HELP! Splinters!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2002, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds (22 mos) has several deep splinters in his hand. We can't get them out. He is in pain! What to do????
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2002, 06:34 PM

Oh, dear - I hate splinters. I had one under my finger nail just the other day (dh had to get it out).

What have you tried? As horrible as this is, one of you will probably have to hold ds while the other extracts the splinter - it's amazing how you suddenly feel fine (after being in loads of pain) once the splinter is gone.

When I've gotten splinters out, I've always pushed up under the splinter - so you are pushing it out of the hand. And I always have a pair of very fine tweezers on hand so that as SOON as possible, you can pull with the tweezers (which doesn't hurt, as opposed to pushing the splinter up, which KILLS).

If you can't do it, I would imagine you'll need to take him to see a nurse and let them get the splinter out.

I'm so sorry for your little one (and for you, having to watch him suffer/cause more temporary suffering).

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know...will be thinking about you and ds...
Carolyn
#3 of 7 Old 05-19-2002, 07:40 PM

Well, I just did this with my dd who absolutely screams about having a splinter removed. First, she took a bath to soften the area. Then before I started digging, I iced the area. I just rubbed an ice cube on her foot which she thought was really cool. I didn't leave there too long so I had to repeat the icing. Worked like a charm! Oh yeah, I have special splinter remover tweezers. Cannot remember where they came from tho.
#4 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 01:05 AM

I just removed one from my ds while he was asleep. I saw it in his finger earlier, but he wouldn't let me touch it. I just waited until he was good and asleep, got it with the tweezers and it came right out. It wasn't very deep to begin with though.

I do all kinds of things to the kids when they are asleep like clip their finger and toe nails and put on bandaids (because they just take them off when awake).
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Can I just leave them in his skin?

We held him down several times yesterday trying to get them out. I got part of the largest one, and then it broke in half, and the part that is left is hopelessly deep. He freaked. Screaming and yelling the whole time. The places I picked at with a pin/tweezers bled. He walked around after with his little arms crossed and his hands tucked beneath his armpits, shaking and sobbing. It was awful. awful. awful. My five year old sat in the next room crying while he listened to the baby screaming. Came in and hugged him saying "I feel so bad for you! I know it hurts!"

Today, he didn't seem to notice or be bothered by the peices that are left. I can't stand to traumatize him anymore. Can I just leave them alone? Will anything bad happen?
#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 02:47 PM

This may be a little off the wall but if the splinter is has a bit of surface you could try slapping alot a Elmer School Glue on his hand and letting it dry then peel off the dry glue the splinter will attach on to the glue and may come out .
I know he is a bit young but I have done this with my older kids and it worked ..My 2 year old likes putting glue on his hand and peeling it off....Good Luck
#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 03:37 PM

Most likely it will become infected. If it came from pressure treated wood, it DEFINITELY has to come out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page