Yeast Diaper Rash - any magic remedies out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old daughter and we've just had our 2nd bout of yeasty diaper rash pop up. The 1st was 2 months ago and, after tackling it with every natural remedy I could come up with, I caved and went the nystatin route (at the advice of her ND pediatrition). I've been taking probiotics up the wazue since pregnancy though I have yet to remember to give them to her on a regular basis. (I guess I'm not really sure how to ge them into her as we're not doing any bottles at this point?) I was using a black walnut/tea tree salve on her bum with her night time diaper but that didn't seem strong enough. Oh, and wiping her with vinegar and bathing her in baking soda. Any other ideas? I try to watch the sugars in my diet but am already eating gluten, dairy and soy free for her and find it hard to be super strict bout sugar all the time..... 

#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The California calming baby powder was absolutely amazing when ds2 was going through this. It's got tea tree, calendula, and lavendar in it. It was a miracle cure for us!

#3 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Diaper Rash & Thrush salve by Motherlove is great, too

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#4 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 PM

I was going to recommend Zeasorb powder- not sure whats in it though!  

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Mix some probiotics with breastmilk and then have your baby suck it off your finger or try to give it to her on a spoon. I can't remember the brand I used - Natrel?? Something like that.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#6 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Dry her bum with a hair dryer that has a low heat setting and give her diaper free time, like putting her down for naps on a changing pad covered with an old towel.  Change her frequently and try cloth diapers if you don't already. If you do cloth, make sure you wash the diapers in hot water and dry them on high heat to kill the yeast. If you have the yeast on your nipples then use the hair dryer for them too and wash your nursing pads and bras just like the diapers. And make sure they are cotton too. I started to get yeast on one nipple when I used some spandex bras too much.

These things won't get rid of a systemic infection, but may help you control the rash while you try the other things.

Have you asked your dr. about the candida cleanse diet? The diet and supplements helped me with chronic UTIs, but that was before baby, so you should check to see if it's safe. It also gave me way more energy and helped me to see where I go for my sugar fixes (I'm definitely a sugar addict).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page