i think my 5 month old has whooping cough. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think my 5 month old has whooping cough. I am freaking out a bit. I don't know what to do, if I take her to the pediatrcian they will prescribe antibiotics, are there any downsides to this?  I mean I know there are but remind me again.  She is ebf.

Slightly hippie.gif mommy to 3 little girlsenergy.gifDD1   9/23/08energy.gifDD2   1/21/10energy.gifDD3   5/26/11      

belly.gif#4 guess date 4/20/13

cd.gifhomeschool.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIFh20homebirth.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.gif

mdcblog5.gif http://www.naturalbabyideas.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 AM

What makes you think it's pertussis? Croup is very common in children this age, as are a variety of other bugs that can cause coughing, sometimes pretty lousy coughing.

Most of the time I home-treat bugs, unless it lasts a while or there are other signs of something going on (fever, etc.). If your mom-o-meter is pinging to the point that you're freaking out, I'd recommend going to the doctor to get a real diagnosis for starters. If your ped's office or insurance company has a nurse line, you can call them first to confirm if you should go in.

Hope you're little one feels better soon!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I youtubed whooping cough and it sounds similar to her cough. Hers is not as severe as what those children have. The reason I am freaking out is because I know so little about it. Baby herself does not even seem really sick, just occasional coughing fits. I think if I knew more about it I would feel a lot better. Then again as you stated I could be way off the mark. I have not ruled out croup.

Slightly hippie.gif mommy to 3 little girlsenergy.gifDD1   9/23/08energy.gifDD2   1/21/10energy.gifDD3   5/26/11      

belly.gif#4 guess date 4/20/13

cd.gifhomeschool.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIFh20homebirth.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.gif

mdcblog5.gif http://www.naturalbabyideas.com

#4 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

it really could be anything..from asthma to allergies...if you live in a climate where trees are shedding leaves, dust could be a factor, or crops being harvested is another consideration. Try to keep the air moist and keep ebf!! thats the best defense against illness at this age.  I'd also try a steamy bathroom when the coughing starts and see if that helps. 

#5 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 AM

If it sounds a bit like what you heard on youtube, my advice would be get your child to a physician today.  The little bit of coughing could get a whole lot worse quickly.  Whooping cough can turn fatal.  At minimum, please at least do what a PP said and call to describe the symptoms.

I understand the reluctance to use abx, but if she has WC, she will need them.  If you go to the dr. and that is not what she has, nothing lost (except a co-pay or whatever you have to do).

Since I am not a medical professional, I wouldn't be able to rule/rule out croup vs. WC.  You may have a lot more knowledge in this area than I.

Good luck and hope you see a healthier, more comfortable child soon.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#6 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If it is whooping cough, and depending on how long she has had it, antibiotics may not help her at all (and may hurt her by killing beneficial bacteria in her gut). The pertussis toxin which is produced by the bacteria, and the damaged cilia, are what cause the cough. By the time a person with pertussis has had a bad cough for a few weeks, the bacteria are no longer causing the problem. It is the remaining toxin and already damaged cilia that are causing the problem. Antibiotics can't kill the toxin, and can't repair the cilia. High doses of sodium ascorbate can.

I saw your question originally posted on the vaccinations board. Most mothers who don't vaccinate know about sodium ascorbate for pertussis. But everybody should know about it, since vaccinated people often get pertussis, as well.

Marnica and BeckyBird like this.
#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

If it is whooping cough, and depending on how long she has had it, antibiotics may not help her at all (and may hurt her by killing beneficial bacteria in her gut). The pertussis toxin which is produced by the bacteria, and the damaged cilia, are what cause the cough. By the time a person with pertussis has had a bad cough for a few weeks, the bacteria are no longer causing the problem. It is the remaining toxin and already damaged cilia that are causing the problem. Antibiotics can't kill the toxin, and can't repair the cilia. High doses of sodium ascorbate can.

I saw your question originally posted on the vaccinations board. Most mothers who don't vaccinate know about sodium ascorbate for pertussis. But everybody should know about it, since vaccinated people often get pertussis, as well.

This. OP, how are things?

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page