Side effects from oral steroids due to respiratory issues? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background:

DS is 20 months old and a few months ago was diagnosed with pneumonia via x-ray (treated with antibiotics) followed soon after with a bout of bronchitis (treated with another round of antibiotics).

Since birth and throughout infancy, DS always had a cry that started with a croupy sounding cough. We were told that it's just the way he cries. He doesn't make that sound anymore.

DS had croup as an infant (diagnosed by us), we treated with walks in the cold air and hot steamy bathrooms.

Today:

DS had a cold 2 weeks ago that lasted a few days and then progressed to a croupy sounding cough. He coughed occasionally and sometimes at night but it never woke him. Two days ago, DS started coughing a lot, the frequency was a bit alarming, and then he coughed until he vomited. We brought him to ER because we were told that coughing until vomiting was a sign of pneumonia. As we were being admitted DS proceeded to cough continuously and vomit. We were seen right away by a doctor. DS was treated with a mask (I'm not sure the name of the medicine) for 7 minutes  - relief lasted about 10 minutes) and then had an x-ray which ruled out pneumonia.

DS stopped coughing as much after a couple of hours and wasn't vomiting anymore but doctor wasn't comfortable sending us home without being seen by a pediatrician.

So, long story short, we were told it's possibly a reaction to a virus and/or bacterial infection. We declined antibiotics but he suggested oral steroids to help with his breathing over night and the next day. We agreed to the oral steroids and this is where I'm feeling like a terrible mother as I've now heard of terrible side effects, didn't even think to ask at the time.

Please advise, what should I be worried about or looking for now that DS has taken a dose of oral steroids? And DS is constantly wheezy now and still having coughing fits so what should I be ok with in terms of being prescribed medications and what should I ask for alternatives for... I'm assuming he'll need meds as time doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice or helpful links are appreciated.

Mama to Chu born July 2010

Excitedly expecting somebody new in August 2012

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page