Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

please delete

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  MoonWillow 
#1 ·
Please delete thread moderator!

#3 ·
Please listen to your GI get that girl on Miralax or Milk Of Mag. Long term plan to slowly wean off. MOM was the only thing we had when my son was diagnosed with Encropresis.

What you are doing is horribly painful to your child. Not everything can be cured with diet alone or "naturally". That actually damaged my son worse!

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/flax-seeds-and-flax-oil

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/soiling-pants-7-ways-minimize

Don't get me wrong you can do somethings "natural" to help your child out...but until you get her moving nothing will help her. You need to get her bowels shrunk.

#5 ·
we will not put her on miralax we went that route inly gave her the runs and made her terrible cranky,

@ Marsupialmom "What you are doing is horribly painful to your child"

" wow that was incredible harsh we are not trying to hurt our child, but thank you for your concern, our new pediatrician also feels pharms are not the way to go and have you read what is in miralax and have you ever gone on the miralax boards and read about all the damage that it has caused children? maybe you should before making such BOLD statements to a parent! My nephew went on some sort of pham med and is unable to have a bowel movement on his own from taking meds so long he is now 12... that is horrible

#7 ·
Then you are being negligent and cruel. You would not say this if your child had diabetes, cancer, or a broken leg. You would use pharma in those situation. Encropresis is a medical situation like diabetes, some ear infections, broken legs, and UTI. Sometimes you need pharma care and this time is one time for your child.

#8 ·
Have you ever thought there was a genetic component to this? Have you ever visited boards that deal with this?

My son is 16 and he sits on the toilet as a routine after diner. Why? Because when you eat your body is naturally moving. But this was after a long time of being on Milk of Mag. (before Mirilax). Yes, I was hesitant to do this because of the side effects. However, with working with the doctor we could watch for the risk.

Heck, using flax seed oil or castor (flax seed would be nutritionally better) getting your dd pop to a consistency of baby food and then SLOWLY (we are talking months) weaning of. ML by ML of oil. Stops and Stalls.

There is hirschsprung disease. If she or your nephew has a "mild" presentation is is far more manageable and easier on them to manage it with stool softeners, diet, and routine bm patterns than surgery. However, this will not help if you do not first to "shrink" the colon. This takes a long time. It also means cooperating with you GI.

#10 ·
The reason she doesn't complain is because she isn't feeling the pain anymore, the nerves don't even bother responding.

My son has the opposite problem, chronic diarrhea. It started when he was about 1 and was going strong until March when he was 4. We took him off dairy and it did wonders, but he still had some issues. We recently took him off gluten to see if that would help and it really did. For the first time in his life, he'll complain that his tummy hurts if he eats gluten. It took several months for these nerves to "wake up."

Why did you bother seeing the GI if you were just going to ignore their suggestions? This is a serious medical problem that you are ignoring, which is not okay.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoogs View Post

thank you all for the advice :) I was looking for something more on the holistic end. Thanks again all! oh btw yes our ped is a certified MD, also practices alternative medicine we have tried several different meds non of which helped we have had several different types of testing done for several different things (NOT THAT ANY OF YOU CARED TO INQUIRE ABOUT) you assumed we have done nothing , and we are also seeing a homeopathist, also we have seen several GI doctors( all with different opinions and protocol on what we should do, so yes we are very confused none agree with the other) and we have also visited a colonic therapist, so I can assure there is no neglet here or lack of concern! But thanks for the harsh words and encouragement, I came here hoping to find someone who has experienced with this that could add a little light on alternative medicine. and what worked for them.... NOT TO BE CRITICIZED AND PUT DOWN>>>>
It's clear that the NATURAL medicine is not working in this situation. Honestly. You need to find a solution for your child. And being blind and refusing to use "pharma" is only going to cause your child more pain. It sounds like you're going from dr. to dr. to find one who will agree with your natural approach and are ignoring the real and true medical advice here. The only one who is suffering from it, is your child.

Reactions: Honey693 and swede
#13 ·
that is complete bullshit you dont know me who the hell do you think you are making assumption, the reason why we are trying holistic is because the meds didnt work and made her sick... we went to several doctors and tried several approaches SCREW YOU! now yes moderater you may delete thread I came here for advice not a bashing WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! is wrong with you people!

#14 ·
Quote:

we are very holistic and do not take any kind of pharma...

yes you would think it would be painful but she never complains of any pain which i always found strange but today she said she had a bellyache so we really need to try something else.
Why did you take her to a medical doctor if you weren't open to meds? Why bother with a gi's expert opinion if you're really not going to trust it? I have dealt with kids with encopresis, and even when not screaming they are in pain. Sometiems it builds up and then is immediately painful. So sad :(

#15 ·
Quote:

that is complete bullshit you dont know me who the hell do you think you are making assumption, the reason why we are trying holistic is because the meds didnt work and made her sick... we went to several doctors and tried several approaches SCREW YOU! now yes moderater you may delete thread I came here for advice not a bashing WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! is wrong with you people!
you said right here - "we are very holistic and do not take any kind of pharma..." no assumptions neccessary.

Quote:

we are very holistic and do not take any kind of pharma...

yes you would think it would be painful but she never complains of any pain which i always found strange but today she said she had a bellyache so we really need to try something else.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

It's clear that the NATURAL medicine is not working in this situation. Honestly. You need to find a solution for your child. And being blind and refusing to use "pharma" is only going to cause your child more pain. It sounds like you're going from dr. to dr. to find one who will agree with your natural approach and are ignoring the real and true medical advice here. The only one who is suffering from it, is your child.
Please, for the sake of your suffering child, go back the GI, outline your concerns and LISTEN to his responses. The person being hurt here is your precious daughter.

#20 ·
User Agreement

Subscribe

To support the open exchange of ideas and opinions, Mothering.com members are required to treat one other with respect and courtesy at all times. MDC Members agree not to:

• post copyrighted material without permission (see Copyright guidelines)
  • upload or link to profane or sexually explicit text and images
  • harass, impersonate, intimidate or defame another member, group or entity
  • submit content that discriminates on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, religion or disability
  • post commercial messages/promote a specific company, product or service without MDC approval
  • post or delete content with the intention of disrupting discussions or violating the guidelines above.

Mothering reserves the right to remove member accounts that violates these guidelines; if we determine that a member violates these guidelines on a recurring basis, we may permanently revoke access to our service.

I think it does.

And OP I don't think anyone here wanted anything other than for you to get help for your daughter. Please update on what help you get her.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

you said right here - "we are very holistic and do not take any kind of pharma..." no assumptions neccessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Mamamoogs, please hear what these people are saying. You are NOT being ganged up on, you are being told that what you are doing is not responsible by a lot of people who just want to see your daughter comfortable. There's a difference. I'm all for a natural approach but I'm kind of appalled that any natural practitioner would take the time to go through 20 remedies without seeing an improvement and allow the child to suffer without telling you to seek medical help.

It's VERY short sighted to refuse pharma. It can be life saving. It can also be palliative and useful while you pursue natural methods of healing and could create a situation where she is comfortable as you search out the underlying cause. It's not fair for her that you're refusing treatment by mainstream medicine because ONE medication didn't work (I'm hoping I read that wrong.)

Please, from someone who has not one but THREE children that suffered from digestive issues, do not take a stand here. Accept help from the GI to at least stabilize her. If you want to go looking for an alternative treatment that works more power to you. Just don't let her suffer while you do. This has gone on too long with not enough relief. It is not a failure on your part or a kink in your crunchy armour to procure and dispense medication to a child that needs it. It is, however a failure to allow a child to suffer so that you can be "holistic."

#22 ·
Don't get all fussy with us! You, OP, are the one who first stated that you went to a GI (which implies ONE) & didn't follow his advice, and then had to back-peddle and say you went to SEVERAL GI's. Regardless - you obviously aren't interested in medically managing her problem, which I believe falls under the category of neglect.

Since you're so into the holistic thing, can you explain why you are against magnesium? It's pretty darn natural, IMO. And I completely agree with other posters who have said that your child is no longer feeling bowel pain. Your child is in pain, and you as her mother, need to help her.

btw...Google Munhchausen by proxy. Then look in the mirror.

Reactions: swede
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.