Oh god I am absolutely terrified. I just found out that I have been drinking my daily glass of wine (sometimes two) from lead crystal glasses! My mother gave me a set of them last Christmas and I have been doing this for a whole year. During the first three months I was still nursing my youngest. I had no idea this crystal had lead in it although I should have known better. I have been so careful to limit our exposures of toxins and poisons. Someone please help calm me down because I am shaking and so so scared. Im going to see my doc tomorrow to get a blood test to find out if I have lead poisoning.
Don't tell me lead crystal is bad!
I am a dish fanatic and had my head in the sand over that one.
The information is conflicting, but I am convinced it is bad. The real danger seems to be storing anything in it as it leaches out over time, but apparently a small amount of lead leaches out in the time it takes to drink a glass of wine. I am just appalled. I am getting my blood tested today and will let you know the results. I am quite panicked. How are they allowed to sell this stuff? Never mind, dumb question.
ETA: Also, mine was new and apparently you are supposed to soak it overnight in vinegar before use to get the excess lead off, which I did not do. I used all the glasses without doing this. I had a 20-month nursling at that time! I am so sad and angry.