Bruising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
 
BabySmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious if anyone could give me some thoughts on bruising....

I have been getting these nasty bruises all over my legs, and I have no idea where they are coming from.  Likely just random bumps or DS whacking me, etc, but nothing that I would expect to get bruises from - and they look terrible! Does anyone have experience with this? I went to my doctor and she ran a blood panel and I don't have leukemia or anything like that, but she didn't test for iron/vitamin k levels since I don't appear to have any other symptoms.  Is there a way I can get it to stop?? Doc said that it sounded idiopathic, and there wasn't much to do about it.  shrug.gif

I'm not worried so much as I find it odd....

TIA!


     Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

BabySmurf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
 
lindberg99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I get bad bruises on my legs too. One time at the pool a lady asked me "What did you do to your leg??" I had no idea what she was talking about until I looked at the back of my leg and saw like a 5 x 5 inch dark bruise there. I had no idea how I got it other than sort of remember bumping into something in the garage. It seems to only happen on my legs, although my foot was horribly bruised after having bunion surgery.

 

I wonder if it is because there is a lot of blood pooling in the legs? I whacked my upper arm really hard into the corner of a dresser a couple days ago and didn't get a bruise from that. Maybe it would be good to lay with your legs lifted up every night to kind of let the blood flow out of them? I should try that too.

lindberg99 is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
BabySmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hmm, that's a good though - i'll try it!


     Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

BabySmurf is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 PM
 
CarrieMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 8,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

low b12 can cause anemia which will cause bruising like that.  I went on a bus trip & spent time standing/leaning against a bus seat waiting for the bathroom.  The next day I had 28 bruises on my right leg from hip to knee from doing it.

CarrieMF is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 AM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KimPM is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
BabySmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is really interesting about the fish! My bruises were totally healing up, and then they started coming back this week...the only difference in lifestyle being that I ate several servings of fish! I actually don't take any supplements, etc, and have always shown other "idiopathic" signs of anemia, but labs have yet to come back with a low iron value.  Thanks for the info!


     Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

BabySmurf is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

That is really interesting about the fish! My bruises were totally healing up, and then they started coming back this week...the only difference in lifestyle being that I ate several servings of fish! I actually don't take any supplements, etc, and have always shown other "idiopathic" signs of anemia, but labs have yet to come back with a low iron value.  Thanks for the info!


Hmm, it sounds like the fish is quite suspect for you. I wonder if you, like me, ride on the borderline of a bleeding disorder, and any little thing like eating more fish than usual can throw you over the edge to have bleeding problems. Without the fish or other known clotting reducers, you may seem to have normal clotting capacity.

FWIW, I have mild von Willebrand's. It pops up occasionally, particularly during menstruation time, when the hormones are at their lowest levels. Usually I only see an issue maybe once a year, at most, now that I know and can control the factors that make it worse. I have a prescription med for this in the fridge in case of emergency (when I can't stop the bleeding normally). I also have to take special preparations for surgery (or childbirth). I also have a wallet card stating this information, in case of car accident, for example. Though, I probably should wear a medic-alert type tag.

I've found that occasionally taking some vitamin K2 seems to help. Also eating lots of leafy greens can help too. Not sure if I mentioned it in the other thread, but it seems that DHA without the EPA does not cause clotting issues for me. This kind of DHA is typically only found in algae-based DHA supplements, like neuromins. Fish oil always has some EPA in it.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
 
BabySmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, Thanks so much for that info!!! I found out that a cousin of mine has similar symptoms, so what you are describing may not be very far off - I'll make sure we both get looked at.

hug2.gif


     Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

BabySmurf is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
 
mbravebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post

I've found that occasionally taking some vitamin K2 seems to help. Also eating lots of leafy greens can help too. Not sure if I mentioned it in the other thread, but it seems that DHA without the EPA does not cause clotting issues for me. This kind of DHA is typically only found in algae-based DHA supplements, like neuromins. Fish oil always has some EPA in it.


We're a bleeding disorder family over here too, and have found the same -- DHA without EPA does not cause bleeding. My son has severe hemophilia, and used to get huge hematomas even with an 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil, so it was a great discovery when we found that we could give just the DHA.

 

I second the Von Willebrands suggestion -- it's in so many more families than people know. In order to be sure you're getting it properly diagnosed, though, you need someone who's really really familiar with bleeding disorders. Things like stress can change the test results significantly with VWD, so you need a hematologist who really knows what they're doing for diagnosis. Most of the time, those hematologists are found at Hemophilia Treatment Centers, in hospitals across the US. Here's the list to find one near you:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/ncbddd/htcweb/Dir_Report/Dir_Search.asp

 


Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.
 

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

mbravebird is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

We're a bleeding disorder family over here too, and have found the same -- DHA without EPA does not cause bleeding. My son has severe hemophilia, and used to get huge hematomas even with an 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil, so it was a great discovery when we found that we could give just the DHA.

 

I second the Von Willebrands suggestion -- it's in so many more families than people know. In order to be sure you're getting it properly diagnosed, though, you need someone who's really really familiar with bleeding disorders. Things like stress can change the test results significantly with VWD, so you need a hematologist who really knows what they're doing for diagnosis. Most of the time, those hematologists are found at Hemophilia Treatment Centers, in hospitals across the US. Here's the list to find one near you:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/ncbddd/htcweb/Dir_Report/Dir_Search.asp

 


She's right, if you have a center near you, go there. If not, you may find a good one in an oncology place, strangely enough, as they are often hematologist/oncologists.

FWIW, I don't have heavy menstrual bleeding (sorry if TMI), but I definitely bleed in other ways - nose, mouth, all over bruises. So don't let them tell you that you don't have a bleeding problem if your menstrual flow is normal or even light. My von Willebrand's didn't show up on the first test I had, it only showed up on the second test. And I'm lucky it did, as it hasn't shown up on the handful of tests I've had since then. It's all in the timing of the test if you are borderline. If you are getting tested, you might want to coordinate your first visit (and therefore first blood testing) with the first 3-5 days of your cycle, to show the relatively lowest quantitative levels it can show. If you are borderline, that can make the difference in getting a diagnosis sooner.

Also, the first thing the doctor offered me when my von Willebrand's was discovered was contraceptive pills, because the hormones in them mask the bleeding symptoms in mild cases. I refused the pills, however, and instead decided to manage the bleeding other ways, and with the non-contraceptive prescription medication for emergencies. Just wanted to give you advance notice.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
BabySmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post


 



We're a bleeding disorder family over here too, and have found the same -- DHA without EPA does not cause bleeding. My son has severe hemophilia, and used to get huge hematomas even with an 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil, so it was a great discovery when we found that we could give just the DHA.

 

I second the Von Willebrands suggestion -- it's in so many more families than people know. In order to be sure you're getting it properly diagnosed, though, you need someone who's really really familiar with bleeding disorders. Things like stress can change the test results significantly with VWD, so you need a hematologist who really knows what they're doing for diagnosis. Most of the time, those hematologists are found at Hemophilia Treatment Centers, in hospitals across the US. Here's the list to find one near you:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/ncbddd/htcweb/Dir_Report/Dir_Search.asp

 



 

Wow, that's so crazy that the CLO would do that! The body is an amazing thing! I'm glad that you have been able to pinpoint what makes things better/worse for your son.  Before I read these posts, we went to dinner at a friend's house and both my son and I had fish, and now I am noticing bruising on his legs as well, which he doesn't seem to get via breast milk when I eat fish and he doesn't.  Thanks so much for that list! Luckily we are near Boston, so it should be relatively easy to find someone.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post



She's right, if you have a center near you, go there. If not, you may find a good one in an oncology place, strangely enough, as they are often hematologist/oncologists.

FWIW, I don't have heavy menstrual bleeding (sorry if TMI), but I definitely bleed in other ways - nose, mouth, all over bruises. So don't let them tell you that you don't have a bleeding problem if your menstrual flow is normal or even light. My von Willebrand's didn't show up on the first test I had, it only showed up on the second test. And I'm lucky it did, as it hasn't shown up on the handful of tests I've had since then. It's all in the timing of the test if you are borderline. If you are getting tested, you might want to coordinate your first visit (and therefore first blood testing) with the first 3-5 days of your cycle, to show the relatively lowest quantitative levels it can show. If you are borderline, that can make the difference in getting a diagnosis sooner.

Also, the first thing the doctor offered me when my von Willebrand's was discovered was contraceptive pills, because the hormones in them mask the bleeding symptoms in mild cases. I refused the pills, however, and instead decided to manage the bleeding other ways, and with the non-contraceptive prescription medication for emergencies. Just wanted to give you advance notice.


I haven't had a cycle yet (DS is only 9 months old), so I have a feeling that testing could be difficult for me.  That's interesting too about the hormones (I decided years ago that I wasn't comfortable taking contraceptive pills, so I will definitely look into other management options).  I have started to notice symptoms in my DS now too, so I need to be diligent in finding this out. 

Thanks so much for all of your info!!


     Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

BabySmurf is offline  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
 
mbravebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

 

Wow, that's so crazy that the CLO would do that! The body is an amazing thing! I'm glad that you have been able to pinpoint what makes things better/worse for your son.  Before I read these posts, we went to dinner at a friend's house and both my son and I had fish, and now I am noticing bruising on his legs as well, which he doesn't seem to get via breast milk when I eat fish and he doesn't.  Thanks so much for that list! Luckily we are near Boston, so it should be relatively easy to find someone.

 

The Boston HTC is an excellent one (not even all treatment centers are up to standard!). I've heard great, great things about the Boston center, though.


Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.
 

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

mbravebird is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off