Removing my IUD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had a generic copper IUD since the beginning of last year (2010) and I'm really sick of it and want it out.  We want to TTC now, and besides that it gives really heavy, super painful periods.  I have an appointment for mid-December, but the period from hell is due to start any time now, and I'm so ready for it to be the last period from hell that I ever have.  So, because that's the time of the month that they're easiest to remove, I want to give it a try myself.  The question is, how do I do it?  I've searched the internet and seen a lot of "mine came out on its own" and "I took mine out myself and it went fine", but no instructions on how to take it out myself.  I can feel the string, and there's enough there to pinch between my fingers.  Do I just pull slowly and see what happens?  Most of the mainstream info says something about doctors pulling them out at a certain angle, but those articles also say that no one else should ever do it ever, so I wonder if the "certain angle" bit is to scare women away from trying it at home.

So, what's the angle?  And if you removed your own, how did you do it?

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#2 of 8 Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM

I understand your desire to have it out ASAP, but that is not something I would risk. 

The options I would consider:

1) Going to a local clinic

2) Calling your doctor and being put on the cancellation list--- they should call you if you if they have a last minute appointment.

I would be very hesitant to remove it yourself *especially* given that you plan on TTC soon--- you don't want to introduce even short lived scar tissue right now.

#3 of 8 Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 AM

I wanted to make clear that I did not give a well researched opinion, simply a gut check.  I can see that for some people removing their own IUD may make sense (it is causing irritation, no access to medical care, trained midwife or OB, etc..) but the risks in your situation seem high.  Even a fairly benign result--- a simple infection--- is not not something you want to be dealing with while TTC.

#4 of 8 Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I've had an IUD removed (by a doctor) and I would highly recommended not removing an IUD on your own as there is a risk of infection and of tearing or other injury. I agree with the PP to seek out a local clinic, doctor, midwife, or nurse practitioner; if you don't want want to go to a midwife or OB, if have an internal medicine doctor or family medicine doctor, he/she may be able to do the removal.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 8 Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM

I agree with the previous posters. Please don't remove it yourself - call planned parenthood and see if they can get you in if your doctor can't. The risk of infection and injury is small but very real and if you are ttc you need to avoid potential serious health issues - especially with your reproductive organs.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 8 Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, not really sure why I'd be at a higher risk of infection or scarring if I do it myself.  For one thing, I'd be doing it in my own home around my own germs, not doctor's office germs.  For a second thing, if I'm doing it myself I'd be better able to judge by feel whether it seems like it doesn't want to come out, and stop pulling.  A doctor might feel resistance and keep tugging, even if it's causing me pain due to being enbedded, which would cause more damage.  Plus, I have easy access to surgical scrub and sterile gloves because I work in an intensive care area of a hospital, so that shoudl cut any infection risk down very low.  If having sex during af doesn't cause an infection, why would expelling an IUD while I'm already open and expelling blood put me at a higher infection risk?  If I'm overlooking something please enlighten me, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#7 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

For a second thing, if I'm doing it myself I'd be better able to judge by feel whether it seems like it doesn't want to come out, and stop pulling.  A doctor might feel resistance and keep tugging, even if it's causing me pain due to being enbedded, which would cause more damage.

Well, I have to politely disagree with you regarding this. Having worked in Ob/gyn, I have seen a couple of IUD removals that have been embedded and since you have (I assume) never removed one yourself, I don't think you would be the best judge of what a *normal* extraction would feel like - how much resistance is too much? What if you experience pain and/or excessive bleeding? As someone who is trying to conceive, I would think that having a professional remove it would be best just in case of any complications.

That's just my opinion, though. I don't go to the doctor much, but I would for this.

Best of luck!!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#8 of 8 Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 AM

I had a NP accidentally push it up inadvertently when I was about to get it removed because she had not read the note on my chart that it was there and going to be removed. It took a very good OB to get it out w/o going to the hospital. However, I would still suggest going with going in versus doing it yourself. There is a lot that can go wrong when trying to remove it and you don't want to chance it. An office who is used to doing it can usually take it out quickly, easily and safely w/o too much risk for germs etc. If you feel pain when trying to remove it yourself, you may have already damaged something. Personally mine was nearly painless even though it had migrated pretty far up.

The reason some people's fall out is because of the person's body or how it was placed, not that it is easy to remove. Think about how it looks - see an image. It is similar to those toggle bolts (alligator clips?) you put in drywall to hold in screws - it is meant to stay in until you want it removed and then there is a way to do it so you don't damage the surrounding tissue. Do it incorrectly and you can cause quite a bit of harm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page