New kids making us sick? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > New kids making us sick?
Abarat's Avatar Abarat 10:51 AM 09-18-2011

This may seem an odd thought, but hear me out...

We just took in 2 foster boys (8mo and 2yo) (amazing kiddos).  The 8mo old has frequent ear infections and they are both frequently snotty and congested.  They had 4 visits with us which lasted several days and each time they came to our home and our 5yo and I get sick late that day or the next day with sinus infection type symptoms.  They've just moved in and we're sick again!  We are not a family that gets sick often.

It just seems too consistent to be coincidence.  I'm a SAHM and so my son is home with me so I know he's not carrying things home from daycare or school at just the right time.

Does anyone know of a situation where kids can be carrying something and exposure like this could continue to make someone sick?  

Their doctor isn't worth much (and we are not allowed to change physicians) so it's up to me to find out what's going on and demand what I think they need.  I'd love to get these boys (and us) fixed up!

lindberg99's Avatar lindberg99 05:36 AM 09-19-2011

It just sounds like they are passing on colds to you. They are snotty/sick when they come, you get sick. They are snotty/sick when they come again, but this time from a different virus, they pass it on to you.

If your son has never been in daycare or preschool, you haven't been exposed much to kid germs so you are going to get everything that the boys bring home. Are they living with you full time now? Hopefully that will improve things.

I don't really know what you can do about it other than washing hands, etc. Maybe make sure they are getting enough vitamin D?

elmh23's Avatar elmh23 04:37 PM 09-21-2011

Colds happen.  Is your son ever around other kids or adults?  Cause he could be bringing home those bugs and sharing. 

Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 04:45 PM 09-21-2011
Sounds normal to me. I mean, I doubt the foster kids are always carrying more germs than any other average kid (though, I suppose their immune systems could be weaker - 1 of my 4 kids definitely is more likely to get sick than the others ; all of us are different).

If you and your 5 yo aren't in contact with a bunch of other people, mainly kids, who by nature do tend to spread germs around more frequently - then it's just your own immune systems which will have to build up some tolerance. Same thing happens when kids start daycare or school. Ask any parent or teacher who is suddenly around other kids than those in their family.

You could just wash hands a lot and take vit D, and such - otherwise, just think of it as building up your immune system.
lonegirl's Avatar lonegirl 06:03 PM 09-21-2011

Have you never had a cold before this?  wink1.gif

That's all it sounds like to me.  Kids touch everything, sneezing coughing....they can come to you non-symptomatic but carrying the virus.

cameragirl's Avatar cameragirl 06:14 PM 09-21-2011
It isn't uncommon for foster kids to have weak immune systems. They've been through a lot of stress, many are malnourished, etc. I know that they're strict about supplements...what about asking the pediatrician to test their vitamin D levels? If you can, it might help to feed them foods that have probiotics as well. (Yogurt, kefir, fermented pickles, etc.) At least the probiotic foods wouldn't require doctor approval.

For what it is worth, my grandma took in two boys that were VERY sick. One had constant allergies and asthma, the other Marfan's. She is a retired nurse and gets medically fragile teens. Both boys rarely got colds, and the boy with asthma and allergies had near complete relief of symptoms after a few months on a healthy diet.
elisheva's Avatar elisheva 01:00 AM 09-22-2011

Also, some people just get sick more often than others (in addition to the reasons cited by pps) even when exposed to the same germs.

heatherdeg's Avatar heatherdeg 01:34 AM 09-24-2011

Check your state laws, but OTC stuff (like supplements) are allowable if taken per label instructions in most states.  Thankfully, it was in mine!  In which case, you could give them Vit. D with no problem.  Same for probiotic supplements (vs. just in the food).

We were foster parents for several years and our experience is that the kids are sometimes dirtier than most (not always) but otherwise, not concerning.  But their usually deplorable nutrition (well, for the 3 older ones we had), usual lack of hygiene training (which stems from parents who lack it and model that for them), and the stress load they're carrying--yeah, that's ripe for them coming down with stuff that other people are probably going to brush off.

If you had transitional visits but they're now in your home, you guys will hopefully all get through it in a week.

Oh, and head's up: we found the foster kids to more frequently have damaged digestive systems.  This can sometimes cause sensory, development and behavior problems.  I would ABSOLUTELY get them on a probiotic and a daily dose of fish oil just as a starting point.  I don't know if you've done this a long time, but we've always kept a log of every kid in our house: what they eat, at what times, drink, bathrooming (we ditched that with the older ones just due to privacy issues--we never even attempted to figure out what they let out and when), sleeping, etc.  It was a huge help when dealing with doctors, documenting behavior changes (especially after visits because we had a non-visit baseline for them to see the difference) and finding food irritants (sometimes).

Good luck!

Abarat's Avatar Abarat 11:30 AM 09-24-2011

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I didn't mean to start anything that singled out foster kids, but wanted to explain why the kids were now living with us and not just visit for a short while.  Also, their doctor is pretty worthless so I was wondering if there was some reason they were always sick and if our getting sick every time they came signaled something odd to look into as far as their health..  I know they didn't get the best nutritional start and the home they were taken out of was by no means clean so I hope to get them as fixed up as we can and on the right track, especially if they go back because they'll need it.

Love the suggestions of probiotics and supplements.  I'll get with their worker and doctor about the non-food type supplements.

I appreciate all the help!

BubblingBrooks's Avatar BubblingBrooks 12:09 PM 09-24-2011

You can purchase wonderful super probiotics (in fridge section of natural food stores) for infants and toddlers that can be added to formula and regular milk. That would really help them out, and it is a food based supp.

And I would really look at getting their Vitamins A and D built up as well. OTC kinds may not help as much as a really natural cod liver oil though (fermented is best, no heat processing like all others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarat View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I didn't mean to start anything that singled out foster kids, but wanted to explain why the kids were now living with us and not just visit for a short while.  Also, their doctor is pretty worthless so I was wondering if there was some reason they were always sick and if our getting sick every time they came signaled something odd to look into as far as their health..  I know they didn't get the best nutritional start and the home they were taken out of was by no means clean so I hope to get them as fixed up as we can and on the right track, especially if they go back because they'll need it.

Love the suggestions of probiotics and supplements.  I'll get with their worker and doctor about the non-food type supplements.

I appreciate all the help!

Abarat's Avatar Abarat 06:03 PM 09-24-2011

With the fish oil, is the 8 month old too young for it?

I've been giving them yogurt a lot, but will add some Kefir.  We don't have a natural foods store in town and I can't afford to drive to one for a while, so I'm having to make do with what I can find in town.

BubblingBrooks's Avatar BubblingBrooks 06:15 PM 09-24-2011

Fermented cod liver oil is appropriate for all ages.
www.greenpasture.org or www.drrons.com for source.
One bottle lasts an adult nearly 6 months.
Baby doses are 1/8 to 1/4 of a tsp.
Watch out for other brands as they are heat processed and often have added ingredients and they do not have the original vitamins in them.

Up