Periodic fevers - where should I start - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Periodic fevers - where should I start
SheSpeeds's Avatar SheSpeeds 07:13 PM 10-09-2011

My 4.5 year old son has had frequent fevers.  After the last one, I recalled as many as I could, put them on a calendar, noted a pattern and predicted today's fever 3 weeks ago.  No other symptoms.  He sleeps when he has the fever, usually it's 100* - 101*.  If he actually gets sick with something, his fever spikes to 104.7*  Best I can tell this is something called Periodic Fever Syndrome. 

Who has experince with this and has advice on where I should start searching?

Sounds to me like an issue with his immune system reacting.  I feel like I should start with some allergy tests, see if there's any sensitivities that might be sapping some of his immune strength.  He's been checked recently for mono.

Thoughts?

annie2186's Avatar annie2186 09:20 PM 10-10-2011

I've heard of fevers with no other symptoms being a "leaky gut" or something. I *barely* started looking into it when I had an upset stomach for about a week and was starting to worry it was permanent (I have always had a weak stomach/IBS issues).

Anyways - maybe do a search here in mothering for a "healing the gut" tribe or something like that. It is where I heard of it - maybe it might give you some idea's?

ma2two's Avatar ma2two 10:05 PM 10-10-2011

Sounds to me like an ongoing infection, such as Lyme or babesia. Many people are infected, but those with symptoms are the ones with weaker immune systems. So I would go about strengthening his immune system, focusing on the gut, with large amounts of probiotics at the core of the treatment, such as 450 billion per day (VSL#3). This is a long term treatment, but with an end, perhaps in about a year.

SheSpeeds's Avatar SheSpeeds 06:33 AM 10-11-2011

Thank you for your replies.  You both responded similarly to what I have in my mind.  We got some blood work done yesteday, one of which includes an IgG.  Which, a conventional MD requested before I had the chance to ask.  I just had my own IgG done (needs to be redone) so perhaps the two of us can heal our guts togehter.  I am soooo glad that we do not vaccinate, I have a little more rest in my mind that it's less likely to be metal toxicity.  Doesn't mean it's not...just that I feel our risk is lower than had he been vaccinated.

Up