is Sept 1st so we can just be biting our nails together! My maternal aunt had pre-melanoma diagnosed at the age of 21. So yeah it is scary but it is better to be safe than sorry and get it checked out!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Just as a side note, and because I do feel so strongly...

My husband had stage three melanoma, diagnosed when he was only 27.. thankfully he's fine now, everything is good.. but melanoma is notoriously a young cancer. on top of that, his cancer was on his calf.. like a super weird place.. and somewhere he hadn't had a sunburn before.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

mamaecho - I'm so glad to hear your husband is doing well!  I am undergoing treatment for stage 3 melanoma right now so hearing stories of people who had stage 3 and are doing well are so encouraging.

Athora - why are they waiting so long for the biopsy?  I've never had a doctor do that.  I've always gone to the dermatologist and if they found something concerning, they took it off right then and there.  Why the wait?  That seems cruel.  I just went to the derm a couple days ago and they did 3 biopsies on the spot.  That being said, if it's not new, growing, changing, crusting, bleeding etc.... it's probably fine.  Cancerous moles typically evolve and change.  If it's looked that way for your whole life, don't freak out.  It's good you're getting it checked but, it sounds positive.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I went to a new family doctor to get updated allergy tests and talk to him about my reflux as well as have a few moles checked. He's not a dermatologist and I have an HMO, maybe that's the problem?

The mole is an average size, quite small and I have many other moles that look like it, the only difference is this one is darker, a dark brown. To my eyes it looks all one color except where the hair comes out, but all my other moles are like that too. It is not perfectly round and I guess that's one reason he wants it off. I have had it at least 10 years if not 20 or longer, I remember my ex boyfriend pointed it out to me about 5 years ago, he had legitimate OCD though :P. It has looked the same all these years if my memory is correct. It doesn't hurt or itch, crust or bleed and it isn't getting any bigger. It doesn't make much sense that they are making me wait either, I worry a lot and I am really trying not to worry about this but I am :(. He made it sound like they are completely removing it with the punch biopsy, is that normal protocol? If they are so insistent on it then why wait so long?

@mamaecho: glad to hear your hubby is doing well :) @amcal: how old were you when you got diagnosed and what did your mole look like?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM

I had my first melanoma at 39.  It was a small pink spot.  It looked like nothing more than a tiny pale pink spot.  But, it didn't go away.  I'm very fair skinned and have been going to the dermatologist for years.  I've always been told that anything new, changing, growing, crusting/bleeding etc... should be checked.  The derm said it was totally fine but, I insisted and whamo - melanoma stage 1B.   I had my lymph nodes tested as well which they never do with a small melanoma and the lymph nodes came back negative. 

Then, in March of this year at 41, I had another melanoma - this time on my leg.  It was a mole that I had been talking to the derm about for 2 years.  After my first melanoma, I immediately went down to the U of A Cancer center - one of the best in the country for melanoma.  I pointed out the mole on my leg at every visit and was always told it was fine.  I was a raised mold but, there wasn't really anything about it that I can point to that made me concerned.  It wasn't just slightly raised, it was raised so that I could wiggle it.  It almost looked like a rounded pencil eraser but smaller.  The color was fine, it wasn't changing or growing but, I just didn't like it because it was different from all my other moles.  So, In March, I insisted they biopsy it.  It came back as melanoma stage 1b.  I again insisted my lymph nodes be tested which they didn't want to do because it was such a small melanoma but, I insisted.  And, two came back positive with microscopic disease. 

So, now I'm undergoing treatment for melanoma. 

Anyway, this is my way of telling everyone I guess to listen to your gut.  You know your skin better than anyone.  If you don't like something, get it biopsied.  But, also don't freak out.  Melanoma is very treatable.  Even late stage is showing promise with new drugs.  Just be vigilant, check your skin and get anything concerning biopsied.  If your doctor won't biopsy, find another dr. 

I spent a lot of time thinking that if the U of A Dr. had just done the biopsy the first time I pointed it out, I may not be in this position.  I've now found a very, very aggressive derm.  She's taking of anything and everything I point out.

Athora - the punch biopsy is great.  It will likely get it all.  But, they'll do the punch and then look at it under a microscope.  If it's nothing , you're good to go.  If it's something concerning, they'll probably go back and take more just to make sure they get it all but, cross that bridge if you come to it.  At this point, it really sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about.  But, personally, I'd be calling to try to get in sooner.  Not because I think it's something you should be concerned about but, because the worry and anticipation are awful.  Lots of hugs heading your way.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Amcal, I'm sorry you had melanoma, i know it sucks :( but good for you for being proactive.. THAT is how you beat cancer. Do you mind me asking what your treatment plan is?

Hubby went on a vaccine trial and so far, so good! This was in 2007.. and so far only the initial PET scan showed cancer. He had a mole on his calf, they removed a very large chunk. Checked the lymph nodes in his groin and less than half were cancerous.. his sentinal node wasn't positive either. We were at a hospital that suggested radiation then interferon treatment.. Jeremy felt uncomfortable with the doctor, and after looking into that treatment we decided it wasn't for us. He had already received radiation though at that point. That's when we found his doctor that he goes to now. They took out the lymph nodes, took whatever cancer they could, the put it with tuberculosis cells and then reinjected them into his system while also giving him immune boosters. He had to self administer shots for over a year.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM

For me, the only available treatment is interferon so, Im doing that. I know lots of people take a wait and see approach. But, other than the original 2 lymph nodes, all the others were negative and my MRI and CT scans were negative too. So, I'm choosing to believe that surgery got all the cancer and the interferon is just an insurance policy.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Good luck with your treatment!!! :) If you ever have any questions or anything, let me know.. you'll get through this!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Thank you! It's so wonderful to hear your husband is doing well. It gives me such hope!

Athora sorry for the hijack! please know you're in my thoughts and prayers. I really think you'll be fine. Your mole sounds stable. But, I'm glad you're getting checked out. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I want to let you gals know it was benign, completely normal. The stitches are out and the incision is healing well but I am sooo relieved, I have anxiety and it takes loads off me. Sorry to hear about your hubby mama and you too amcal. I'll be sending healing vibes and good thoughts to both of you! <3

Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 PM

YAYAYAY!!!! I'm so happy to read that!!! :) :) :)

Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Awesome!!!  I'm so glad you got it checked for your peace of mind and even happier that it's nothing!  Great news :D

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM

hey, i got my results back a few days ago. Mine is considered abnormal (dysplasia) so they are going to recheck it in 6 weeks and monitor it for the time being.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Big hugs for monitoring, waiting can be the worst part!

My hubby just had his PET scan monday, results are in! He is completely clean!!! :) YAY! so now we are at yearly PET's :)

Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM

Yay!!!  I'm so happy for you.  I love hearing about clean scans! 

I have my CT scan tomorrow.  I just know it's going to be clear.  

Ilovemybabybird - good news!  Keep an eye on it and if you're concerned at all, insist it be removed.  

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

@Ilovemybabybird- best of luck to you! Keep us posted <3

@mamaecho- YAY, so happy to hear that!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:08 PM

My mom's had half a dozen precancerous spots removed from her face -- she's incredibly fair skinned and grew up in the 30s-40s when sunscreen was unknown. They've always been caught early. She's 82 now and she has had one or two things removed every 5 years or so. The good news is, she's 82. So, I'm a firm believer in getting these things checked out ASAP.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Just wanted to ask and question are two.  I have and mole on my lift leg almost at the spot where it bends by the knee.  It has grown and the head of it is WHITE.  Real white.  This entire time I thought it was and wart and turned out to be and mole.  Does anyone know why it would be so white?????

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Rlbrown - get it checked. Anything new, different, changing needs to be checked. It's probably nothing but, its changing and needs to be biopsied.

User Tag List