Mild Rectal Prolapse - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yuck.  After doing some internet assisted self diagnosis - I am fairly certain that I have a mild case of rectal prolapse.  It's not bad, and does not interfere with my life.  Basically, my rectum bulges out after a BM if I strain (which I try to avoid of course). I thought it was just hemorrhoids, but not I am not so sure.  Like I said, no serious symptoms, it retracts on its own within a minute or so - I don't have do do anything manually. It doesn't hurt or itch, it's just gross, and a big pain to clean.  I had hemorrhoids at the end of my pregnancy and then this thing started after I gave birth. I labored for 36 hours, 2 hours of pushing on my back with an epidural (that I needed after 28 hours of double and triple peak contractions).

My concerns are basically:

1. How do I get it to go away? Is this possible? I am doing kegels and trying to eat a high fiber diet and I drink a lot of water.

2. If it is not possible to make this go away in a non-invasive way, has anyone ever had it treated? If so, how? What was your experience like?

3. For people who did not have it treated, did it get significantly worse over time? 

4, DH and I are currently TTC - I am very worried about this issue getting significantly worse with a second pregnancy and vaginal delivery.  Anyone go through this? What was your experience like? Did it interfere with the delivery at all?

Thanks in advance, I am hoping to hear from others so I can stop freaking out over this. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 4 Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Core work should help significantly. I had a good recovery from a mild bladder prolapse.

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 4 Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

So it's been 10 months, and it's definitely a rectal prolapse.  I need to manually um, put everything back where it's supposed to go after a BM now.  I'm 7m pregnant and really scared about a vaginal delivery. Anyone BTDT?

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#4 of 4 Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Check out the Pelvic Organ Prolapse support thread here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/713732/pelvic-organ-prolapse-support-thread/1440

It's really long, but there's lots of experienced mamas there who have had more children after prolapses. 

Also, have you tried squatting/putting your feet up on a stool when you have to go?  I avoid straining as much as possible because it aggravates my vulvar varicosities, and the stool really helps. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page