how far in advance do you tell your child they'll be getting a shot at the doctor's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD (age 4) will be getting a shot at her upcoming doctor's visit, but hasn't gotten one in a long time -- my guess she doesn't remember the last one. (Although she does know the concept from kids at her preschool, from the shot in her play doctor's kit, etc.)

How far in advance do you tell your child they'll be getting a shot? What do you find is best for minimizing the child's stress but generally trying to be an honest, not deceitful/manipulative parent? A few days? The morning of the doctor's visit? On your way to the doctor's office? Wait until it comes up at the visit itself?

We'll also have her baby sister with us at the visit, and the baby will also be getting her first shot (so my older DD has never seen the baby get one). I'm guessing the doctor/nurse staff will have an opinion as to which goes first, but if you think there's definitely a better/worse order, I welcome advice on this, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess that it depends on the child's personality. I would tell my DD the same day - she would not like to be surprised, but no need to let her mull over it longer than necessary. I tell her the truth - that it will feel like a sharp pinch for few seconds. It may "burn" as it goes in or be a bot sore afterward. I also let her know that the pain is quick/short-lived.

As for who goes first, I would suggest that your older one does so, so that is is not frightened by the (more likely) crying/screaming of the baby.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page