Pelvic floor issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 19 Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

I have been dealing with pain off and on for awhile.  This past week, the pain was worse, to the point where I thought something more alarming was happening.

The Dr. hasn't been able to find much and is thinking it relates to weakened pelvic floor muscles.

 

I'm wondering, for those of you who have a similar issue, what kind of treatment helped you?  How did you go about getting a diagnosis?  Did you see a physical therapist?

 

 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#2 of 19 Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Jewels*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I experienced (and am still in the midst of dealing with) a lot of pelvic floor issues.  Birth of my DD was great, no tearing, she was born while i was squatting; into the water... however, following the birth of my DD (at 6 weeks PP) I broke my pelvis in 4 places.  

 

As you can imagine, having just barely recovered from childbirth and then breaking your pelvis can wreak havoc on your pelvic floor!!! (I'm 10 months post accident now)

 

It took me going to see a specialized physiotherapist just recently to begin feeling better.  My doctor told me to do kegels etc etc which I did religiously but after talking at length with the physio, she told me that a lot of women are doing them incorrectly and that was the cause of a lot of the issues.  (Me included)

 

As for getting a diagnosis, I can't really help - my situation is pretty cut and dry.  I urge you to go see a physio, esp if they specialize in pelvic health.  It has made a world of difference!

Jewels* is offline  
#3 of 19 Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, Jewels!  I'm so sorry that you broke your pelvis and had so much pain.

Glad you found someone to help.  My sister-in-law saw a physiotherapist also.  Did you get a referral from your doctor?

 

I also did some reading and found exactly what your physio said, that until someone sees a physiotherapist, they might be doing the wrong thing for their body.  I'm really glad that you reiterated that.  My regular Dr. (family practitioner) told me to start taking Pilates.  From some of the reading I've done, it sounds like depending on the situation, Pilates can make certain conditions worse.

 

In my case, it's a cumulative effect over many years.  I was thrown off of a horse and landed on my side in 1998.  Gave birth to my daughters (one in 2006, one in 2009) and fell holding my daughter in 2010.  Again, landing on my side.  I think all in all, my hips are way out of alignment.  So, a diagnosis will be good.

 

I'll be looking into a physiotherapist soon!  Thank you!  All the best to you, Jewels. :)


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#4 of 19 Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
 
mbravebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The pelvic floor queen is Katy Bowman. You can start with this article, but definitely look into her more:

 

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

 

My incontinence finally stopped after doing just a few of her recommendations. I keep meaning to order her pelvic floor dvd.

 

Also, do a search on here for pelvic floor threads. I know some of them have more Katy links.


Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.
 

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

mbravebird is offline  
#5 of 19 Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
 
lilmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sorry you are dealing with that, I know how miserable it is!

I had major pelvic floor issues for awhile, and it turned out that it was due to my pelvic bone/hips being waaay out of alignment. I recommend 2 things: Seeing an excellent chiropractor who can put you back in alignment, as well as acupuncture. Those 2 things helped tremendously. I will also say kegels made me much, much worse, and I went to a physio prior to the chiro and acupuncture, and she told me NOT to do kegels, so maybe that depends on the person. My muscles were so tight in the pelvic floor I needed them to relax, not constrict any more. They also recommended that I have lots of sex, because that would help too, fwiw. At any rate, I hope you get some relief!

lilmom is offline  
#6 of 19 Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is great!  Thank you mbravebird!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

The pelvic floor queen is Katy Bowman. You can start with this article, but definitely look into her more:

 

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

 

My incontinence finally stopped after doing just a few of her recommendations. I keep meaning to order her pelvic floor dvd.

 

Also, do a search on here for pelvic floor threads. I know some of them have more Katy links.



 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#7 of 19 Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi lilmom,

Thank you for sharing your story and what worked for you!  I will most likely start doing those things soon.  It's amazing how many people have talked about kegels and how they're not for everyone and/or we might not being doing them right.  I think my first step will be to see a pelvic floor physiotherapist.  Then chiro and acupuncture.

 

Here's another piece of my puzzle.  I just found out I have a small hernia in my groin/pelvic area that needs to be repaired.  So that will be my true first step.  Healing from that first.   Then I'll start the pelvic floor muscle healing journey.  :)  Thank you everyone, for your feedback!

Of course, I welcome any more stories and advice since I'm definitely having pelvic floor issues on top of the hernia.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

I am so sorry you are dealing with that, I know how miserable it is!

I had major pelvic floor issues for awhile, and it turned out that it was due to my pelvic bone/hips being waaay out of alignment. I recommend 2 things: Seeing an excellent chiropractor who can put you back in alignment, as well as acupuncture. Those 2 things helped tremendously. I will also say kegels made me much, much worse, and I went to a physio prior to the chiro and acupuncture, and she told me NOT to do kegels, so maybe that depends on the person. My muscles were so tight in the pelvic floor I needed them to relax, not constrict any more. They also recommended that I have lots of sex, because that would help too, fwiw. At any rate, I hope you get some relief!



 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#8 of 19 Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
 
mbravebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

I am so sorry you are dealing with that, I know how miserable it is!

I had major pelvic floor issues for awhile, and it turned out that it was due to my pelvic bone/hips being waaay out of alignment. I recommend 2 things: Seeing an excellent chiropractor who can put you back in alignment, as well as acupuncture. Those 2 things helped tremendously. I will also say kegels made me much, much worse, and I went to a physio prior to the chiro and acupuncture, and she told me NOT to do kegels, so maybe that depends on the person. My muscles were so tight in the pelvic floor I needed them to relax, not constrict any more. They also recommended that I have lots of sex, because that would help too, fwiw. At any rate, I hope you get some relief!


Yes, I had never heard not to do kegels until Katy Bowman. Katy says that most people with pelvic floor issues should NOT do kegels. Certainly was true for me. Just a few weeks of Katy's exercises did what lots of kegels never ever did. So interesting!

 


Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.
 

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

mbravebird is offline  
#9 of 19 Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
 
lilmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

RavenStar, I am so glad you have a plan of action! One day you will be pain-free!!! Best wishes for a wonderful healing journey!! That is very interesting about your hernia. I hope it gets fixed quickly and easily.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar View Post

Hi lilmom,

Thank you for sharing your story and what worked for you!  I will most likely start doing those things soon.  It's amazing how many people have talked about kegels and how they're not for everyone and/or we might not being doing them right.  I think my first step will be to see a pelvic floor physiotherapist.  Then chiro and acupuncture.

 

Here's another piece of my puzzle.  I just found out I have a small hernia in my groin/pelvic area that needs to be repaired.  So that will be my true first step.  Healing from that first.   Then I'll start the pelvic floor muscle healing journey.  :)  Thank you everyone, for your feedback!

Of course, I welcome any more stories and advice since I'm definitely having pelvic floor issues on top of the hernia.
 



 



 

lilmom is offline  
#10 of 19 Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
 
APToddlerMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OP-- I had pelvic floor issues stemming from pregnancy/birth and saw a physical therapist who was well trained in biofeedback and pelvic floor dysfunction.  She was great and it helped a lot.  I wouldn't just see any PT though...not all of them have specialized training you'd want/need.  I do not think pilates would be a good idea.  I can't remember everything because it has been a few years now, but she told me a lot of exercises where you are lifting your head up are really bad for the pelvic floor even if you don't have issues.  The chiropractor was really helpful to me as well.  Good luck! 

APToddlerMama is offline  
#11 of 19 Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A chiropractor would be my first inclination. I did have had some pelvic floor issues and had pubic symphysis disorder with 3 pregnancies. I have gotten rid of most of them through chiropractic. Here are some suggestions for pain http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html

falafala is offline  
#12 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for the advice!  Once I heal from the hernia surgery, I'm going to start some type of specialized PT.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

OP-- I had pelvic floor issues stemming from pregnancy/birth and saw a physical therapist who was well trained in biofeedback and pelvic floor dysfunction.  She was great and it helped a lot.  I wouldn't just see any PT though...not all of them have specialized training you'd want/need.  I do not think pilates would be a good idea.  I can't remember everything because it has been a few years now, but she told me a lot of exercises where you are lifting your head up are really bad for the pelvic floor even if you don't have issues.  The chiropractor was really helpful to me as well.  Good luck! 



 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#13 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

A chiropractor would be my first inclination. I did have had some pelvic floor issues and had pubic symphysis disorder with 3 pregnancies. I have gotten rid of most of them through chiropractic. Here are some suggestions for pain http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html



 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#14 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
 
PikkuMyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: hmmm
Posts: 7,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not a mom yet but I had horrible PFD issues causing UTI-like symptoms with no infections.

I went to a physiotherapist specializing in pelvic issues and within 6 weeks I was on my way to recovery! I can't recommend it highly enough.

Early intervention specialist and parent consultant since 2002.
PikkuMyy is offline  
#15 of 19 Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
 
herbsgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kegelmaster helps me!!!!!! After 4 children, I dont know how bad of shape I would be in if I didnt use my Kegelmaster.   My husband likes me to use it, it helps incontience and to tighten my complete pelvic floor.

herbsgirl is offline  
#16 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Thank you for sharing this!  I think visiting a physiotherapist is my next step. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikkuMyy View Post

I'm not a mom yet but I had horrible PFD issues causing UTI-like symptoms with no infections.
I went to a physiotherapist specializing in pelvic issues and within 6 weeks I was on my way to recovery! I can't recommend it highly enough.


 


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#17 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, herbsgirl!  I will look into that. :)


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#18 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had inguinal hernia repair surgery in September on the right side.  Now I believe I have another inguinal hernia on the left side.  I just saw the surgeon today and he said it's very small and right now it's up to me if I want to have surgery.  He said at this point it's not dangerous to just wait.

 

So I think for now, I will watch and wait.  It is painful when I do more lifting or if I press on it.  He said the smaller hernias sometimes hurt more because fat gets stuck in the tear.  My only concern is that we would like to try for one more baby.  I'm worried that the tear will get bigger with all of that pressure.  So I might have the surgery after all.

 

In the meantime, I am going to seek out a physiotherapist to help my pelvic floor muscles and rebuild.  I think there are several things going on it my body.  My left hip also slips from time to time.  My plan is to really focus on healing my body for the next year or so.  Thank you, everyone, for all of your support!


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
#19 of 19 Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
RavenStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you with pelvic pain that has yet to be diagnosed, I found an interesting article.  It's about inguinal hernias and how they are difficult to diagnose in women.  According to the article, women are often misdiagnosed.  I hope that someone finds this article helpful.  I'm feeling very thankful that the ER doctor diagnosed me.

Blessings to you all!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/health/17brody.html


Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

RavenStar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off