Hives- Mycoplasma Pneumonia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This week I had a bad cough and was feeling under the weather.  Last night I broke out in a rash mostly on my legs but smaller patches everywhere.  The itching was horrible and I finally relaxed and fell asleep  for an hr only to wake up to more rashes.  They just moved.

So at 5 am I went to the 24 hr pharmacy and got benadryl which worked great.  But I am trying to avoid using it during the day especially.

So I read that high doses of vitamin C can really help which I am doing and it seems a little bettter-so far.  Took some zinc and a higher dose of D too.  Any other ideas?  I read back on the previous posts and there does not seem to be much info other than neem oil.    I tried fresh aloe to cool, ACV and coconut oil.  The aloe was the best.  I've never had hives before but I am thinking it must be related to the virus. I did take a combo of herbs last night which may have caused a reaction but I'm not sure.  Any tips would be appreciated. I should go to the cell salt thread and see if I can find any info.  I'm wondering if Silica or Nat mur would be best?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM

This may or may not be the answer your looking for however I'm confident you will be able to help yourself better by expanding your scope a bit. Chamomile works great on all sorts of dermal abnormalities it was even used to relieve those suffering through small and chicken pox infections. Applying a remedy to an ailment is usually affective but diagnosing a possible cause can benefit you very much in the long run. I'm not sure of your circumstancesbut I'll try to cover the spectrum as quickly as I can. Are you male or female are you pregnant. Are you abiding in a new place have you recently changed your bedding or brought anything new into the home like down filled pillows or comforters or a new rug or carpet are they hives or have you recently been hiking in or around wilderness. Your symptoms can be caused by alot of things from exposure to a manmade chemical or a naturally occuring plant enzyme. Having fever-like symptoms points to you possibly being exposed to something that isn't agreeing with you. Also you should check your air filter on your ac unit it may have gotten wet from some small leaking which is now molding and causing your condition. Any leak in a home with low air exchange can cause the inhabitants to feel a little down one day the next few days to be caughing and as time passes to progress to the state your in now. There are many other variants in your home and or your environment that can cause pretty severe reactions in most people. So just take a moment to think about things that have happened in the past week that are different from the norm and if you have contracted a virus from someone you have had contact with then really the only thing is rest antibiotics ointments and waiting it out, until your immune system acclamates itself ad fights of the invasive organism or fungus or bacteria. It is a good idea to go directly to the hospital if you begin to be short of breath because that will mean the illness is speading through your  respiratory system. Take good care yourself and get better soon but definately don't take any chances, if your symptoms only worsen then you will likely need some medical attention. Hope this helps you.   

#3 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.  I am female, not pregnant,nothing new in my home and I have never had any allergies.   I have not used anything different.  I don't get sick often but my son is in preschool and maybe once or twice a year I get it.  My illness this week started out feeling very tired and then I was achey ( legs and back) for days along with this cough.  Its hard o get rest when you have a 5 yr old and I also work from home.  Interesting you bring up the  air condition.  We have had a musty smell coming from it for a while.  I have been bugging my husband to get  the air tested for mold.

We live in the south and it is very humid here along the water.  We recently had the owner of the a/c company come over and look at the unit b/c it is fairlly new-last 5 yrs and its not removing humidity well..  I had him look in the ducts and the a/c and he said it was not mold.  He has seen endless places with mold but did agree that it was kinda musty smelling.  I trust he knows what mold looks like.  He is the owner and has been doing this for 50 yrs.  But he is not a mold expert.

For the past few months I have had post nasal drip as well and cannot expalin why. I eat only whole unprcessed foods, fresh juiceing etc etc.  I do very little dairy and have never had a problem.  The only thing I could blame it the one cup of coffee I have in the morning.  Maybe it does have to do with this air condition unit-maybe it is mold.  I did not have a fever at all.  Well, the antihistamines do take away the hives but I am trying not to use them except for sleeping at night.     Going to research mold again.  thanks for your input.

P.s The upstairs neighbor also let their bathtub overflow last year and the water came thru parts of our ceiling  We had a contractor come look and he said it was all dry. 

#4 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

The chamomile-do you mean topically ?

#5 of 15 Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Have you tried Hyland's Hives remedy? It works really well for us.  I usually need to give several doses, but it starts working quickly and really helps w/ itching.

#6 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I am going to WF now to pick up the Hylands Hive Remedy.  After a little more research I read the hives can  break out if you clothing on that is too tight.  I was wearing leggings that have an elastic waistband and all of a sudden I felt like I was bitten by a mosquito and I kept scratching, then it moved to the other side and I thought maybe there were fleas in the house.  This happed before but in a very mild case just one small spot and I thought it was bug bites.  It went away quiclky.  Had no idea something so weird could happen.  The rash is still coming and going.  All of a suddden its here and then a few hrs later its gone.

#7 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM

A good home remedy for hives is baking soda mixed with some water to make a thin paste. Helps with the itching. 

I've also read that essential fatty acids (ev primrose oil for e.g.) help long term with combatting allergies so you could try that in addition to the Vitamin C, D etc.

With homeopathy, it is better to find the single remedy that matches your symptoms and although the Hylands remedies can be effective, they're a bit of a hit and miss. If you have recurring hives, see if you can find a local homeopath to help as he/she can help with addressing any underlying causes.

I know from personal experience how bad hives are so I sympathize :-(

Good luck!

mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I took three hylands homepathic pills and mixed up some baking soda wwater.  It felt great for about 1/2 hr and then I went to the bathroom and  looked at my skin and all I could think was- it spread like wildfire.  My entire back, chest area wrists etc. Everything burning. Could I have made it too strong?  I don't get these hives!  Its so frustrating.  I have never had any allergy to anything.  I'm so mad b/c I am going to have to resort to using the benadryl again tonight. I cannot sleep without it. I was good all day.  A patch here or there but nothing too bad.   I've been taking extra vit C and lots of vit D.  I also have a bad cough so it really is horrible. I think I have bronchitis -another thing I don't know how I got. 

#9 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Have you tried an oatmeal bath yet?  

Ok, just took the time to read the whole thread.  Have you considered speaking to a naturopath?  My mom had a rash like this, and her doctor could not figure out what it was.  Finally, she was referred to an excellent naturopath who discovered that she was mercury toxic from having old fillings removed!  She started following the diet and supplements he prescribed, and (after having the rash for months) the rash cleared within the week!

I agree with PPs who've suggested it may be environmental...mold or something else.

Edited again to add that following his diet/supplements also improved her asthma drastically to the point that she could stop her medications!!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Tried the baking soda and water and it felt great for about 1/2 hr and then it spread like wildfire!..All over my back and chest, burning,itching-horrible.

It seems manageable in the day and worse at night.  Maybe I put too much baking soda in?  Its so bad right now.  Can't understand how I got this crazy thing.  Gonna have to resort to benadryl again.  I get so down on natural healing. I always seem to have to resort to some kind of drug for things.Took the homeopathic pills too and did not help tonight.

#11 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Have not tried any bath b/c I need to use cold water and with the cough I don't think its a good idea.  I eat super healthy,exercise , juice numerous times a week.  I have been

like this my entire life.  I did have 2 mercury fillings removed about 6 months ago and took numerous supplements for detox.  I went to a mercury free doctor who used all

the protocol too. Thanks for the tips.  Maybe I'll have my mecury levels tested.

#12 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

Have not tried any bath b/c I need to use cold water and with the cough I don't think its a good idea.  I eat super healthy,exercise , juice numerous times a week.  I have been

like this my entire life.  I did have 2 mercury fillings removed about 6 months ago and took numerous supplements for detox.  I went to a mercury free doctor who used all

the protocol too. Thanks for the tips.  Maybe I'll have my mecury levels tested.

Not saying it's necessarily mercury affecting you...perhaps something else?  Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#13 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Don't think the baking soda would have made it spread. It's neutral and alkaline and shouldn't aggravate. The homeopathic remedies could have aggravated as sometimes symptoms can get worse before they get better with homeopathy and since this is a combination remedy, it's hard to say which one. I would not take any more.

Agree that a naturopath or homeopath might be the best course of action if the hives don't subside. Also try GSE & Echinacea for more immunity support. GSE is great but bitter - you need to take 10-15 drops in some juice to mask the taste. It is a good detox agent overall too so might help get rid of whatever the underlying cause is. Do it for a week at least as IMO it takes at least a few days to kick in. 

I'm so sorry you are feeling so uncomfortable. 

Warm wishes for a quick recovery xx

mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to update this thread because I found out what was causing the hives.  Shortly after I had the hives my DS started getting a sore throat, cough, fever and then broke out in hives!!  I was determined to find

out what it was and did some research.  Found out  it was Mycoplasma Pneumonia.  Took my DS to the pedi the following day and that was exactly what he said it was before I even mentioned it. He said it

is very common to get hives w any illness but w Mycoplasma more common.  It has been a horrible bug.  I resisted taking antibiotics since I thought it was viral.  My cough was horrible, in my lungs, coughing up mucous for weeks.  I am still coughing but much better.  I got it bad b/c during this I had sleepless nights since my DS was sick and plus the hives kept me up an entire night!  So pedi says Mycoplasma is very common.  Spoke to a friend whose son also had it while we had it. My DS and DH got antiobiotics immediately so they got better quick. I still cannot beleive it hit me so hard since 99% of the time I do not get sick and I eat super healthy. I think the lack of sleep did me in.  Its been a rough 4 weeks of dealing w this.

#15 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 AM

Was going to suggest a chest x-ray for pneumonia. I am due for one. My allergist found that my microplasm was extremely elevated, an indication of walking pneumonia. In the meantime, Xyrtec and Caladryl lotion work very for easing the hives.

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List