Help! Tick Bite! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I found a tick sticking out of my belly this evening...I'm kind of freaking out.  I was able to get the body off, but the head is still stuck.  It's awful! I called my doc about it, and they are going to have me come in first thing in the morning and probably give me precautionary antibiotic...what should I know??? I am breastfeeding still and my son definitely has GI issues.  I'm really scared of making his issues worse, but at the same time I have had Lyme Disease before, and am petrified of getting it again.  What is okay to take? Should I take a precautionary dose, or is that dangerous.  I am normally in the camp of taking antibiotics only when NEEDed, but this scares me.  Help please!!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What kind of tick was it? Was it a deer tick or a dog tick? Deer ticks are really tiny, the size of a pin head. A dog tick is larger. If it was a dog tick, there really isn't a reason to take antibiotics. You could use topical antibiotics if you're concerned about the bite getting infected.

Personally, if I was pregnant and it was a deer tick, I still don't think I'd take the antibiotics unless I had a bullseye rash, other symptoms, or tested positive for Lyme. That being said, Lyme's can be awful, so I could certainly see why you might choose to go for antibiotics just in case.

#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

It looked like a deer tick to me - it was larger than I would have expected, but I know the adults can get "big".  Ugh, I'm so distraught.  The "logical" side of me thinks that the chances of getting Lyme's is pretty small.  Even if it was a deer tick I probably found it early enough where I wouldn't be infected.  DS already has dairy and soy, and possibly wheat issues, and I JUST was able to clear up his eczema.  He is also due for a shot, and it is killing me thinking about how bad the antibiotics could effect him.....and the potential for thrush.

BUT I have had Lyme's Disease before.  I know how awful it is, I know that I had a relatively easy experience (only one day in the hospital with IV antibiotics, a full 4-5 weeks of antibiotics, and then a thrush infection....but then everything was fine).  I also know people where it has not been that easy...and it petrifies me.  I was lucky to get the rash last time, so it easy to figure out what the problem was...but what if I caught Lyme now, and didn't get a rash?  The early symptoms are really non specific, and if I waited for definite symptoms, it may be too late to treat it easily. 

What it comes down to is that I am really scared. 

Well, off I go to the doc.  Hopefully she will help ease my fears. guilty.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

It looked like a deer tick to me - it was larger than I would have expected, but I know the adults can get "big".  Ugh, I'm so distraught.  The "logical" side of me thinks that the chances of getting Lyme's is pretty small.  Even if it was a deer tick I probably found it early enough where I wouldn't be infected.  DS already has dairy and soy, and possibly wheat issues, and I JUST was able to clear up his eczema.  He is also due for a shot, and it is killing me thinking about how bad the antibiotics could effect him.....and the potential for thrush.
BUT I have had Lyme's Disease before.  I know how awful it is, I know that I had a relatively easy experience (only one day in the hospital with IV antibiotics, a full 4-5 weeks of antibiotics, and then a thrush infection....but then everything was fine).  I also know people where it has not been that easy...and it petrifies me.  I was lucky to get the rash last time, so it easy to figure out what the problem was...but what if I caught Lyme now, and didn't get a rash?  The early symptoms are really non specific, and if I waited for definite symptoms, it may be too late to treat it easily. 
What it comes down to is that I am really scared. 
Well, off I go to the doc.  Hopefully she will help ease my fears. guilty.gif

hug.gif Good luck! I've seen some nasty Lyme's issues too, and they I've had probably 100s of deers ticks (lots of outdoor time in high tick areas since I was little), and so far haven't gotten it. I do get worried too though everytime I get one, and especially when the kids get one! I'm sure that if you need to be on antibiotics, they'll put you on something that's safe for your pregnancy. Just make sure you take a high dose probiotic, 2 hours outside the antibiotics if you go that route. hug.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it looks like the only antibiotics that are supposed to work prophylactically are contraindicated while BFing, so we are playing the "wait and see game".  So I will be pumping up the immune system and on the look out for symptoms.  Hopefully this turns out to be just a gross tick bite.  Thank you so much for responding!!!

#6 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Was the tick engorged?  If it wasn't, then it probably was not on you for the "magic" 24 hour time period.  Ticks freak me out!

#7 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 PM

me too. ticks scare the beegeezus out of me, because Lyme is so potentially, unbelievably awful. It's also so tricky to dx if the person doesn't have the classic symptoms, because not everyone gets the bullseye rash and people dont necessarily  become symptomatic immediately. some are subclinical, etc.

Ugh...I dunno. I am SO sorry you are having to deal with this. It's a tough, tough call.

#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray View Post

Was the tick engorged?  If it wasn't, then it probably was not on you for the "magic" 24 hour time period.  Ticks freak me out!

I'm pretty sure that I caught it within enough time, so I am much calmer now. And the bite is looking a million times better....phew!! I'll still be on the on the lookout for symptoms though.  Craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post

me too. ticks scare the beegeezus out of me, because Lyme is so potentially, unbelievably awful. It's also so tricky to dx if the person doesn't have the classic symptoms, because not everyone gets the bullseye rash and people dont necessarily  become symptomatic immediately. some are subclinical, etc.

Ugh...I dunno. I am SO sorry you are having to deal with this. It's a tough, tough call.

Thanks...I am going to be super careful from now on, and the bright side is that I haven't seen any marks on DS, so it's only me I am worried about - and I know what the "symptoms" can be. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page