DD exposed to 'possible' case of pertussis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD started a dance class last week and I got a call today that someone in the class on the first day is being seen with a suspected case of whooping cough. 

DD today is getting a runny nose.

She is unvaxed.

I'm wondering if she takes antibiotics ASAP will that help prevent anything?  I know that I've read that if you wait until the whoop starts, antibiotics do NO good to decrease symptoms and in fact maybe make them worse.  But what if she takes them now before any cough even starts? 

Also, are you contagious before any symptoms begin?  In other words, if my son has NO runny nose, NO fever or any sign of illness, can I send him to piano class?

With DD getting a runny nose, I think I'll keep her home from school just in case and maybe start antibiotics ...

If anyone knows about the usefulness of antibiotics for someone JUST getting pertussis, that would help me a lot.  Still also reading archives and googling ... thanks!!!

#2 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 AM

How old is she?

#3 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

She is 3.  Almost 4.

#4 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Isn't pertussis considered most dangerous for ages 6 months and younger?  

I would just do the usual, make sure they get enough sleep, hand washing, proper diet and hydration, supplements. That way their little immune systems can hopefully handle whatever they come into contact with. I wouldn't choose to do abx as preventative. I don't even like them when they are needed tbh, but I do cave if there is an infection present.

Wouldn't pertussis be viral anyway? 

#5 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

No it's a bacterium.

So they totally blew me off about antibiotics anyway.  I ordered sodium ascorbate to be overnighted so we'll start that tomorrow and wait and see, I guess.  I hope I am able to find out if the pertussis at dance class is 'confirmed', though, because then we won't be going back (the class was L.A.M.E., anyway!  My DD looks to be the oldest kid in the class and it was SO chaotic - an entire hour of one teacher trying to wrangle a bunch of hyper toddlers, LOL, NOT what I had hoped for for DD, who is a pretty 'serious' dancer ... lol - not really, but she thinks she knows everything from watching Angelina) ;)

#6 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Some interesting studies posted by Hilary Butler on how taking antibiotiocs for pertussis actually makes it worse.

http://beyondvaccination.com/showthread.php?453-Antiobiotics-make-whooping-cough-worse.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I called to get more info today.  The girl's (that DD was exposed to) sibling had confirmed pertussis.  The girl wasn't herself tested and they will just go by the duration of cough to diagnosis her as a 'confirmed' case. 

DD still has the sniffles - has coughed a couple times today but seems like 'just a cold' - which I realize is the same symptoms as pertussis.  The Sodium Ascorbate comes today and I will start giving her that and hope she just gets better and that it's just a cold.

Meanwhile I told DS's piano teacher about the situation and she chose not to have DS's lesson today (he has no symptoms) ... the worst part about this stuff is the quarantine!!    Hope it all blows over fast!

I remember reading posts by that Momtezuma  here on MDC - she sounds VERY knowledgeable ... does anyone have any criticism of her theory on the endotoxin thing?  It all sounds plausible to me.

#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM

My son's school (K-12) just had an outbreak of pertussis three weeks ago, as well as chicken pox.  We had more than 10 cases confirmed and did a hospital de contamination over a weekend.  Some advice that I got from a very knowledgeable mama on here - was the sodium ascorbate and hand washing.  We were told 5 days of antibiotics (z-pack) before any kiddo who was symptomatic could come back to school.  Because these guys are all in multi age class rooms and are all over the school for 6-8 hours a piece the exposure risk was greater.  Was the child already on anti biotics when you were exposed?  If that's the case I wouldn't worry.

#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I do not believe she was on antibiotics at that point.

#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just wanted to say that exposure doesn't equal infection. My DH and DS had pertussis back in 2009. We didn't have it confirmed, but it fit the CDC's probable clinical case description right down to DS's whooping and vomiting. DD was also not vaccinated and despite living in the same house, she never came down with it.

She also had a notice sent home from school in November of several confirmed cases in the school. Again, no infection.

I'd have the SA on hand, but I personally wouldn't be worried about it at this point. From what I've read the endotoxin theory seems valid and reasonable. We used the SA protocol on DS. It made a huge difference in his cough once we achieved the necessary levels. It was like night and day--the vomiting stopped, the intensity of the coughing was a lot less.

And yes, the quarantine is a must and is the hard part. Especially when the LO starts to feel better and isn't "acting" sick. Mine would be up running around and playing, stop, cough and go back to playing again.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.  I ended up getting antibiotics today.  I know she isn't necessarily infected, but her symptoms are right in line timewise and with her exposure ... I just have a gut feeling.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, it's a done deal.  Hopefully I'm not making a mistake.  I know one thing, I am NOT willing to stay quarantined for the entire length of her illness, so either way she's going to need antibiotics if she does have it - and if she just has a coincidental cold, then she's getting antibiotics for nothing ... which I really hate to do, but she's never had them before so I feel OK taking the risk. 

The nurse told me something I believe is not correct, though.  She said if she has it and is taking the antibiotic now, she 'won't get the cough', which since she's had a runny nose for 48 hours, IF she is getting pertussis, then she WILL have coughing even if we kill the bug before the coughing starts ... correct?  And in fact, some studies showed the antibiotics in the catarrhal stage didn't even lessen symptoms - but other places I read it did lessen them (and that makes sense to me) ... so we'll find out, I guess. 

#12 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaFinch View Post

Thanks for all the replies.  I ended up getting antibiotics today.  I know she isn't necessarily infected, but her symptoms are right in line timewise and with her exposure ... I just have a gut feeling.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, it's a done deal.  Hopefully I'm not making a mistake.  I know one thing, I am NOT willing to stay quarantined for the entire length of her illness, so either way she's going to need antibiotics if she does have it - and if she just has a coincidental cold, then she's getting antibiotics for nothing ... which I really hate to do, but she's never had them before so I feel OK taking the risk. 

The nurse told me something I believe is not correct, though.  She said if she has it and is taking the antibiotic now, she 'won't get the cough', which since she's had a runny nose for 48 hours, IF she is getting pertussis, then she WILL have coughing even if we kill the bug before the coughing starts ... correct?  And in fact, some studies showed the antibiotics in the catarrhal stage didn't even lessen symptoms - but other places I read it did lessen them (and that makes sense to me) ... so we'll find out, I guess. 

You should really ask to have her tested so you know for sure.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page