What is causing this diarrhea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I have a 4 month old who has had diarrhea for 12 days.  BMs are about 8 times a day, watery with a few 'chopped spinach-like' chunks, lots of gas.  No other symptoms like fever or rashes.  Breast milk only.  No sudden change in my diet, although we started giving a small quantity of probiotics daily on Jan 3rd for general wellness, as recommended by doctor.  It all started quite clearly on January 7th.

I talked to our doctor today (ND).  She suggested stopping the probiotics, a possible sensitivity to dairy, or to acid foods in my diet.  Mentioned a possible fore/hindmilk imbalance, but seemed to discard that idea since I am not pumping or having any leaking between feedings.  She does not think it is due to a virus/bacteria.

(nak)

It's just that none of these ideas seem to quite line up for me.

Probiotics - she assured me that these would not affect her digestion before I agreed to start them (argh!)

Sensitivities - sudden onset??  Maybe the acid foods, since I think we bought a box of clementines around then....

hind/foremilk - again, sudden onset? increased frequency of BMs?

So, I'm stopping the probiotics and watching my acid intake....  But does anyone have any insight here?  What does this sound like to you?

TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

To be honest, it just sounds strange.  Certainly makes sense to make things as much as possible like they were before the problem.  And it certainly sounds like it could've been a reaction to the clementines, but unless you ate them for a week, I would have expected the diarrhea to clear up by now.

How long have you NOT had the clementines?  Are you eating any other citrus (or is it used to naturally flavor anything)?  And when did you stop the pbx?  Do the pbx note dairy as an ingredient in any way? (I can't imagine--maybe lactose to flavor the powder?)

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd say that a box of clementines does last about a week around here.  DH buys them, but doesn't really eat them, so it's just DC1 and I.  I can't think of exactly when I stopped eating them ... just found the last couple in the forgotten box (the second box) about 2 days ago?  I don't really eat other citrus, so I agree - this seems like the most probable culprit.

Today is the first day without pbx.  They have no dairy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is strange!  On the up side, yesterday she had a couple less BMs, and today they are slightly more yellowish.  Maybe we're coming out of it??  She's just had more spitting up both days...

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page