What is the most reliable brand of thermometer (for babies)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I was trying to conceive, I bought three different digital thermometers to use for tracking my fertility.  All of them were terrible.  I would get a reading that didn't seem like it could be right (like 93F), so I would take it again, and get a reading that was four degrees higher, then a third one that would be two degrees lower, and so forth.  Obviously, there was no good way to track my temperature from one day to the next, if the thermometer could not even get the same reading from one minute to the next.  This happened with CVS store brand, Rite Aid store brand, and Vicks.  Finally, I stopped buying new thermometers and just gave up that method.

Now I am pregnant (yay!), and we're going to need to get a thermometer for the baby, but which brand should I get?  Vicks is usually well rated, and I know a pediatrician who has a CVS brand thermometer for home use, yet both performed horribly for me.  I am looking for anything that can be used on an infant.  I assume that a digital thermometer to use in the rectum would be best, but I'm open to an ear thermometer, or any other kind, if they actually work.

#2 of 3 Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 PM

We have a temporal (forehead) thermometer and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Exergen-Temporal-Artery-Thermometer-TAT-2000C/dp/B000LJAEPQ

#3 of 3 Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM

I would check out the reviews on Amazon. I know they can be skewed by people creating accounts to drag a rating up or down but I've had great luck when relying on ratings/reviews. That said, I also need to buy a reliable thermometer...

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page