"anti inflammatory diet" and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I have fibromyalgia and my symptoms were really bad during pregnancy, eased a bit postpartum and are getting bad again now six months PP. (I'm not sure if hormonal fluctuations have anything to do with it or not.)

My chiropractor mentioned changing my diet in hopes that my pain and stiffness would improve. She said there is a food elimination diet but that I can't do it while breastfeeding. DS eats food pretty well but also nurses a lot still.

Any suggestions? She said maybe at least eliminating sugar but I'm not sure if that also means fruits and carbs. I should also mention that I do eat fish and chicken but I've never been a huge fan of meat.

Thank you!!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Fibromyalgia is a degenerative disease with several causal factors, including structural misalignment, poor nutrition and malabsorption of nutrients. From a nutritional perspective, I realize there can be a lot of confusion about what to eat to help alleviate the symptoms of fibromyalgia, particularly since there is so much conflicting information. To that end, I recommend a balanced approach to your diet. Focus on eating organic, whole foods, which should include an abundance of vegetables, nuts and seeds, while limiting your intake of processed foods, sugar and caffeine. As for your question about sugar -- it is ok to eat moderate amounts of fruit; however, I recommend avoiding refined carbohydrates. You can consume whole grains such as quinoa and brown rice. In addition, it is important to avoid preservatives, artificial flavors and ingredients, and glutamates. Plus, you may want to experiment with eating 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 large meals and see how you feel.

Choose foods that are lower in arachidonic acid, which is a form of an Omega 6 fatty acid that can be found in higher concentrations in egg yolks, organ meats and some other animal based food items. (Arachidonic acid in excess can be unhealthy because it promotes inflammation.) Supplement with Omega 3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation, from fish oil or flax oil and experiment with eating foods that are high in Omega 3’s such as Wild Alaskan Salmon, walnuts, ground flax seeds and anchovies. A typical American diet contains 11 to 30 times more Omega 6 than Omega 3 fatty acids. In general, the balance between Omega 6 and Omega 3 should be 1:1.

If you suspect that you have food allergies, I recommend that you get tested to determine if you need to eliminate certain foods from your diet. Common allergenic foods are dairy, soy, citrus, peanuts, wheat, fish, eggs, corn and tomatoes. Another possibility that you referred to in your question is to experiment with an elimination diet by removing suspected allergens from your diet for two weeks. Reintroduce one food every three days. Observe if you have reactions such as gastrointestinal upset, mood changes, flushing, fatigue, and worsening of symptoms. A rotation diet, in which the same food is not eaten more than once every four days, may reduce sensitivities. You can do an elimination diet while breastfeeding, as long as it does not involve a detoxification component, since the released toxins will migrate into your milk. Additionally, make sure you are eating enough to support the extra calorie demand that breastfeeding puts on you.

You may also find it helpful to keep a food diary. The food diary will help you reflect on what you eat and how it makes you feel. This will help you tune into your body, and become more aware of harmful food patterns that may be exasperating your symptoms. In addition, it will assist you in recognizing what foods nourish you and increase your vitality.

Finally, I recommend seeing a naturopathic doctor to further support you in managing your symptoms by evaluating your body chemistry and determining the cause of your imbalance, while offering guidance on supplementation and diet. In addition, a naturopathic doctor can help assess if you may have an iodine deficiency or heavy metal toxicity, which may be contributing in part to your health condition.

#3 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM

I know this is super old but I just wanted to chime in. There is a diet book called "The Super Simple Diet" and it is in fact an anti-inflammatory diet. It is SOOOOOOOO much food tho so I'm sure it wouldn't affect breastfeeding. It helped with what I know now is Fibromyalgia. 

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page