alternative to petrolatum for wound care? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a mole removed and another biopsied for possible cancer. The dermatologist is having me put white petrolatum on the two wounds to speed healing, but I'm not all that thrilled with having the stuff in direct contact with my bloodstream. What else can I use that's safe?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 AM

Perhaps you could look into calendula.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#3 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 AM

I use Shea Moisture's Organic Raw Shea, Chamomile and Argan Oil Baby Head-to-Toe Ointment (whew - what a mouthful!!!) in place of petrolatum for lots of things, from hands/baby bottom/chapstick to replacing the A&D ointment I still have to put on my son's circumcision to keep it from adhering  (please don't fly in and attack me - it's already done, and yes, I do have some serious regrets).

While that is not an open wound anymore, it is still a bit of a raw area and I've used it with no problems.  You may want to take a look at the ingredients first to make sure you're not sensitive.  That said, when I had a mole removed, I didn't even think about it - just used what they gave me - but it would probably work!  You can get it at Target or Walgreens.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 4 Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Lanolin. That would provide a nice barrier, and its natural.

pickle18 likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page