Alternative to petroleum jelly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's my deal....about two months ago my nose started spontaneously bleeding on the left side. I've never suffered from nosebleeds (I'm 40yo). It's been happening about twice a week, and a few times it's taken over 30 minutes to stop.

This began in August when it's humid out, so I didn't think nasal dryness was a factor, but I bought some saline spray and tried to be better about taking my multi-vitamins every day. It hasn't helped. This morning I had a 45 minute episode and decided to call for a same-day appointment at my doctor's office.

My doctor said she can easily see a superficial blood vessel with a hematoma on it. She ordered some bloodwork and told me that I should use a humidifier and coat the inside of my nostril with petroleum jelly to protect it while it heals. Any ideas for something other than petroleum jelly that would "stick" as well? I'm not a die-hard anti-petrolatum person, but I try to avoid it if possible.

#2 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM

There was a recent thread where castor oil was suggested. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1329051/need-ideas-for-nosebleed-prevention

It really worked!

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#3 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
2xy

Thanks for the link! I never gave arnica a thought, either. I'll be shopping tomorrow, I guess....I don't have either of those things in the house.

#4 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 PM

For any kind of irritation coconut oil is the first thing I grab for.  We use it for pretty much everything around here. The kids think it is some kind of magic potion. 

#5 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
2xy

I use coconut oil for lots of things, too....I just don't think it would be good inside the nose. I imagine it would get runny and drip out. Of course, castor oil might be similar, but I haven't ever used castor oil for anything so I'm not sure of it's consistency.

#6 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Just use a tiny, tiny, bit.  If it is solid just rub your finger on it till your finger/Qtip is a little oily, or if it is melted then just dip your finger/Qtip in just a dab and just dab it in there.  Bad description, but just like oiling a pan before baking. 

2xy likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I use coconut oil for lots of things, too....I just don't think it would be good inside the nose. I imagine it would get runny and drip out. Of course, castor oil might be similar, but I haven't ever used castor oil for anything so I'm not sure of it's consistency.

Hi, it's the castor oil user from the other thread! Castor oil is very very thick.We did try coconut oil when we had bloody noses, and didn't find it as effective as castor oil. That was just our experience, though. Good luck!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page