4 year old with week long fever. anyone else ever experience this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 year old has had a cough and fever for a week.  Took her to the doctor on day 4 and he said it was viral.  She is acting fine and fever is fairly low at about 100.3.  She wakes up every morning with no fever and by 10:00 its back up over 100 and this lasts until bed time.  I have to admit that I am super paranoid about fevers (my older daughter just got over pneumonia a few weeks ago)  so I guess I am looking for reassurance more than anything.. Has anyone's child had a fever for this long and have it just be a viral thing?  

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Yes.  Last year my daughter had a virus where the fever lasted (between 100-103.7) for 9 days last spring.  I was so worried about her and took her to the doctor twice and called him several other times (and I never take my kids to the dr!).  He was always reassuring that it was a virus and they often last up to two weeks.  Sure enough, she was better a week later and was completely fine.  Good luck.  I know it feels so scary.

#3 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM

I would love to have a doctor who would send me home if it was viral...Here in Mexico they all just prescribe antibiotics, no matter what it is!  My 3 yr old has had a high fever (103/104) for four days or so, and as much as I hate them, I've been using fever reducers because he's just totally miserable without them.  The weird thing is there are absolutely no other symptoms--no pain, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, runny nose, nothing!  I took him to a doc on Friday and got a prescription for antibiotics and the doctor was inventing stuff about green mucus which LO totally didn't have, so I never bought the meds...Waiting for Monday to take him to another doc who isn't so trigger-happy with antibiotics. :(

As long as it's a low fever, I guess I wouldn't worry.  It is stressful, though!  Hope she's better soon...

Kenna

#4 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. We have never had a fever last longer than 3 days with a virus before so I am really concerned.  It helps to know that viruses do that sometime.  Thank you so much for sharing your story with me!

#5 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

oops..posted before I was finished.. Just wanted to wish your son a quick recovery and hopefully no need for antibiotics!

#6 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM

As it happened, the fever just went away on its own, just the night before I was going to take him to another doctor! It was nerve-wrecking, but now I know it can happen and I'll definitely wait it out a little next time. How's your daughter doing, gribbit?

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page