Hypothyroid at 120 lbs???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had been told a month ago that my tsh was just a little above normal and that I was hypo and needed medication. Now I have been dealing with thyroid problems for 2 yrs now I also have hashis. I dont understand how I can be so skinny trying to gain some weight eating all the time and I am being told I am Hypothyroid I am really frustrated and wanna know if there are more ppl with a similar issue. I can not find a single source of info about someone being too skinny and having hypo. I am also BF but have a low supply since a horrible reaction i had on the minipill

#2 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

I was dx with Hashi's at 115lbs.  I had a small goiter (only a doctor would notice) and thyroid antibodies but my TSH was normal.  My doc put me on a maintenance dose of levothyroxine (25 mcg).  This reduced the size of my thyroid to normal.  I sort of wondered if I really needed to take the medicine and let my prescription run out several years later after my daughter was born.  I was just busy and never got back to the doctor.  About six months later, I was literally going crazy, mentally shutting down.  I went back to the doc and he could see my goiter across the room and my TSH was over 70.  It took me a year to get straightened out - so even if you don't have all the "classic" symptoms, I highly recommend keeping up with the blood tests and taking hormone if you need it!  It may just be that you caught it very early.

#3 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have an appt for next week i would rather wait and see what this next blood test says, in the meantime i need to figure out what to do with my ferocious appetite.

#4 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

You could have hashi/graves, where you flip back and forth between hyper and hypothyroid. 

#5 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM

You can be thin and still be hypothyroid. And being hypothyroid can affect your milk supply. (And cause problems if you are pregnant.)

My sister was very hypothyroid, but it took a long time for her doctor to check, since she didn't LOOK hypothyroid. I was diagnosed at about 25, back when I was still skinny.

Please follow up with your blood tests and doctor visits, and medication if it is indicated.

#6 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM

carrying extra weight is a common presentation of hypothryoidism, but not the only one.

#7 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM

My sister was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and has never weighed more than 110 lbs.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#8 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

I def. do know I have hashis! i found that out in 2009 but prepregnancy I had worked it out to normal somehow,with breastfeeding i try to be careful with what i take, when I take my naturethroid I get emotional and some hyper syptoms

#9 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

my milk supply has also gone up since some issues i had after a BC, My milk supply got better the first 3 days of my monthly cycle this past month I also felt a lil better so i dont get that I am wondering if this has to do with being overlyt sensitive to the low estrogen effect of BF

#10 of 14 Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at about 105lbs (underweight for my height)- before pregnancy I was about 120lbs, a more normal weight for my height. Mine is autoimmune as well and runs in my family - neither my mother nor I are large people, and although both of us have hypothyroidism it has never presented as weight gain.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 14 Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to gain some weight back!!! i currently weigh 118 and i am breast feeding I do not count calories but I do eat a good bit im guessing at least 3000 calories sometimes more. my last blood test where my tsh was 5.6 and my free t4 was 1.4 is what had the doctor put me back on naturethroid but it makes me feel worse. anyone have experience with reading these numbers??

#12 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Ask about getting checked for Celiac disease. (my sister is hypothyroid and has celiac, but does not have weight issues Her celiac issues were initially caught becuase of malabsorbtion of her thyroid meds) I am build differently and did lose a TON of weight breast feeding. (I am also gluten intolerant, and figured that out after no other conclusion could explain my chronic fatigue, but don't have any current thyroid issues) Get as many fats as you can, butter and oil everything, whole milk, make nut butter power/lara bars for snacks, ice cream, etc. Eat fat at every meal AND snack. Drizzle whole fat yogurt or cream of coconut on a fruit salad or make a fruit dip, nut butter on your apples or celery or toast, top your ice cream with nuts, take omega/fish oil supplement etc

#13 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input flightgoddess! I do eat GF diet as a choice prepregnancy with all my thyroid issues prior too! I am gonna try adding lots more fats to my diet I did notice after drinking whole milk that it seemed i had a lil better supply and I normally do not drink milk. I just want to know if you decided to try a gluten free diet and felt  better or if you got tested as well?I really like the idea of ice cream! The fish oil thing is one problem for me I was taking nordic naturals and I was also experiencing lots of joint pain, I did research and found they have small traces of iodine in the supplement which I completely avoid iodine when I can it messes with my thyroid. I noticed after not taking the fish oils my joint pain was lessened to barely there.

#14 of 14 Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

okay again thank you everyone! today I finally got a call from the doctors with my bloodwork! quest screwed up so it took an extra 2 week sso I truly do not trust these results!!! they said my tsh was 15.3 the last time my tsh was that high was when I took birth control ortho tricyclen or how ever that crap is spelled. i am so confused because half the time I feel like i am in menopause anymore and im only 25!!!! I failed to ask what my t4 was so I am gonna have to go pick up a copy of the results for my personal keeping.I just wanna gain weight and feel like me whoever that is at this point!! BTW naturetrhroid is my choice of med but it makes me evern skinnier when i am on it sometimes I feel hyper and I get a horrible pain in my neck. Im nervous about even daring to take synthetic again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page