How long should the Mirena cause pain/discomfort? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the Mirena IUD put in a little more than 3 months ago. I expected spotting, especially since I already had a fair amount of it anyway, that doesn't bother me. What is bothering me is continued discomfort and flat out pain. Cramping, backache, general pelvic area pain, pain that feels like it's in/around my ovaries. I'm still relying on ibuprofen and/or the heating pad for at least 10 days each month. The pain tends to get some worse when my period would have shown up (that's been reduced to heavy spotting) but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I know discomfort can go on for a bit, but wondered if anyone had it go on for months. I don't want to have to take it out but I already have chronic pain issues and this isn't helping that at all. Any thoughts?

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM

I had it for two years and had some pain all the two years till i had them take it out- I was worried that something else was wrong causing the pain and only way to know was to take it out. Took it out pain stopped.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM

I don't think you should have pain for so long.  I'm on my second Mirena, and both times the discomfort lasted no more than a few hours to a day.  Have you had your doctor double check to make sure it's placed correctly?  Sorry you are having to deal with this for so long.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I had it for two years and had some pain all the two years till i had them take it out- I was worried that something else was wrong causing the pain and only way to know was to take it out. Took it out pain stopped.

Ugh, I can't imagine dealing with this for two years or even a few more months. It seems pretty clear it's related to the IUD, everything started the day it was inserted. Sigh, what a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunemama View Post

I don't think you should have pain for so long.  I'm on my second Mirena, and both times the discomfort lasted no more than a few hours to a day.  Have you had your doctor double check to make sure it's placed correctly?  Sorry you are having to deal with this for so long.

Thanks. I haven't had it checked but have been thinking a lot about that this week. Just today I was trying to decide if I should have my family doc check or the GYN who put it in. I guess I'll call my family doc to see how I need to work it because of Medicaid. FWIW, I can feel the strings just the same as from day one. Even if it's placed correctly, my body often reacts strongly to minor discomforts.

I know I at least need to have it checked out, just have been balking at that. And I'm pretty sure I'll just end up having it removed since it's giving me so much trouble. I just can't mentally or physically afford to have this pain on top of fibromyalgia.  Such a bummer because it's been nice not having to worry about getting pregnant, which I really can't have.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 AM

Oh and due to the medicaid it was VERY hard for me to find someone to take it out. They are not cheap and very high cost of birth control if you don't keep it in all 5 years. I finally did get a dr to do it but I definetly had to demand it and cause a fuss.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking about that too. I feel bad considering having it taken out 3 months after it was put in. I do my best to save the state money, especially since Oregon Medicaid will not recognize the diagnosis of fibromyalgia strictly as a cost-cutting measure.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 AM

i know dont feel bad your health comes first.  I have fibro symptoms too...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 AM

be prepared to have a fight on your hands tho- and be sure that you are saying it is painful- !!!  I kept being told it would get better- it did not for me.

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List