4yo intact son with redness and pain on penis--is this yeast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

x-posted from the circumcision forum

My son is 4 1/2. He retracted himself maybe 9-12 months ago. At that point I talked with him about retracting in the tub to get clean everywhere, but I don't always sit there every second when he is in the tub, and I can't say how consistent he is with doing that. I've also talked with him about retracting when he pees, but he usually does NOT do that. I have not fretted over it because I figure for the first 4 years of his life he peed with the foreskin down so I figured it wasn't a big deal... (In TCAC forum someone told me that it's no big deal to retract for peeing, and that washing is probably not a huge issue at his age either. We do NOT use soap in the tub.)

On Sunday he came up to me after going to the toilet and said that his penis hurt. He pulled back his foreskin to show me (after telling me to not touch cuz it hurts), and about half of the head of his penis is dark red. I don't see any bleeding or places that look like a rash or a cut/scrape/etc, just part of his penis is definitely a much darker red than the rest of it. He says it is very sore, and every time he has gone to the bathroom in the last day and a half. It doesn't look different from the rest of his penis except for the color--it's not dried out, i can't see a line at the edge of the color change--just part of his penis is darker and he says it hurts.

He's clearly upset by the pain (he is in a dramatic stage, so I don't know how severe the pain really is--he hasn't been crying over it, but he definitely doesn't want me to touch either. He says it hurts whether the penis is in or out and even when it's in his clothes, but he has only mentioned it to me after going to the toilet. He mentioned it twice on sunday, then once monday morning, then again last night in the middle of the night... He says it hurts when touched (ie, he notices when going to the bathroom), but since he hasn't commented at other times then I suspect that the pain/discomfort is mild otherwise.

Does this sound like a yeast infection? I've been looking up penile yeast infections online, and we have not had any antibiotics in the house, he's not diabetic, and obviously he's not sexually active... *I* have been battling thrush for several months, and while the baby has not shown any symptoms, he does usually bathe with the 4yo, and I wonder if baby might just be asymptomatic but still has it and shared it with his brother via tub water?

Any thoughts or help would be REALLY appreciated.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you find the answer to this?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page