Bad reaction to Isocort? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been on thyroid meds (dessicated) for several months and felt no better and I was supposed to start taking some adrenal support stuff but it was too expensive so I decided to try Isocort. I've been taking it for about a month, 5 pills a day (2-2-1). I thought it was helping ever so slightly -- I seemed to have a bit more stamina and a little less fogginess -- but the last couple of days I feel like I've been reacting really badly to it. My heart is racy and I feel like my blood pressure is up or something -- like I feel angry although I'm not actually angry, it's just my body, if that makes sense??? And when it wears off I get a horrible headache. So IDK what to do now, stop taking the Isocort? Take more of it? Stop everything, including the useless thyroid pills??? I'm so frustrated!!!!!!!!! It was the one thing that was ever-so-slightly helping. I'm so depressed now.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 3 Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM

looks like this post is a little older ~ but I am having the SAME problem & I don't know what to do. I've been taking dessicated thyroid for about 6 months & it has helped a lot, but I was still tired enough that I would feel overwhelmed/teary some days taking care of our 3 small kids. So I took Dr. Wilson's adrenal supplements for 2 months. Still tired, even with good diet, etc. So, found a naturopath ~ she gave me Isocort -- And my energy definitely rebounded significantly. Not as overwhelmed at all. Doing the dishes doesn't make me want to sob and give up on life... you know. BUT my relatively stable internal state of bland peaceful calmness turned into a bit of a Pissed Off state. Small things like my ability to feel love turned into a charged angry-ish state. Stopped the Isocort after a few days and I returned to a loving internal state. less energy, but more than before Isocort. Also I was getting headaches (which i never have), rapid heart beat, and a jittery core & hands. my libido improved some .. But nowadays I try not to take it because with the increase in energy comes headaches and anger. HELP. I hate feeling angry. It steals my "healthy" loving psyche/personality greensad.gif Damn adrenals. I am positive that our mental/emotion health is unquestionably connected to out nuero-endocrine system (limbic, parasympathetic, thyroid, adrenal) and digestion. So, did you find an alternative to Isocort? Did taking more help? I take a total of one tab a day. some days. I've taken as much as two tabs - but that made my heart beat race.
#3 of 3 Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to MDC!

I stopped both the thyroid meds and the Isocort. After I stopped, my mood improved significantly. My energy level was (and still is) very low... so I have not yet found something that helps with that, but I did come to the conclusion that mental health & inner peace were more important to me than energy... Dishes don't get done though. greensad.gif I just went through another round of tests with a new doctor so I'll update if anything helpful comes of it. Good luck. hug.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page