Mothering Forum banner

Alternative to petroleum jelly?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mbravebird 
#1 ·
Here's my deal....about two months ago my nose started spontaneously bleeding on the left side. I've never suffered from nosebleeds (I'm 40yo). It's been happening about twice a week, and a few times it's taken over 30 minutes to stop.

This began in August when it's humid out, so I didn't think nasal dryness was a factor, but I bought some saline spray and tried to be better about taking my multi-vitamins every day. It hasn't helped. This morning I had a 45 minute episode and decided to call for a same-day appointment at my doctor's office.

My doctor said she can easily see a superficial blood vessel with a hematoma on it. She ordered some bloodwork and told me that I should use a humidifier and coat the inside of my nostril with petroleum jelly to protect it while it heals. Any ideas for something other than petroleum jelly that would "stick" as well? I'm not a die-hard anti-petrolatum person, but I try to avoid it if possible.

#5 ·
I use coconut oil for lots of things, too....I just don't think it would be good inside the nose. I imagine it would get runny and drip out. Of course, castor oil might be similar, but I haven't ever used castor oil for anything so I'm not sure of it's consistency.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I use coconut oil for lots of things, too....I just don't think it would be good inside the nose. I imagine it would get runny and drip out. Of course, castor oil might be similar, but I haven't ever used castor oil for anything so I'm not sure of it's consistency.
Hi, it's the castor oil user from the other thread! Castor oil is very very thick.We did try coconut oil when we had bloody noses, and didn't find it as effective as castor oil. That was just our experience, though. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.