Any other natural remedies I can try for Staph skin infection before resorting to oral antibiotic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD 6mo has had rashes under her neck and in diaper area since about 2mo.  I originally thought it was yeast (I also have/had skin yeast), so was trying to treat for that.  The rash goes in cycles of getting better on it's own and then back to red and more rashy (whether or not I treat it).  The one under her neck has spread in recent weeks :(

I tried TTO in olive oil, didn't work.  Including using TTO in diaper wash.

Tried coconut oil although that is more antifungal

I EC so she does get as much air time as possible

I got Colloidal silver on Saturday and sprayed several times, but then read it only works while wet on skin.  I wasn't sure about using it orally on her.

I tried perscription Bactroban, didn't work.

Now I"m using Bactroban plus another topical antibotic they gave me.  Oral is next, I really don't want to do that because I'm still trying to figure out if she is reacting to food (I've been off dairy for a while), and hate to give her anything orally that has a lot of added junk in it.  She's never had anything except BMilk and a bit of probiotic powder for a short period of time.

I have MRSA myself and have been on antiboitic for that, but her labs only came up with normal staph.  I thought they were going to test for yeast but they didn't, but everything I tried for yeast didn't work anyways.

I haven't tried GSE yet.  I think when I tried that for my yeast I did 10-11 drops per one ounce of water.

I really don't want to do gentian violet, that's what I did for myself although I used it too long the first time and it killed the yeast but ravaged my skin and then I got the MRSA.

I can't tell you how sick I am of skin rashes :(

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

One thing that comes to mind is Usnea tincture.  It's a great, powerful natural antimicrobial; a fungal/algal symbiote that grows on trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usnea ).  If you live in a place where you can collect it, you could also make a strong decoction (simmering the usnea in water for at least 10 minutes) and apply that as a poultice.  This is something that you would want to use topically, and could even use in conjunction with the colloidal silver and/or tea tree oil. 

As long as her rash isn't too "hot" or weepy, you could also look for an ointment with goldenseal, yellow root, or oregon grape root (all of these plants contain berberine, a strong antimicrobial compound).  These plants would also be helpful in tincture form.  You just don't want to keep ointment on a hot, weepy rash or wound.  If it is hot and weepy, it would be better to apply poultices.

If you found the herbs in tincture form, you could combine aloe juice, water, tinctures, and a little tea tree oil and lavender oil (which is also antimicrobial) in a spray for topical applications.

GSE is a great antimicrobial (especially antibacterial) but is INTENSELY bitter.  I don't know if I would give it internally to such a young one, but a couple of drops could go into any topical spray you put together.

I'm just brainstorming really.  Please let me know and I can streamline any of these ideas.  Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal has some great ideas, recipes, and instructions.

And remember probiotics for internal use for you and baby.  So many skin problems (even these that are bacterial infections) may be helped by supporting your gut flora.

#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM

When my kids were babes I recall reading about grapefruit seed extract diluted in water and sprayed/swabbed on the affected areas.Look that up to see directions.

#4 of 5 Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Try a google search for manuka honey + staph. Lots of ppl swear by it.

#5 of 5 Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  GSE is my next course of action (topical only).  It's been 7 days since using the additional second topical antibiotic.  It may be a bit better but not really going away.

I'll have to check on the honey and Usnea too, not sure if that is available locally.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

User Tag List