Pls kidney infection help, advice needed for friend - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A dear breastfeeding friend of mine was just diagnosed with a kidney infection and since she is allergic to sulfa drugs the ER Doc wants her to take Cipro and telling her to stop BFing her 4mth old for a weekCuss.gif!  She has limited access to internet so I'm trying to do a bit of online natural remedy research for her.  It looks like aloe vera and Uva Ursi are great for kidney infections but both are uterine stimulants so maybe not the best while BFing?  Any other advice, blueberry juice, cranberry, yes or no?

TIA!!

Sarah

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Part 2:  So my friend did some research and found that Keflex is supposedly safe while breastfeeding so the Doc started her on it last night.  But I just found this, WTH??  "FDA pregnancy category B. Keflex is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Cephalexin can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Keflex without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby."  Arrggghhh, don't the docs know anything...hummm...let me think for a second, NO!

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#3 of 3 Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just searched Dr. Hale's website and got the following information about cephalexin (Kelfex):

"Only minimal concentrations of cephalexin are passed into the milk. These concentrations are not thought to be clinically significant, which is why cephalexin is categorized as an L1 drug and is presumably safe."

I don't know where you got your information, but drug companies often put out 'scary' warnings as a CYA thing, not because they've got any proof. Dr. Hale has done considerable research in the area, and I've never heard anything that suggests his research is faulty. I'd trust his opinion.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page