Bruising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious if anyone could give me some thoughts on bruising....

I have been getting these nasty bruises all over my legs, and I have no idea where they are coming from.  Likely just random bumps or DS whacking me, etc, but nothing that I would expect to get bruises from - and they look terrible! Does anyone have experience with this? I went to my doctor and she ran a blood panel and I don't have leukemia or anything like that, but she didn't test for iron/vitamin k levels since I don't appear to have any other symptoms.  Is there a way I can get it to stop?? Doc said that it sounded idiopathic, and there wasn't much to do about it.  shrug.gif

I'm not worried so much as I find it odd....

TIA!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

I get bad bruises on my legs too. One time at the pool a lady asked me "What did you do to your leg??" I had no idea what she was talking about until I looked at the back of my leg and saw like a 5 x 5 inch dark bruise there. I had no idea how I got it other than sort of remember bumping into something in the garage. It seems to only happen on my legs, although my foot was horribly bruised after having bunion surgery.

I wonder if it is because there is a lot of blood pooling in the legs? I whacked my upper arm really hard into the corner of a dresser a couple days ago and didn't get a bruise from that. Maybe it would be good to lay with your legs lifted up every night to kind of let the blood flow out of them? I should try that too.

#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

hmm, that's a good though - i'll try it!

#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 PM

low b12 can cause anemia which will cause bruising like that.  I went on a bus trip & spent time standing/leaning against a bus seat waiting for the bathroom.  The next day I had 28 bruises on my right leg from hip to knee from doing it.

#5 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 AM

#6 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

That is really interesting about the fish! My bruises were totally healing up, and then they started coming back this week...the only difference in lifestyle being that I ate several servings of fish! I actually don't take any supplements, etc, and have always shown other "idiopathic" signs of anemia, but labs have yet to come back with a low iron value.  Thanks for the info!

#7 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

That is really interesting about the fish! My bruises were totally healing up, and then they started coming back this week...the only difference in lifestyle being that I ate several servings of fish! I actually don't take any supplements, etc, and have always shown other "idiopathic" signs of anemia, but labs have yet to come back with a low iron value.  Thanks for the info!

Hmm, it sounds like the fish is quite suspect for you. I wonder if you, like me, ride on the borderline of a bleeding disorder, and any little thing like eating more fish than usual can throw you over the edge to have bleeding problems. Without the fish or other known clotting reducers, you may seem to have normal clotting capacity.

FWIW, I have mild von Willebrand's. It pops up occasionally, particularly during menstruation time, when the hormones are at their lowest levels. Usually I only see an issue maybe once a year, at most, now that I know and can control the factors that make it worse. I have a prescription med for this in the fridge in case of emergency (when I can't stop the bleeding normally). I also have to take special preparations for surgery (or childbirth). I also have a wallet card stating this information, in case of car accident, for example. Though, I probably should wear a medic-alert type tag.

I've found that occasionally taking some vitamin K2 seems to help. Also eating lots of leafy greens can help too. Not sure if I mentioned it in the other thread, but it seems that DHA without the EPA does not cause clotting issues for me. This kind of DHA is typically only found in algae-based DHA supplements, like neuromins. Fish oil always has some EPA in it.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#8 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, Thanks so much for that info!!! I found out that a cousin of mine has similar symptoms, so what you are describing may not be very far off - I'll make sure we both get looked at.

hug2.gif

#9 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post

I've found that occasionally taking some vitamin K2 seems to help. Also eating lots of leafy greens can help too. Not sure if I mentioned it in the other thread, but it seems that DHA without the EPA does not cause clotting issues for me. This kind of DHA is typically only found in algae-based DHA supplements, like neuromins. Fish oil always has some EPA in it.

We're a bleeding disorder family over here too, and have found the same -- DHA without EPA does not cause bleeding. My son has severe hemophilia, and used to get huge hematomas even with an 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil, so it was a great discovery when we found that we could give just the DHA.

I second the Von Willebrands suggestion -- it's in so many more families than people know. In order to be sure you're getting it properly diagnosed, though, you need someone who's really really familiar with bleeding disorders. Things like stress can change the test results significantly with VWD, so you need a hematologist who really knows what they're doing for diagnosis. Most of the time, those hematologists are found at Hemophilia Treatment Centers, in hospitals across the US. Here's the list to find one near you:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/ncbddd/htcweb/Dir_Report/Dir_Search.asp

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#10 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

We're a bleeding disorder family over here too, and have found the same -- DHA without EPA does not cause bleeding. My son has severe hemophilia, and used to get huge hematomas even with an 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil, so it was a great discovery when we found that we could give just the DHA.

I second the Von Willebrands suggestion -- it's in so many more families than people know. In order to be sure you're getting it properly diagnosed, though, you need someone who's really really familiar with bleeding disorders. Things like stress can change the test results significantly with VWD, so you need a hematologist who really knows what they're doing for diagnosis. Most of the time, those hematologists are found at Hemophilia Treatment Centers, in hospitals across the US. Here's the list to find one near you:

She's right, if you have a center near you, go there. If not, you may find a good one in an oncology place, strangely enough, as they are often hematologist/oncologists.

FWIW, I don't have heavy menstrual bleeding (sorry if TMI), but I definitely bleed in other ways - nose, mouth, all over bruises. So don't let them tell you that you don't have a bleeding problem if your menstrual flow is normal or even light. My von Willebrand's didn't show up on the first test I had, it only showed up on the second test. And I'm lucky it did, as it hasn't shown up on the handful of tests I've had since then. It's all in the timing of the test if you are borderline. If you are getting tested, you might want to coordinate your first visit (and therefore first blood testing) with the first 3-5 days of your cycle, to show the relatively lowest quantitative levels it can show. If you are borderline, that can make the difference in getting a diagnosis sooner.

Also, the first thing the doctor offered me when my von Willebrand's was discovered was contraceptive pills, because the hormones in them mask the bleeding symptoms in mild cases. I refused the pills, however, and instead decided to manage the bleeding other ways, and with the non-contraceptive prescription medication for emergencies. Just wanted to give you advance notice.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#11 of 12 Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

Wow, that's so crazy that the CLO would do that! The body is an amazing thing! I'm glad that you have been able to pinpoint what makes things better/worse for your son.  Before I read these posts, we went to dinner at a friend's house and both my son and I had fish, and now I am noticing bruising on his legs as well, which he doesn't seem to get via breast milk when I eat fish and he doesn't.  Thanks so much for that list! Luckily we are near Boston, so it should be relatively easy to find someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post

She's right, if you have a center near you, go there. If not, you may find a good one in an oncology place, strangely enough, as they are often hematologist/oncologists.

FWIW, I don't have heavy menstrual bleeding (sorry if TMI), but I definitely bleed in other ways - nose, mouth, all over bruises. So don't let them tell you that you don't have a bleeding problem if your menstrual flow is normal or even light. My von Willebrand's didn't show up on the first test I had, it only showed up on the second test. And I'm lucky it did, as it hasn't shown up on the handful of tests I've had since then. It's all in the timing of the test if you are borderline. If you are getting tested, you might want to coordinate your first visit (and therefore first blood testing) with the first 3-5 days of your cycle, to show the relatively lowest quantitative levels it can show. If you are borderline, that can make the difference in getting a diagnosis sooner.

Also, the first thing the doctor offered me when my von Willebrand's was discovered was contraceptive pills, because the hormones in them mask the bleeding symptoms in mild cases. I refused the pills, however, and instead decided to manage the bleeding other ways, and with the non-contraceptive prescription medication for emergencies. Just wanted to give you advance notice.

I haven't had a cycle yet (DS is only 9 months old), so I have a feeling that testing could be difficult for me.  That's interesting too about the hormones (I decided years ago that I wasn't comfortable taking contraceptive pills, so I will definitely look into other management options).  I have started to notice symptoms in my DS now too, so I need to be diligent in finding this out. 

Thanks so much for all of your info!!

#12 of 12 Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

Wow, that's so crazy that the CLO would do that! The body is an amazing thing! I'm glad that you have been able to pinpoint what makes things better/worse for your son.  Before I read these posts, we went to dinner at a friend's house and both my son and I had fish, and now I am noticing bruising on his legs as well, which he doesn't seem to get via breast milk when I eat fish and he doesn't.  Thanks so much for that list! Luckily we are near Boston, so it should be relatively easy to find someone.

The Boston HTC is an excellent one (not even all treatment centers are up to standard!). I've heard great, great things about the Boston center, though.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page