Cough and fever in toddler/preschooler -- what to do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My little guy has some sort of lung infection for the second time this winter. He's coughing so much it makes him vomit. It sounds like his chest is congested, but he says nothing comes up when he coughs (unless he throws up). He has a low fever, which I decided to let do its thing, but how long is that supposed to take?

He is 4, but very small (like the size of an average 2 yo) and I don't like giving meds anyway after all the children's cold meds were suddenly so unsafe they all had to be pulled from the shelves. I have been giving him Boiron Chestal (homeopathic cough syrup) but it doesn't seem to be helping much. At night he has the humidifer on and the natural version of Vick's VapoRub smeared all over his chest.

Should I try one of the homemade recipes for cough syrup? Leave him alone? Give him Tylenol for the fever (it's been off and on for about a day and a half now, never over 101 F)? Is there anything I can do to stop a coughing fit so it doesn't end with vomiting? He coughs, it feels awful, he cries, makes it worse. If I can get him to calm down, it's fine. Otherwise.... And the more he vomits, the more upset he gets the next time he coughs, b/c he doesn't want to throw up again. So it's a never-ending cycle. Any advice?

#2 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering how everything turned out for you and your LO... did he get better on his own or did you end up going to a dr?

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#3 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

It turned out to be pneumonia. We found out b/c he developed an ear infection and I had to take him to urgent care since his doctor couldn't see him til late in the day and it was only 1030 and he was SCREAMING in pain. When they asked about other symptoms I told them about his cough and the doctor listened and said she knew it was pneumonia but sent him for a chest x-ray to be sure. I'm not sure how long I would have waited (probably only a week) to get him to the doctor but I'm glad we ended up finding out when we did.

#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks -- I was curious because the story sounded a lot like what we were going through with my 5yo daughter the past few days.  We ended up taking her in this afternoon and yeah, sure enough it was pneumonia.  She's been admitted for a couple days and I just got home (daddy is staying with her overnight) and read your reply.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#5 of 5 Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Poor thing. It's miserable. I hope she feels better soon!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page