Keratosis Pilaris - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD3 (19 months) was recently diagnosed with keratosis pilaris.  The Dr. was very unhelpful with suggestions for treating it, except to suggest that consistent, adequate moisturizing would help to keep DD's skin from getting too dry and itchy.  The Dr. said she could prescribe a cream (steroidal?) to help, but didn't like doing that for little ones except in extreme situations.  I asked her directly if there is anything I can do to help heal it, and she was adamant that it was not curable.  She said that it would not likely get worse, and that it would likely clear up when DD gets close to puberty and her skin begins to produce more oils.  

So, upon reflection, it seems counter-intuitive to me that this is not curable.  Why isn't there something that can be done to at least reduce the redness and bumps?  And, it doesn't seem logical to me that it will just go away on its own as DD moves into adolescence.  I have the same thing (didn't know that's what it was called, but I've had it for years).  I started getting it *when* I went through puberty.  

What is the scoop on this?  I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc. with KP.  Give me the good, bad, and the ugly.  

#2 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 AM

I find that eliminating dairy almost completely clears it up for me. Keeping up with moisturizing, esp in winter helps me a lot, but never heals it. I believe KP is considered a form of eczema. There are several helpful websites, keratosispilaris.org is one I find lots of info.

My 4 yo is showing an increase in KP since increasing dairy again. So, we are going to try eliminating for good.

Hope this helps a bit.

#3 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

DD has been almost completely dairy-free since birth (well, one month old).  She was extremely sensitive to dairy very early on (not allergic, just didn't seem to tolerate it well.  Lots of spit-up, fussy, poor sleep, etc., all of which improved dramatically when I removed dairy from my diet.)  She tolerates cultured raw milk kefir and cream fairly well, raw butter, and that's about the extent of her dairy consumption.  I actually haven't seen any improvement when I dramatically reduce her dairy, or any worsening when I increase it.  I'm working on removing gluten to see if that makes a difference.  Agh.  I wonder if I should just completely remove all traces of dairy and gluten from her diet, which would really be hard (I have 4 older children, and deal with varying degrees of pickiness with all of them).  Thanks for the input.

#4 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 PM

I've had it since puberty. For me, it works pretty well to exfoliate regularly and use a lactic acid cream. For adults, they can prescribe Retin-A at a low strength along with Amlactin (OTC lactic acid cream). Using a good, thick moisturizer should help. I use a cream I make from olive oil and beeswax for my daughter when her skin is dry.
funkymamajoy likes this.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM

My older dd (5) has had it since she was 2? It doesn't bother her, but I notice it and keep an eye on it. I think it is food related although I have never tried to figure it out at this point. Soy or corn maybe. Pedi said to exfoliate and moisturize and that was pretty much it. I think it is hereditary. 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#6 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 PM

My son's went away when he started taking CLO daily.  When he stops the CLO, it comes back.  We also only use CA Baby Sensitive wash on him even though he is now 7.  We've tried a few different products and they have irritated his skin.

Regarding dairy...My son eats dairy.  We're L/O veg (adding the CLO was a difficult decision and is the one variance from his vegetarian diet.  We tried it to help with another health issue and a 'side-effect' was that it also helped the KP.)

#7 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

My son's went away when he started taking CLO daily.  When he stops the CLO, it comes back.  We also only use CA Baby Sensitive wash on him even though he is now 7.  We've tried a few different products and they have irritated his skin.

Regarding dairy...My son eats dairy.  We're L/O veg (adding the CLO was a difficult decision and is the one variance from his vegetarian diet.  We tried it to help with another health issue and a 'side-effect' was that it also helped the KP.)

I forgot about that, but CLO helps a LOT with our skin. It clears up dry skin and flaking pretty well.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting about the CLO.  Is it just regular CLO, or is it fermented?  I was wanting to get some for other reasons, it would be interesting to see if it made any difference in the KP.  I've been trying to make a bigger effort to slather her with oils every day.  

#9 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Interesting about the CLO.  Is it just regular CLO, or is it fermented? 

My son takes regular CLO from Nordic Naturals.

#10 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

We take Carlson, which is regular CLO. Fermented should have the same skin benefits, though.

#11 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Dd has been on cod liver oil since she was 18 months. 1 teaspoon a day and she still has it. 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#12 of 25 Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

THanks!

#13 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM

I have had KP since early adolescence and so does DS2.  I have been to a couple of dermatologists over the years and consulted plenty of general practitioners.  I have been on probably 10-12 meds over the years.  In addition, I've tried exfoliation, sunlight, lots of moisturization, and those kinds of things.  Some have helped a little bit, but that's the best I have to say...nothing has made a big enough difference that I feel comfortable in a tank top (I'm in my 40s, btw).  It sucks.  My mom and one of my siblings also had it.  There is a pretty strong hereditary component.

I only had it on my upper arms until I hit 40 and after DS2 was born.  I now have it on my hips and thighs.  It makes me really self-conscious to be touched or for my husband to see me naked greensad.gif

DS2 is 20 months old.  I have used a little bit of Euceryn (sp.) lotion and, while that calms it a bit, it's here to stay, I'm afraid.

It is super common...something like 30% of people have it to some extend.  Like other medical conditions, there is a range of severity.  Mine's pretty kickin,' I must say.  It bothers me every single day.

I am sorry to not be able to give you better news.  I re-visit the med route every few years because I am hoping for some miracle cure.  I actually did a thread on MDC on this exact topic sometime within the past year.

I kiss my toddler all over his KP.  I don't want him to feel as awful about it as I have for the past three decades.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#14 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I have had KP since early adolescence and so does DS2.  I have been to a couple of dermatologists over the years and consulted plenty of general practitioners.  I have been on probably 10-12 meds over the years.  In addition, I've tried exfoliation, sunlight, lots of moisturization, and those kinds of things.  Some have helped a little bit, but that's the best I have to say...nothing has made a big enough difference that I feel comfortable in a tank top (I'm in my 40s, btw).  It sucks.  My mom and one of my siblings also had it.  There is a pretty strong hereditary component.

I only had it on my upper arms until I hit 40 and after DS2 was born.  I now have it on my hips and thighs.  It makes me really self-conscious to be touched or for my husband to see me naked greensad.gif

DS2 is 20 months old.  I have used a little bit of Euceryn (sp.) lotion and, while that calms it a bit, it's here to stay, I'm afraid.

It is super common...something like 30% of people have it to some extend.  Like other medical conditions, there is a range of severity.  Mine's pretty kickin,' I must say.  It bothers me every single day.

I am sorry to not be able to give you better news.  I re-visit the med route every few years because I am hoping for some miracle cure.  I actually did a thread on MDC on this exact topic sometime within the past year.

I kiss my toddler all over his KP.  I don't want him to feel as awful about it as I have for the past three decades.

I still use lotion and CLO does help, but the meds are just too much for me. I used them to clear up my skin for my wedding, and then decided it was too much work. Three creams several times a day is a lot to manage, especially when they couldn't be applied at the same time. It makes me self-conscious, too. I don't like getting comments from well-meaning people thinking I have horrible rash, so I wear t-shirts more than tanks out in public during the summer. I also have had it spread after having DD. It started just on my upper arms. Now I get it on my forearms, belly, legs, and breasts. It isn't bright red like on my arms, but still bothers me. greensad.gif

#15 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM

I typed KP into MDC's search engine and found a thread from a mom who said her KP and her child's was cleared with flax seed oil, taken orally.  What do you think?  I don't want to get my hopes up, plus that stuff is expensive!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#16 of 25 Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to try doing an Omega-3 oil, maybe like Udo's oil blend or something, both for myself and for DD. I'm waiting for some $$ so I can buy some supplements.

#17 of 25 Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM

It is worth a shot. Moisturizing the skin helps, and preventing dry skin with the omega 3's should help as well. I notice a definite difference in how dry my skin (and DH and DD's skin) gets if we stop cod liver oil.

#18 of 25 Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM

DS (15 months) had KP on his calves and a little on his upper arms. We tried Amlactin lotion, it didn't do much. We are now apply Urea lotion 2x daily and it made a difference, although it is not gone.

Like others said, no cure and it seems hereditary. DH never realized he had it until DS was diagnosed. DH is slight on and only on his upper arms.

If does seem common when you start asking about it. I had never heard of KP, but after DS was diagnosed I posted on my FB about it. Two friends (out of 300) replied they had it too.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#19 of 25 Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM

I had this and my son had this.  Flax oil took care of my son's and my kp problem.  I take about 2-3 TBS/day and my 10y/o son about a TBS.  Also has the lovely side effect of making my skin nice and soft.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#20 of 25 Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Those of you with KP and/or school aged children, have you or you kids ever been picked on because of the KP?

I worry when DS gets older if it may (hopefully not) be an issue.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#21 of 25 Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM

No, I was never picked on because of it. I just get people asking if I know I have a rash on my arms.

#22 of 25 Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM

I hope you all get notified of this post, because an ayurvedic dr. recommended the herb manjistha, which I can only find online at an ayurveda site, for MY KP, andit worked really well- it's a mild skin detoxifier but taken by mouth. Am trying to add it to my 18 mo old's oats in the am, we'll see if that helps him.

#23 of 25 Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM

I hope you all get notified of this post, because an ayurvedic dr. recommended the herb manjistha, which I can only find online at an ayurveda site, for MY KP, andit worked really well- it's a mild skin detoxifier but taken by mouth. Am trying to add it to my 18 mo old's oats in the am, we'll see if that helps him.

#24 of 25 Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM

I hope you all get notified of this post, because an ayurvedic dr. recommended the herb manjistha, which I can only find online at an ayurveda site, for MY KP, and it worked really well- it's a mild skin detoxifier but taken by mouth. Am trying to add it to my 18 mo old's oats in the am, we'll see if that helps him.

#25 of 25 Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am not familiar with that.  I will definitely look in it.  DD is now nearly 2, and she still has KP, in spite of increasing the fat in her diet and giving her gobs of flax oil.  It is obvious that sometimes it bothers her, but she loves to have my oil blend rubbed into her skin.  She is not gluten-free at the moment, although we did a 3 month trial last fall with no positive results.  She, by choice, doesn't eat much in the way of grains. She doesn't really like bread, will eat only minimal white (not brown) rice, occasional small amounts of quinoa or millet.  She really doesn't eat much oatmeal.  I am at a loss dietarily speaking.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page