Homeopathy and herbal treatments for shingles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'm 25 weeks pg, and I just found out that I have shingles.  I'm on day 3 or 4 of the rash, which is thankfully in a spot where it is pretty well protected from being touched and from impulsive scratching.  I'm not having any pain, at this point, although it does hurt some if I touch it directly (which I'm avoiding anyway), and sometimes it's just slightly annoying. 

I really do NOT want to take anti-viral meds.  Does anyone have any recommendations for homeopathy or herbal remedies?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How close are you to Escondido? There's an amazing classical homeopath that way........initial visit is kind of pricey, but he's amazing. PM me for more infol.

broc1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh man, I am sorry! I don't post much on here but wanted to reply because I also had shingles as a young woman. My daughter (now 7) was 2 and still actively nursing. She ended up getting chicken pox from the exposure. :(

Anyway, are you sure it is shingles? Being on day 3 or 4 and not having any pain doesn't sound right to me. Is it just on one side of your spine? Because I believe shingles only affects one side of the body -- but don't quote me on that -- it has been a LONG time since I have studied about this.

The best natural remedies I know about are licorice, proteolytic enzymes, lemon balm, St. John's Wort,  and skullcap. I would suggest talking to your midwife or OB about these remedies though. There are different opinions out there about licorice and pregnancy.  Skullcap and Lemon Balm are generally regarded as safe during pregnancy. Also, mixing cayenne pepper in your lotion or oil and applying topically is a good remedy for itching, pain and to speed healing.

Here are a few websites that give specific dose information.

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/shingles/shingles_herbs.htm

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/shingles.htm

Good luck!

Rachel

#4 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Mom View Post

How close are you to Escondido? There's an amazing classical homeopath that way........initial visit is kind of pricey, but he's amazing. PM me for more infol.

Thank  you!  I was able to schedule a phone consult for tomorrow with a homeopath in Del Mar (I'm actually in Riverside County, though).  I went to a seminar that she did a few weeks ago, so I contacted her right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post

Oh man, I am sorry! I don't post much on here but wanted to reply because I also had shingles as a young woman. My daughter (now 7) was 2 and still actively nursing. She ended up getting chicken pox from the exposure. :(

Anyway, are you sure it is shingles? Being on day 3 or 4 and not having any pain doesn't sound right to me. Is it just on one side of your spine? Because I believe shingles only affects one side of the body -- but don't quote me on that -- it has been a LONG time since I have studied about this.

The best natural remedies I know about are licorice, proteolytic enzymes, lemon balm, St. John's Wort,  and skullcap. I would suggest talking to your midwife or OB about these remedies though. There are different opinions out there about licorice and pregnancy.  Skullcap and Lemon Balm are generally regarded as safe during pregnancy. Also, mixing cayenne pepper in your lotion or oil and applying topically is a good remedy for itching, pain and to speed healing.

Here are a few websites that give specific dose information.

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/shingles/shingles_herbs.htm

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/shingles.htm

Good luck!

Rachel

Thank you for the info, Rachel!  I'm about 99% positive that it's shingles.  I've done a LOT of Googling in the last 36 hours, and there just isn't anything else that matches up with it.  I have read about younger people sometimes having less pain, so I'm guessing that's why I'm not hurting too much.  I did discover a little bit ago that if I put any pressure on it or just touch it lightly, it does hurt. 

Just before reading this, I sent my mw an text about lemon balm.  :)

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page