Does this look like Staph? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD's Finger

This is my 19 month old DD's finger. It has been a little red and puffy for the last couple days, with a little mark in the center. Today is day 3, and now there is what looks to be a tiny pus blister where the mark was, with a dot in the middle. It is warmer to the touch and certainly sensitive. The redness and swelling have not changed, either to increase or decrease, for the duration.

I've just been keeping it clean and keeping an eye on it so far. I was figuring she nicked herself on a branch or thorn outside, or possibly one of the cats poked her one, (who knows?) and it was a bit irritated. I wasn't really worried about infection, though, until today with the advent of the blister.

I've not put anything on it, because whatever little poke got her in the first place was already closed by the time it was anything other than a teeny tiny nick, which I normally don't worry about. Is there a point to putting hydrogen peroxide on it if it is closed?

I've been trying to look up what it might be, and ooohhh, the images google gives you! horrors.gifThe only thing I saw that looked similar before I couldn't scroll through any more horrible pictures was Staph infection, and this didn't look nearly as bad as any of those images at that, but maybe they were farther progressed than this is?

Anyway, I would appreciate any knowledge you may be able to share, either on what it is, a simple, minor infection? Staph? Something else? Or what you would do about it. Thanks in advance. loveeyes.gif

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#2 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My husband always pops them if they look like that and then uses the peroxide and maybe some neosporin. They generally clear up pretty quickly after that. We've only had one instance where we had to go in for antibiotics and there was no mention of staph.

eta: if she got a splinter from getting poked, it is probably not going to clear up until you get it out.

#3 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM

That does look like when I had staph on my toes, to be honest.  If you're not taking her to the doctor, I'd put hydrogen peroxide on it often, as well as manuka honey.  If you can get her to eat raw garlic, even better.  Definitely keep an eye on it and if she develops a red streak on her finger or hand, take her to the doctor right away, because that could be a sign that the infection is spreading.

That said, I hope it's just an irritation.  :)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The red streak is really what I was keeping an eye on it for after it became red, puffy, and irritated looking, so I was surprised today by this little zit-like apparition. I don't remember seeing anything like that occur before. It honestly doesn't actually look bad, and she doesn't complain about it, or appear to take any notice of it, unless she smacks it on something.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any experience with Staph, though, so I've no idea if I should be terrified about it, or treat it as any other infected wound unless it starts looking worse.

I will take her to the doctor if there seems to be good reason, but what I consider "good reason" to take my children to the doctor is probably a bar set much higher than your average person. redface.gif

#6 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

I don't have any experience with Staph, though, so I've no idea if I should be terrified about it, or treat it as any other infected wound unless it starts looking worse.

I will take her to the doctor if there seems to be good reason, but what I consider "good reason" to take my children to the doctor is probably a bar set much higher than your average person. redface.gif

I completely understand.  When I had staph, it was really painful.  My foot was swollen and sore for 2-3 after I started antibiotics, and the antibiotics made me ill.

I have eczema on my feet, so I'm more prone to developing a recurring staph infection, but after 3 bouts with it last summer, I got some manuka honey and pickled raw garlic, and whenever I feel like my feet are in bad shape, I start slathering them with the honey and eating the garlic.  I haven't had a recurrence since.  It may be a coincidence but it doesn't seem like it to me!

#7 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 AM

How is she doing now?

#8 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

DD's Finger

It is much better now! I found out that I should not use hydrogen peroxide on it (oops!) because it kills everything, including all the good bacteria. I also found out that since some amount of Staph is always living on your skin, anytime you get an infection, Staph is most likely involved. (Oh.)

So I washed it frequently with just water to keep it clean, and we took a long warm bath with epsom salts in it. Either during the bath, or shortly thereafter, it opened up and drained and has been healing up since. You can see it on her middle finger there. This picture is from today and the swelling, blister, and most of the redness are gone. There is just a little scab and redness left, getting a bit better every day.

Thank you for asking, and thank you everyone for your responses! orngbiggrin.gif

#9 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I also made a veggie noodle soup with lots of garlic in it. She wasn't interested in the garlic raw, which didn't exactly surprise me. lol.gif But, hey! Worth a shot, eh? She just likes to peel it. orngbiggrin.gif She loved the soup, though!

I also wanted to add that it is not that I doubt your honey advice, but we are vegan and so don't use honey. shy.gif

Bokonon likes this.

#10 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh yeah staph is everywhere. The majority of healthy skin is covered by staphylococcus epidermidis. Razor burn and zits are both types of 'staph infections' usually when there is a break in the skin (from the pore or a razor nic) the normal flora will get trapped under the skin and produce several generations of bacteria before popping and finding it's way back to the surface where it belongs. It is only when all the good staph is gone (antibacterial soaps and lotions) that you really have to worry about pathogenic staph infections! I love microbiology;)

be good family...

#11 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh and I'm glad you dd appears to be doing better:) One thing I like to do when mine gets all scraped up either from chickens or roses is after washing her had with tea tree oil soap is using coconut oil as a lotion to help protect the skin.

be good family...

#12 of 12 Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Oh yeah staph is everywhere. The majority of healthy skin is covered by staphylococcus epidermidis. Razor burn and zits are both types of 'staph infections' usually when there is a break in the skin (from the pore or a razor nic) the normal flora will get trapped under the skin and produce several generations of bacteria before popping and finding it's way back to the surface where it belongs. It is only when all the good staph is gone (antibacterial soaps and lotions) that you really have to worry about pathogenic staph infections! I love microbiology;)

Sorry if I'm hijacking here... but I have had very small but recurring staph infections lately after taking antibiotics. It's really starting to stress me out. I have been using antibac soap all over my body...should I not be doing this? I'm really new to learning about staph and I'm trying to find the time to read about it. The more I read the more I freak. :( I'm pretty sure my husband has it in his nose- he has these boils every now and then that he can't see, but are extremely painful and drain slowly and nastily then are gone. But they come back every once in a while and reading about staph now, I think that's what those are. My staph is in the form of little painful pimples that form a white-head and I get them in my armpits and on my butt. My DS has recurring oozing eye infections and now I fear it ALL may be related and we are all infected with this. 

I forgot where I'm going here...but I'm stressed about it and I don't want to take even more antibiotics which is how the problem started in the first place. I need help. I read about how people's whole lives are destroyed by staph and how dangerous it is and I'm just terrified and not sure what to do at this point.

Any ideas, oh wise moms?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page