Chicken Pox treatment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 year old caught chicken pox from me when I had shingles. I did all kinds of things to try to help him, but he had about 5-6 very large, angry pox that are now big craters. The scabs fell off too early and I'm wondering if it's because I gave him really long baths or put too much oil on him. He did not scratch because they didn't really itch. Now he will have those deep scars forever because the fatty tissue under the top layer of skin is gone. :(

His older brother (6) and his younger brother (10 months) caught it from him, and I want to do better for them. The pox started showing up today. The older one is already wanting to scratch. I've started applying coconut oil.

After extensive google searches and reading, I had a list of things to use, but not many instructions on how or when. I read hundreds of CP posts here and didn't get much info about treatment.

Please look at my treatment program for my 3-year-old and tell me what I did right and what I did wrong.

• Pre-eruption - day 1 of pox: Did nothing
  • Day 2: Applied coconut oil
  • Day 2-4: Hour-long baths with infant oatmeal and baking soda. Applied coconut oil. Started giving him smoothies loaded with all the supplements I've heard will help.
  • Day 5-7: Hour-long baths with pau d'arco tea, strained regular oatmeal, coconut oil, local honey, baking soda, and some infant oatmeal again. I applied bentonite clay after the bath. Later applied coconut oil. Also applied weleda diaper rash cream to bad ones (this was an accident as it looks just like the calendula cream). Continued with smoothies.
  • After scabs fell off: Applied honey, then vit E. He hates both, so I'm not doing much now. I'm worried about bad scarring.

I've heard about all kinds of things to apply, but I guess the main questions I have are when to apply what (e.g., when to keep them oiled and when to dry them out, how long to soak). And maybe I should try a green clay mask in the early stages? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM

My kids had (thankfully) mild cases, but at least 2 of them have scars. My 6.5 year old dd has one right on her cheek, and ds has one on his forehead. 

I didn't do many baths and things, they didn't want. I tried to keep them from scratching, but that doesn't always work. They did a lot of swimming (it was July), in a pool I filled up outside. I'm thinking if we used the oatmeal. I remember there was something about it, but I'm thinking the doctor said not to.

Sorry I know that wasn't much help, just wanted to let you know you are  not alone, and your child won't be the only one with a scar.

Hope everyone feels better soon and has mild cases. And hope your shingles are all better. I had that in college and it was awful! I was scared I would get it again when the kids got the pox, but thankfully I was spared.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM

We did no bathes, no ointments other then Calamine, and 1 kid still ended up with scars. The one that is most visible is on her forehead and I remember a shirt that I was putting on her caught a scab and yanked it off. Scabs off too early= scars. Sometimes there isn't just anything you can do about it despite our best efforts. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Sometimes there isn't just anything you can do about it despite our best efforts. 

Yep. Typically the only scars dd seems to have are on her face. However, they have faded quite a bit and they aren't really noticeable at conversational distance now unless you know to look for them.

#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I dont know about any of this but just wanted to say how amazing I think you are for trying so hard and doing all the things that you did for your child.  Most parents that I know of might put them in a bath with oatmeal and rub some ointment on them, thats all.  I think you went beyond what most moms (that I know personally anyway) would do, and you did lots of research as well (which no one that I know does).  I really need to get a plan down for when mine get chicken pox, so let me know if you figure anything more out:)

#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM

I don't think you did anything "wrong" with how you treated your son, some kids just scar. shrug.gif It's amazing that you went through so much work to try and help your son feel better and not scar. Good for you, but honestly you probably don't need to go through quite as much with the other two. When my son had chicken pox a couple of months ago, I had a really hard time finding any treatments or natural healing tips for him so I ended up just giving him essential oil baths (lavender), dabbing apple cider vinegar on the spots and rubbing his whole body in coconut oil. I found the coconut oil really helped the most. Lavender essential oil is also good for preventing/reducing scarring so you might want to try putting some on your son's scars, you could mix it in a carrier oil or put it in his baths. Hmmmm.... I'm trying to answer your question about when to dry them out and when to put the coconut oil on, but I honestly can't remember what exactly I did. I think I gave him a bath twice a day, morning and evening, one bath I would put apple cider vinegar in and the next I would put lavender EO and oatmeal in. I would dab the ACV on after the bath and then rub the coconut oil all over him before I dressed him or put him in his pajamas.

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page