Chiropractor as an alternative or just supplemental? Where to start? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Chiropractor as an alternative or just supplemental? Where to start?
mommymidwife2b's Avatar mommymidwife2b 08:01 PM 10-24-2011

I want to get my family into chiropractic care. I don't know much about it though, like how to start seeing one. Should I just take my kids to the chiropractor or have a pedi to? We don't have any homeopathic pediatricians near us or else I would go that route. I am extremely interest in chiropractic care but I have no idea where to start.

Imakcerka 08:08 PM 10-24-2011

Is there something wrong with the natural alignment in your childrens backs?  My mother put me in chiropractic care at 12 due to my back issues but it actually made things worse.  Kids don't normally go to a chiropractor so they're not exactly great at handling kids.  And they can actually do more damage than good.  It's very hard to find a good chiropractor.  I finally found one but it took years and he's only been successful at keeping my migraines at bay.  The rest is just something I have to deal with.

mommymidwife2b's Avatar mommymidwife2b 08:15 PM 10-24-2011

That is what I heard growing up, but now that I am a bit on the crunchy side I tend to heard more about chiropractic being more of a preventative thing, rather than just treating certain ailments. I heard it was good for kids..

Imakcerka 10:00 PM 10-24-2011

It might be.  It wasn't for me.  I won't do it with my kids.  DD1 has the same issues as I do and I plan to help her build a stronger core and work on ways to keep chronic pain at bay.  A lot has to do with our feet and our long torsos.  To be honest I haven't had a pain free day in so long I can't remember what it feels like to not be in pain.  I have learned ways to cope and that being a strong core.  I work on the muscles as it's very important for me and it does help with my posture which in turn helps with my spine remaining aligned.  Also there are two types of chiropractors.  I would consider looking into which kind is best for preventive measures if that's what you're hoping for.  I don't discount chiropractors at all.  Like I've said I've had luck with one and am appreciative of his work.  The other 30 I've been to... seriously 30 all over the US... not so much. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymidwife2b View Post

That is what I heard growing up, but now that I am a bit on the crunchy side I tend to heard more about chiropractic being more of a preventative thing, rather than just treating certain ailments. I heard it was good for kids..

Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 01:18 PM 10-25-2011

I don't think a chiropractor is an alternative to pediatrician.  I am firmly in the camp of them being supplemental (but necessary!)

MountainMamaGC's Avatar MountainMamaGC 08:33 PM 10-26-2011

I dont do well visits with my child, but she does see the chiropractor 2-3 times a year, and I talk to him about her overall health. I also take her to our family doctor if I have any concerns about her health. I have taken her twice to the family doctor. Once for a bladder infection and once for an earache.

Our chiro is great with children and babies.

My DD has a cold and is complaining about an earache, so I will be taking her in to the chiro tomorrow actually.

Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 05:57 AM 10-27-2011

okay.  my kids have had chiropractic care from birth.  They go about once a month-more if necessary (injury, illness etc.)  I had them each in within a few days of birth-my youngest went the day he was born. I LOVE chiropractic for kids.  I'm just saying that a chiropractor, as awesome as they are, are NOT primary care providers.  I would not treat them as such.

flightgoddess's Avatar flightgoddess 12:42 PM 11-04-2011

Definately a supplement. But sometimes you may want to see the supplement before the pedi.  I've taken my lil guy since birth too, but you have to find a chiro who is comfortable with kids and works with kids a lot. Some just don't.  I take my lil guy in after any big falls/boo-boos that involve the head and neck. (Like going backwards of the picnic bench, etc) I didn't start going until I was an adult, and the chiro definately could see neck damage/degeneration (on an xray) from what probably was plenty of falls in gymnastics and high jump in middle and high school.

When he was a babe, I also took him during his 'colicy' stage for a few weeks, and he seemed to sleep better.

Up