Can a doctor do anything about grassy poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 month old has had diarrhea for 3 weeks. Is that typical? She is exclusively breastfed; no solids yet, but has been taking probiotics for the past week. It is much MUCH better than it was and she never had a fever, just lots and LOTS of poop.

Long story short, now that only about 1/2 her diapers are poopy, they are looking a lot like light green grass and today we also had some pink streaking. We have a well visit scheduled for next week, but I called today after the pink streaks and they said we should come in this week since it's a long weekend. I guess my concerns are:

1. Is he going to try and put her on antibiotics???

2. 2 doctor visits in 2 weeks seem like a lot of unnecessary exposure to sickness

3. They still want us to come in next week for the well visit...even though we're not vaccinating

4. Is there a point to going in? Could this be serious?

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#2 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM

I will do my best to settle your nerves.  The only thing that would be of concern to me are the pink streaks.  Is that blood?  If not then I wouldn't worry at all. 

The one thing that I do know for sure is that your babies digestive tract is not fully developed at the time of birth.  There are special 'things' in your breast milk to help your baby's GI tract stay in balance and helps it to mature.  It sounds like (because the proibotic worked) that your babies GI tract needed a 'boost' and is now more on track. 

I would rule out serious problems (a torn or stressed intestine?) by getting the stool checked and maybe the doctor will do some kind of physical exam or probe?.  But aside from that I WOULD NOT put my baby on antibiotics 'just in case'.  I consider fever the sign of infection and if you baby doesn't get ubber fusy or run a fever and the stool test is normal than I would avoid any medications of any kind. 

You however can take vitamins, lots of probiotics, garlic and echinacea to just keep strong and vital.  Your breast milk is by far the best thing for the baby.   There will be noticable improvement in you babies ability to digest food over the coarse of the first three months and then you should see significant improvement.  You can also do an elimination diet to see if your baby is reacting to wheat or gluten or diary.

Good Luck.

not all who wander are lost
#3 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM

I second the vote for an elimination diet for you.  "Grassy" is not one i have ever heard before - typically a baby that is having mucousy green poops could be having a reaction to dairy.  I would actually cross post in the breastfeeding forum and call your local LLL leader - maybe go to a meeting and see if there are some moms who have BTDT.  Pediatricians tend not to fool around with elimination diets in the mother for too long and simply recommend formula  - i think you will have to do your own research on this one!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 4 Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I'll try calling my LLL leader. I tried block feeding last night and I think that may have helped. She's only had one poop today and it was totally normal. It's just weird that she was fine for 4 months before all this started. I cancelled the doctor apt. We'll see him next week for the well visit. I haven't seen any more of the pink streaking, so I'm thinking it's okay. Obviously if it happens again or she has any other symptoms we'll get her checked out.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page