Is this an allergy?? (pictures included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted in LWAB, but realized that this forum might be more appropriate:

DD2 has a rash on her face. I think its eczema. DD1 had something similar when she was older (about 5 months). This started early w/ DD2, at about 3 weeks old. I took out dairy and cleared up almost completely (80-90% better) within 4 or 5 days.

well, 9 days ago we went to a wedding and I ate the food there (including the most incredible cake I ever had!). Her face was still ok so I thought dairy would be ok. I had some the next couple days and then it started appearing again and yesterday it looked like it totally erupted again and I've been dairy free for about 6 days.  I'm not sure if its itchy. she rubs her face against my shoulders when i hold her sometimes, but not always.

here are my theories:

1) went to a party yesterday and ate the food. tho i was very careful not to have dairy (mostly ate chips n salsa, fruit, crackers w/ deli meat, dessert w/no dairy... at least i think. i asked for all the ingredients that went in it)

2) other people have been holding her so maybe their clothes? (although if that was the case i think it would've gone away by now. that was last night)

3) i'm not getting enough water, so the dairy isnt flushing outta my system as quickly as it did the last time and my milk is more "concentrated" with it? maybe i'm really reaching for this one??

any ideas?

2011-11-21_11-37-39_505.jpgmail.jpg

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hug2.gif

NAK.... so sorry so short...  

Gluten.  Be back in the AM to chat more.

'09   
#3 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM

What about soy? they are very similar as far as allergies go (I think something about the protein strands being very similar) Are you eating more Soy? 

Both my boys are allergic to dairy, soy and wheat. Only DS2 gets the rash just like that. DS1 would just vomit (now that he's older reactions have changed)

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#4 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

this is all very possible. her cheeks actually look a little better today, i'll post a picture later.

i'm just wondering how to eliminate and test. i've been off dairy for nearly a week. how long will it take to see improvement and when do i say to myself "this isnt working."  and move on to eliminating the next thing.

if i eliminate dairy than should i also do soy as well at the same time? or try one thing at a time? same with gluten. 

do i need to eliminate all these things at the same time. i'd rather do it one by one so as not to drive myself crazy figuring out what to eat all the time by taking out most of what i am used to. 

thanksgiving is coming up and i'm going to try to stick with dairy soy and gluten free as possible, but i feel like after the holiday i'm going to be starting all over again.. quite frustrating =( i remember doing this w/dd1 and taking EVERYTHING out and reintroducing one at a time. we figured it was egg. i dont want to go the total elimination route tho. it kinda sucked.. eek!

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

It takes I believe six week for dairy to be totally out of your system. I would start with dairy and soy together, then if needed add gluten. Total elimination sucks. Though I'd also use your dd1 as a guide to what this one may be allergic to.

Good luck!

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#6 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

It takes I believe six week for dairy to be totally out of your system. I would start with dairy and soy together, then if needed add gluten. Total elimination sucks. Though I'd also use your dd1 as a guide to what this one may be allergic to.

Good luck!

This. 

I failed to mention soy.  Just like gluten, it is in everything... urgh.  Good luck in your efforts.

'09   
#7 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

urgh!! 

so does gluten leave the system faster than dairy? should i switch gears after 6 weeks of no dairy or should i just try eliminating gluten (would it produce results faster??) 

#8 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post

urgh!! 

so does gluten leave the system faster than dairy? should i switch gears after 6 weeks of no dairy or should i just try eliminating gluten (would it produce results faster??) 

Not sure about faster results...But I will say it is much easier to eliminate dairy and soy than gluten on your own body. When you stop eating gluten it can take two weeks of craving insanely than better in 4-6 weeks. But that's based on people themselves who are allergic. I remember feeling like I was starving while crying and eating (gluten free) oatmeal while my stomach hurt because I'd eaten too much. But that got better, to speed up the 'detox of sorts' drink water with lemon in it.

After 6 weeks I would add gluten free if you don't see a change. Then after 12 (from start 6 weeks of gluten free) If you want I'd do a trial of added one back in a small dose (like 1/2 glass of milk) and see if there is an effect. Then go from there.

Oh and basically when you eliminate soy just expect to make most everything from scratch, soy is in almost everything processed.

#9 of 11 Old 11-24-2011, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Another question I have is can it get worse before it gets better (symptomatically speaking, on DDs face) her cheeks were SUPER red this evening even spreadingsay a bitfew to herthe chin and foreheadthe and nothing particulalrly different about what I was eating today. In fact I was staying away from soy and gluten as well (just starting today, anyways)

Also, does temperature affect it too?

Another thhing i sometimes notice is when she woke up this morning, her cheeks actually looked much better. Does that seem odd to anyone??

#10 of 11 Old 11-24-2011, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry! That jumbled up line actually says that the reddness was even spreading a bit to her forehead and chin. And I was trying to type that it was hot in the house. HTH

#11 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Well I think I understand LOL

Yes, it can continue to seem worse as its still in your system and needs to work its way out of hers.

Yes, heat can make it seem worse because its a rash and heats just not good, but I don't think it actually gets worse, just looks redder.

and Yes, after sleeping if she hadn't been sleep snacking it could be better because her system is working the stuff out.

and overall YES its super weird and frustrating and annoyinglol.gif Sometimes I wish my boys could have been more like there one cousin who never had any allergy type stuffs...sigh

MDC is so awesome I wish I'd had this place for questions when I went through this with ds1

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page