Cycles getting shorter - any thoughts on why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never dealt with this before. Right from puberty, my cycles stabilized at about 25.5-26 days. I was on the pill for several years, so they were exactly 28 days apart. After I went off it, I had one more 28 day cycle, then reverted to 25.5.  After I weaned ds1, I had one or two irregular (by a few days) cycles, then again back to 25.5 days. I got my period back four months pp with dd1, and had a 25.5-26 day cycle. Same with ds2, although it took 17 months to come back....came back quickly after we lost Aaron, but on my usual cycle.

So, I had dd2 in June, 2009. In November, I got my first period. They were somwhat irregular for a couple months...coming in at around 30 days. Then, I had a 36-37 day cycle (actually went and got a pregnancy test, because I was seriously wondering...and I had a tubal. - I don't ever remember having a cycle that long). The one after that was almost exactly 26 days, so I thought maybe I was settling back down. My next one was 24 days. I just got it, and it's been either 21 or 22 days.

Has anyone experienced this shortening of cycles before? I'm not really looking forward to 1-2 days of bad headache, backache, stomach upset, etc. every three weeks, if they don't stabilize. That extra 4-5 days between may not sound like much, but it feels like a lot! I'm thinking I may get back on Floradix, because I have a slight tendency to mild anemia, and this seems as though it would aggravate it, but...any thoughts on what's happening?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#2 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 AM

Adrenal and thyroid problems can both make cycles shorter.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#3 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM

I have experienced this, my shortest cycle was 22 days. This was during a time when I had adrenal problems. I'm probably not 1000000% healed but I'm much better now, and cycles are up to 25-26 days now. I can't tell you what my "normal" cycle is because I have not been tracking that long, but I knew for sure it wasn't 22 days.

Healing my adrenals took a while but obviously was well worth it for my health and good feeling overall. I believe it also healed "depression" which I believe was physical (not emotional) in nature, in my particular case. The cure was just all the common sense stuff everyone already knows and that are hard to take really seriously: sleeping well and long enough, eating good, real food (I follow a somewhat TF diet), reducing my stress (made some difficult decisions in my life that ultimately reduced stress). Also, eating grain-free was the capper.

#4 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I've suspected I have adrenal or thyroid (or both!) issues for quite a while, but I had no idea they could shorten one's cycles. I guess I really need to get serious about addressing this. I got my thyroid tested months ago, but my doctor only did the standard tests, and I ended up so frustrated by our accompanying conversation that I completely forgot to request extra labs. My issues with the medical profession aren't helping me deal with all this...and neither is my over indulgence in grains. I'm working on it, though...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Yup, adrenal fatigue is very common and one of the main causes is having more than one child.  Um, shouldn't most of us be screwy then, lol?!

Also, how old are you?  Could you be in perimenopause?  I am 39 and have been going thru it for 2 years already.  That will certainly cause strange things to happen w/your cycles.

I use a good quality progesterone cream (most of us need that!), and started myself on iodine.  I am about to order a good adrenal supplement, too, after talking w/my sister about how much it is helping her.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#6 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM

my cycles are getting shorter - and I have less volume.  I do suspect adrenal fatigue as well also my doctor said that as you get in your mid 30s you start spotting and you might notice changes to your periods.  Nice - so I guess I am getting older already. 

#7 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Yup, adrenal fatigue is very common and one of the main causes is having more than one child.  Um, shouldn't most of us be screwy then, lol?!

I've had five children, and the last four were born in '03, '05, '07 and '09. DD2 is still breastfeeding, and they've all been c-sections, and my fourth baby (the one in '07) was stillborn after a very long labour and emergency c-section. I had a raging systemic infection. My body has absolutely, without a doubt, been through a lot in the last 8.5 years. Between the physical stresses of both pregnancy and surgery, the hormonal effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding, and the emotional stresses of birth-related PTSD and losing my beautiful little boy...yeah - I'm definitely a candidate for "burn out", which is really adrenal fatigue, imo.

Also, how old are you?  Could you be in perimenopause?  I am 39 and have been going thru it for 2 years already.  That will certainly cause strange things to happen w/your cycles.

I'm 43. Perimenopause is possible, but I don't think it's likely, honestly. Our known family history (my dad was adopted, and we know nothing on that side) is fairly early (by the standards back then, anyway) first menarche, heavy periods, short cycles, and late menopause. My mom doesn't ever remember any signs of perimenopause, and she didn't go through true menopause until her mid-50s. My pattern has been pretty much the same as hers, except without the crippling migraines, until now.

I use a good quality progesterone cream (most of us need that!), and started myself on iodine.  I am about to order a good adrenal supplement, too, after talking w/my sister about how much it is helping her.

You know - I using dulse for iodine and I just kind of...forgot about it. I don't track very well these days.

#8 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I agree that childbirth and sleep loss puts us all at risk for adrenal fatigue. Mine has cropped up after each pregnancy. After I stopped nursing my first, my cycle was down to 21-24 days -- and my temps never got over 97 throughout the day. Here's my summary of stuff that worked for me:

http://www.howigotmyhealthback.com/adrenal-and-thyroid-treatment.php

Good luck with all this! There are simple things that you can do that will help right away. The biggest thing, I've found, is sleep, which is hard if your little one is still waking. But I've found that nettle infusion and "earthing" have helped me sleep better even when I'm being woken frequently. That and going to bed early, which is so hard...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#9 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

DD2 has just - in the last week - started sleeping through the night more or less reliably. She goes to bed pretty late, however.

I'll get back on the nettle infusions, too. They were helping, I think...just so subtle that I kind of let them slip, too. Life is too crazy.

#10 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I would totally think it could be possible for you to be starting perimenopause.  It can go on for 10 years before AF ceases to come!

However, I would lean more towards adrenals, really.  Good luck, Mama!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#11 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

I would totally think it could be possible for you to be starting perimenopause.  It can go on for 10 years before AF ceases to come!

Oh, I know. It's not just that my mom was in her 50s when she went through menopause, though. It's also that she showed no signs of perimenopause at all. In terms of symptoms, her menopause started and was over within a year.

However, I would lean more towards adrenals, really.  Good luck, Mama!

That's what I'm thinking, too. I've suspected adrenal fatigue for a long time, but didn't realize it could set off short cycles like this. (Good stuff - get to add probable anemia to everything else. Time to re-introduce organ meats to my life, too. I've been meaning to do that for a while.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page